Some new levels for the Ghost Forest

Some new levels for the Ghost Forest

Postby WeLuvGoatz » 25 Jul 2018, 15:45

Here are some levels I have spent a long time on. I hope you enjoy them. You can also find these on GitHub. It would be nice if they were in the Forest World! I am gonna continually add to this list. Please leave feedback and have a nice day! :) :)

EDIT: I have added a few changes and a new level! Please check it out! I will leave the original here too.
Attachments
ForestLevsV3.zip
(31.63 KiB) Downloaded 392 times
gforestlevs.zip
(26.17 KiB) Downloaded 388 times
Last edited by WeLuvGoatz on 29 Jul 2018, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.
No.
WeLuvGoatz
SuperTux Moderator

Re: Some new levels for the Ghost Forest

Postby manuel » 26 Jul 2018, 08:14

I really liked your levels, the design is quite close to being perfect :) . I liked your decent use of scripting.
And now more detailed information about each of the levels:

The Forest is Rotting:
- I really liked your idea with the Skullyhops jumping out of the gravestones.
- Good use of special effects, like the shaking at the end of the level.
- Some places are a bit difficult without an ice flower, but that's okay.
- I got smashed a bit too often at the end of the level. It would probably help if the falling blocks would shake first before they fall down.

I Spy With my Little Eye:
The level is designed as well as the rest of the world, however I have some problems with the second castle in the level. It reminded my too much at other levels from the Forest World. The bridge going into the pit was like the one in "El Castillo" and the rotating platforms around the Eye Spy are nearly exactly the same as in "Silent Walls". Also, the castle was a bit like "Have an ice flower or get hit", especially with the two Jumpys.

Down the Rabbit Hole:
Please no use of death traps the player cannot know of. Apart from this, I really liked it. It's a fair difficult level with some good challenges.
manuel

Postby WeLuvGoatz » 26 Jul 2018, 17:05

Down the Rabbit hole functions as a bonus level. Bonus Level also has some traps that were unknown to me. In I Spy ... it can be completed as Tiny Tux without dying at all. Since the Silent Walls was removed I used this level as an homage to it, since people liked it so much. Thank you for feedback, I appreciate it! :) :)
No.
WeLuvGoatz
SuperTux Moderator

Postby brmbrmcar » 26 Jul 2018, 20:03

Although none of the levels are that difficult compared to addons and what I normally see here, they seem far too hard for the forest world. I do definitely have to disagree that skullyhops jumping from the floor is good, dispensers should always be visible to the player. It's hard to describe where it needs being easier, and I know it's annoying as an editor, maybe I should try editing it out to see if it is still alright, just to see. Your version would probably still be used. Sometimes the parts don't need difficulty, and when it is added it becomes very hard. Also i don't know if this is a glitch, but the violent shaking at the end of The Forest is Rotting just has to go. I almost felt sick just looking at it, and I don't have any major health problems that could cause that. That's a safety issue.
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby the shapeshifter » 26 Jul 2018, 21:12

i don't mind the traps in the rabbit hole. you just backtrack. for me they are quite fun. unexpected is good. since they are not random it shouldn't need too many runs to learn them all.
the shapeshifter

Postby WeLuvGoatz » 27 Jul 2018, 00:50

The Forest World, and the game in general, is in need of some difficulty. Every single level I have played from World 1 and World 2 was somewhat easy, Imo. And the "Violent shaking"? Play "Cave-in" from Levels of Wolfs. I'm not sure if it's a health issue, but it's meant to be like that.
No.
WeLuvGoatz
SuperTux Moderator

Postby brmbrmcar » 27 Jul 2018, 08:55

Well, when I (who has far more experience than a new player would of the worldmaps) haven't got an idea how to pass some of the areas without damage without luck and several attempts it is probably far too hard. It isn't meant to be a challenging game. I don't see any reason to put the shaking in, and there is a certainty that if it was put in the main game it would receive some complaints.
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby WeLuvGoatz » 27 Jul 2018, 15:20

The shaking is the instability of the cave as it almost collapses. Maybe it would help if you specified which areas were too hard???? Maybe it's because I made these levels, but they are easy to me. If the shaking and the difficulty are really a problem to more than one person I will make the levels slightly easier. I just don't see what could make it easier without ruining the level.
No.
WeLuvGoatz
SuperTux Moderator

Postby WeLuvGoatz » 27 Jul 2018, 15:34

I could go either way with the shaking at this point. Please try out this version and tell me if its better with or without shaking.
Attachments
Forest_Rotting.zip
(7.78 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
No.
WeLuvGoatz
SuperTux Moderator

