Caliditas (Card Game)

Caliditas (Card Game)

Postby Unnamed » 08 Jul 2018, 15:11

So I made a card game recently called Caliditas (that I should promote as revolutionary new take on the card game genre ;) ).
In this card game the key attribute is the temperature of the cards. Every creature has a temperature and can only attack and destroy weaker creatures of the opposite element. Therefore the temperature attribute serves as combined attack and defence value. There is a more complete explanation in-game.
The game was made with Godot. The repository is here: https://github.com/V-ktor/caliditas (MIT license :mit: )
ss13.jpg
cards
ss18.jpg
gameplay

I added a very simple networked multiplayer mode, but you have to enter the IP address of the other player. I guess it would be better to have a match making option and a lobby and so on. However, I have no experience with running a server and how to implement it. There's also the problem that it would require a proper data privacy notice and so on...
If someone is interested, I also require help with artwork and ideas for new cards.
Unnamed

Re: Caliditas (Card Game)

Postby Julius » 08 Jul 2018, 18:11

That looks pretty cool! Does it also work on Android?

For those wondering, precompiled released can be found here:
https://github.com/V-ktor/caliditas/releases
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Unnamed » 08 Jul 2018, 19:47

Julius {l Wrote}:That looks pretty cool! Does it also work on Android?

I haven't thought about Android. I don't see a problem there.
I just tried to get it running. Trying to deploy the game from editor failed (Godot simply prints 'failed' in terminal while installing to the device), exporting the game to android failed as well. I guess I set up the export settings wrong.
Unnamed

Postby GunChleoc » 13 Aug 2018, 08:25

I gave it a quick spin - looking good :)

2 comments:

1. It would be nice to see what a card does before playing it - enlarge it on first click, put it back on second click, play on double click?
  2. The game needs a higher-end graphics card, because it used OpenGL3.3. Do you need all the functions of this OpenGL version, or will Godot allow you to pick a lower version?
GunChleoc

Postby Unnamed » 13 Aug 2018, 14:45

GunChleoc {l Wrote}:It would be nice to see what a card does before playing it - enlarge it on first click, put it back on second click, play on double click?

It used to be this way, but it's not intuitive imo. It's also not good to enlarge a card when hovering over it. You can enlarge the card by pressing the right mouse button. I wrote it in the help section and the tutorial, but it seems no one read it.

GunChleoc {l Wrote}:The game needs a higher-end graphics card, because it used OpenGL3.3. Do you need all the functions of this OpenGL version, or will Godot allow you to pick a lower version?

No, but Godot 3 only works with OpenGL3.3 right now. Godot 3.1 will allow so I have to wait for it.
Unnamed

Postby GunChleoc » 19 Aug 2018, 16:20

Yep, I obviously overlooked that in the tutorial, so maybe it needs to be made more prominent there, maybe with a little task attached?
GunChleoc

Postby Unnamed » 27 Aug 2018, 22:33

I just released a new version: https://github.com/V-ktor/caliditas/releases/tag/v0.3-alpha
There's also an apk for Android and drag-and-drop controls. I think the gui is too small and not really suitable for touch screen controls. Maybe it's better to create a different gui rather than just scaling buttons to larger size.
The largest change is that you can select which creatures to attack (before you end your turn!) as I don't really like the randomness there was before. (The AI still uses the old targeting method.)

GunChleoc {l Wrote}:Yep, I obviously overlooked that in the tutorial, so maybe it needs to be made more prominent there, maybe with a little task attached?

There is a task now.
Unnamed