What happened to the forest world?

What happened to the forest world?

Postby Nitro Ninja » 25 Mar 2018, 05:25

Hi, is there any reason why the Forest World is now separate from the main game? I thought it was nice when the two worlds were attached.
Nitro Ninja

Re: What happened to the forest world?

Postby mteufel » 25 Mar 2018, 09:31

I personally don't know the reason it was done, but it was done a long time ago and there's two major reasons I think could have played a role:

- It's much easier to handle from an internal/code-related perspective
- The forest world is still unfinished ­— mostly from a graphics and level perspective; only now we're working on some improvements (suggestions and feedback welcome!)

If said improvements are done, the worlds will probably be reconnected again.
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby Yona-TYT » 23 Jul 2018, 02:24

The legend says that one day the two worlds will connect by a series of subterranean levels or at least that's what I imagine. :p

The current gift package contains the level “Crystal Mine” by RustyBox. It’s the first official level to use the crystal cave tiles and supposed to connect Icy Island with Forest Island in a future release of SuperTux.

I just hope to be alive to see those levels with crystal terrain, that would be very nice. :D :D :D :D

My cordial greetings, and I hope that this project continues wind astern. :heart:

Yona-TYT

Postby w_laenger » 25 Sep 2018, 15:53

I recently played a bit in the forest world, it was far too easy and therefore no fun in my opinion.
Before I played on Incubator Island, there the levels were challenging, I found them interesting.
w_laenger

Postby BlasterMaster » 05 Dec 2018, 05:57

I'd imagine it'd look something like this.
Attachments
Ice to forest rough.jpg
You love goats, not me.
BlasterMaster

Postby Alzter » 05 Dec 2018, 07:39

BlasterMaster {l Wrote}:I'd imagine it'd look something like this.

Damn that looks good. There was actually an old concept I dug up for the transition to the forest here:
Supertux-forest-2004-06-15.jpg

What's depressing is that this unpolished rough concept turned into a real background.
Alzter

Postby BlasterMaster » 05 Dec 2018, 18:35

They need more developers who are ready to pick up where the old ones left off, (Not saying they'd replace the old developers though) and bring a new energy that has been missing for awhile. We need people with motivation. Maybe that will also inspire the original devs, to come back.
You love goats, not me.
BlasterMaster

Postby BlasterMaster » 05 Dec 2018, 18:39

Also, the level called "Up and down", is terrible, and should be removed and replaced. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are willing to make a level for that spot. For the level called "Counter Current," they should use the tree decorations I made, as well as any level that heavily uses trees, especially stumps.
You love goats, not me.
BlasterMaster

Postby BlasterMaster » 05 Dec 2018, 18:50

My favorite level is of course, "Counter Current" for its difficulty, and how it uses multiple maps. I like how you don"t know exactly where you"re going, it feels like an adventure. My second favourite is one that I think is called "Down the Rabbit Hole", I like that one for similar reasons. There should be more levels like that.
You love goats, not me.
BlasterMaster

Postby Alzter » 06 Dec 2018, 10:29

BlasterMaster {l Wrote}:My favorite level is of course, "Counter Current" for its difficulty, and how it uses multiple maps. I like how you don"t know exactly where you"re going, it feels like an adventure. My second favourite is one that I think is called "Down the Rabbit Hole", I like that one for similar reasons. There should be more levels like that.

I was thinking counter current should be slightly nerfed, revamped and perhaps redecorated in some parts with a new aesthetic.
Alzter

Postby Alzter » 06 Dec 2018, 10:53

BlasterMaster {l Wrote}:They need more developers who are ready to pick up where the old ones left off, (Not saying they'd replace the old developers though) and bring a new energy that has been missing for awhile. We need people with motivation. Maybe that will also inspire the original devs, to come back.

Problem is the game is too niche. Since it's lost it's major point of attraction of being one of the only free Linux platformers, it's now just blending in with every other free platformer, and as such won't attract potential contributors meaning that not many will contribute. I feel like the old devs shouldn't have made the forest world if they weren't able to create quality assets. It feels like an unpolished mess made out of repeated placeholder assets that looks pretty terrible, and what sucks now is that we have the burden of basically having to redo every single part of the forest world to make it not look like it was created in two seconds in ms paint. But with the lack of full time devs and a stable team, I doubt that will happen. So the Forest World will stay as the bland sub-optimal boring repetitive filler of a world and nothing will really change of that. (Unless more people contribute, RustyBox's new worldmap is a great start)
Alzter

Postby BlasterMaster » 06 Dec 2018, 17:55

Alzter {l Wrote}:I was thinking counter current should be slightly nerfed,
I can see why nerfing it would be considered, seeing as how it's one of the hardest levels on the map, but I was thinking about making more levels difficult. The forest levels should be harder that the antarctic levels. Some of the forest level designs are well done, others are... uh... not. I still agree that it could be revamped though.
You love goats, not me.
BlasterMaster

Postby w_laenger » 31 Dec 2018, 17:31

BlasterMaster {l Wrote}:[…] I was thinking about making more levels difficult. The forest levels should be harder that the antarctic levels. […]

Since it is a forest, you can add lots of branching (many possible paths on the worldmap). The player then has many choices to get to the castle (or wherever) and so you can put very difficult levels without blocking the player.
w_laenger

Postby BlasterMaster » 31 Dec 2018, 20:29

I'd also like to add that most of my gripes about the forest have been delt with in 0.6.0.
You love goats, not me.
BlasterMaster

Postby Adharsh » 01 Jan 2019, 14:14

The present forest worldmap and the levels are really nice.
I wonder when the forest island will be continued.
Adharsh