Tragedy of The Creative Commons

Tragedy of The Creative Commons

Postby Lyberta » 21 May 2018, 06:59

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 06:16, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Re: Tragedy of The Creative Commons

Postby themightyglider » 22 May 2018, 15:10

Nice article so far!
You should add some explantations why the fundamental freedoms are so important, to make it a bit more easy to understand for people who are dealing with this subject the first time.
Furthermore I would look for another title. 'Tragedy of Creative Commons' is a bit over the top IMO. It sounds to much like drama.
But otherwise the article is very nice and clear.
themightyglider

Postby c_xong » 22 May 2018, 23:52

c_xong

Postby Lyberta » 24 May 2018, 10:02

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 06:16, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby Wuzzy » 11 Jun 2018, 23:37

Hey, thanks. Finally something to link to when stuck in yet another argument about CC. :)

The webpage might come over as a bit judgemental. If the goal is to convince people to stop using ND and NC, one should not be judgemental.

While I do fully agree, I do find the reasoning against ND and NC to be on pretty shaky grounds.

It is only justified on the four freedoms, which are completely arbitrary, so in the current form this can only convince people already deep in the free software movement who are just confused about CC licenses. There should be elaboration on WHY these four freedoms are essential, and why violating them is wrong.

There should also be elaboration on the practical consequences on the users. Give real world examples in which the licenses prohibit perfectly reasonable uses. Not every human has the capability of very abstract thinking. I think that could help a lot.

For ND, my criticism is rather blunt: No Derivates? What kind of commons is that? Let alone a creative commons. My point here that the very idea of ND is completely at odds with the idea of creativity.

You can't criticize NC without linking to https://freedomdefined.org/Licenses/NC as well. ;)

Finally, you should understand that CC had reasons for the NC and ND. They argue that “some freedoms are better than none”. They hoped that the restrictive license are an “entry” point for people to slowly move to the more liberal licenses. Well, that hope never really turned out to be true. But they still kinda seem to insist on their initial reasoning to this date. I'm not in favor of this policy, I just posting this here for context.

My personal criticism of NC is also that the definition of “NonCommercial” is too vague that a lot of things could be deemed as “commercial”, so if you throw this license at a court, funny things will happen. But check the legal text (the REAL legal text) yourselves. :P

This is also covered at https://creativecommons.org/share-your- ... /freeworks

True, but they are obviously slanted towards their own licenses. ;) The point of Lyberta's website is to bring out an opinion.
Wuzzy

Postby Lyberta » 12 Jun 2018, 08:11

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 06:17, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby Wuzzy » 13 Jun 2018, 18:55

Oops.
Wuzzy