Postby WeLuvGoatz » 28 Jul 2018, 18:47

I made this level a bit easier, but I'm working on the others.
Attachments
Forest_Rotting_Exp.zip
(7.76 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
No.
WeLuvGoatz
SuperTux Moderator

Postby Yona-TYT » 29 Jul 2018, 17:26

I love this level, but maybe it would be good to use the flower of ice, at least at the beginning, but it looks very good.
Yona-TYT

Postby WeLuvGoatz » 29 Jul 2018, 18:56

^^ Hey Yona-TYT, new versions of the levels are available now. BTW, there IS an ice flower at the beginning. I would also like to know what the SuperTux devs think, especially @Serano and @RustyBox ! Thanks!
No.
WeLuvGoatz
SuperTux Moderator

Postby manuel » 29 Jul 2018, 20:11

I'm not a dev, but well...
This level is great, I only found one tiny thing: Change the falling stone cluster that falls on the fire. It is the only block that falls through the floor. I know, that's necessary to remove the flame, but it seems a bit strange compared to the other clusters.
manuel

Postby Serano » 30 Jul 2018, 07:45

Sorry, had a lot to do lately. I'll check your levels soon. :)
SuperTux Team Member
Serano

Postby WeLuvGoatz » 07 Aug 2018, 17:15

I have made two new levels for the Forest Cave! Pls leave feedback, I would appreciate it! :) :) :)
Attachments
Cave_Levels.zip
(11.22 KiB) Downloaded 326 times
No.
WeLuvGoatz
SuperTux Moderator

Postby manuel » 07 Aug 2018, 18:08

You're creating high-quality levels! :cool: !

Dark and Damp:
The wooden crusher finally comes in use. The secret area was really tricky, wonder who will find this one quickly :p The only thing is, that Mr.Tree will walk up slopes but won't walk downwards again. So it got a bit too full at the first Mr.Tree... But despite of that, great level with a good design idea! I really liked the various jumps with the thorns.

No Light in Sight:
Great introduction of the bonus blocks containing badguys and other objects! Don't know if this is just me, but I had some trouble killing the two moles under the bonus blocks after the checkpoint (especially the left one). Nonetheless, I liked it!
manuel

Postby Tobbi » 09 Aug 2018, 19:55

I have to agree, those levels are great! I will talk to the rest of the team about including them in an upcoming bonus island or something, unless you'd like to create your own add-on.
SuperTux developer.
Tobbi
SuperTux Moderator

Postby WeLuvGoatz » 09 Aug 2018, 20:36

Thanks. RustyBox explained to me how there are 3 "slots" for the ghost forest levels left (2 normal and 1 Bonus) so these are meant to be in the ghost forest. But feel free to use them any way you want! (As long as you credit me at some point).
No.
WeLuvGoatz
SuperTux Moderator

Postby Tobbi » 09 Aug 2018, 20:40

Oh, right, if these get to be part of the story, even better!
SuperTux developer.
Tobbi
SuperTux Moderator

Postby Serano » 11 Aug 2018, 10:31

I really like your levels. Most things have already been said, just one thing bugs me a little. Some levels are way too dark for me, especially "Dark And Damp", where you have to use your luck to navigate. Apart from that, great job!
SuperTux Team Member
Serano

Postby WeLuvGoatz » 11 Aug 2018, 15:28

No Light In Sight should give you a lantern at one point. Also at least Dark and Damp is not as dark as Countercurrent or Through the Dark! :) :) :)
No.
WeLuvGoatz
SuperTux Moderator

Postby WeLuvGoatz » 18 Aug 2018, 23:47

All right, here's a level that replaces Going Underground, as RustyBox suggested to me. I used bits from "No Light In Sight". Enjoy, and I hope this can become the new "Going Underground"!

EDIT: Added some transistions.
Attachments
Going_Underground.zip
(7.8 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
No.
WeLuvGoatz
SuperTux Moderator

Postby brmbrmcar » 22 Aug 2018, 21:22

I am personally strongly against replacing the level with the same name a second time. Before I didn't like it but now I feel people would start to lose trust in the game. The level can be replaced, but the name just has to change in my opinion.
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby WeLuvGoatz » 23 Aug 2018, 00:20

Forest world is STILL under development, right? It has never been finalized into anything, as far as I know.
No.
WeLuvGoatz
SuperTux Moderator

Postby brmbrmcar » 23 Aug 2018, 00:57

People are still playing it during development though. When I play a level and it's in the same place and has the same name in the same worldmap I expect it to be similar.
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar