Retro Chiptune Music

Retro Chiptune Music

Postby ChristovixGames » 06 Feb 2018, 01:28

Greetings everyone!

Do you need music for your project?

Well I can't help ya! Sorry about that.
Thanks for your time and best of luck with all your projects!
I hope none of them take advantage of your peers, as the conversation below suggests they might.
Last edited by ChristovixGames on 09 Feb 2018, 05:33, edited 1 time in total.
ChristovixGames

Re: Retro Chiptune Music

Postby Lyberta » 06 Feb 2018, 14:28

ChristovixGames {l Wrote}:However, the game must credit me, and I will retain the rights to the songs, and the game must be distributed for free

That sounds like proprietary NC restriction.
Lyberta

Postby ChristovixGames » 06 Feb 2018, 19:42

Lyberta {l Wrote}:
ChristovixGames {l Wrote}:However, the game must credit me, and I will retain the rights to the songs, and the game must be distributed for free

That sounds like proprietary NC restriction.

I will not work for free on a jam, to have the developers make money off my work, and leave me broke. If a jam game is planning to charge for the game, then we can discuss. I have no problem with developers being paid for their work, but I will be paid as well. Sounds like common sense to me. I am a developer too, and by principle I will make sure that everyone who works on my games get paid in some form if we decide to charge for it.
The point is, there are options that can be used if you're planning on charging for your game, I have free music that you can just take. I'm not working on that anymore, it's there for the taking. But if I'm working with you as a team, I do expect to be paid if you're bringing in revenue with my work.

The end of that sentence, which you cut off: "However, the game must credit me, and I will retain the rights to the songs, and the game must be distributed for free, or we can discuss things."
You do not have to release the game for free, but we'll have to discuss things.
ChristovixGames

Postby Lyberta » 07 Feb 2018, 16:02

This forum focuses on free software. Freedoms 2 and 3 of free software require that users of the software have the freedom to redistribute verbatim copies of the software and freedom to redistribute modified copies of the software. This includes receiving money for that distribution i.e. commercial distribution. Prohibition of such distribution makes software proprietary and not only software but any copyrighted work.
Lyberta

Postby ChristovixGames » 09 Feb 2018, 05:17

So basically, fuck artists. Cool.
As a developer myself, you make me sick.
I would never work with anyone who thought it ever appropriate to work with people directly, on a jam, and then go on to charge money for that work, without paying the rest of the team.
You're a disgrace to the indie development community, and you make developers look like scumbags.
ChristovixGames

Postby Magellan » 09 Feb 2018, 08:40

Its not really about the price (or lack thereof) that would be charged for a game, it is about the rights of the user who receives a copy of the software. Whatever the earnings model of a game may be, the point is that a free software license does not restrict the user's 4 software freedoms. Here is a link that explains it better than I ever could: https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html

If you prevent the commercial redistribution of your game, whether by yourself, some member of the dev team, or by the end users who get copies of your game, you make the game non-free (as in freedom) by design. I believe when you say "we can discuss things" you are not talking about the music you have already made available, but about music you might make in the future as part of a game jam, etc. correct? Since this forum focuses on free-as-in-freedom games, you're probably not going to find anyone here who e.g. would want to collaborate on a game that wasn't going to be released as free software.

Importantly, free software doesn't *have* to be given away for no money, it just has to not restrict the freedoms of the user. For instance, the music that you released on OGA appears to be dual-licensed between CC-BY-SA and CC-BY (if I am not mistaken). Someone could sell those music files, alone or as part of a bundle, and as long as they followed the attribution and/or share-alike clauses of the license(s), they would be well within their rights. They would almost certainly make little or no money, since the files are available for free from your OGA account, but free software isn't about economics :)

I think this all must be a miscommunication. I like your music, and encourage you to make more :)
YouTube page (mostly Gentoo videos): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8F_ci ... voRGQR-fMQ |/| Homepage: https://hmagellan.com
Magellan

Postby ChristovixGames » 11 Feb 2018, 21:34

I am not a free software license. I am a person. The line about discussing things was literally me offering to work with people directly on game jams. I want to work with people for free. That's what I WANT. But I will not work on a game that is not being distributed for free, unless I'm being paid. It's a caveat I have, because I don't like being taken advantage of. It's something that SHOULD be said, otherwise, I could have just said, "yeah I'll work with you" and when they decide they're going to charge for the game, I would demand pay, or prevent them from using my work after the fact. So in the interest of that not happening, I figured I should be clear about what I'm interested I'm doing for free.
ChristovixGames

Postby Lyberta » 12 Feb 2018, 21:30

ChristovixGames {l Wrote}:otherwise, I could have just said, "yeah I'll work with you" and when they decide they're going to charge for the game, I would demand pay, or prevent them from using my work after the fact.

That's not how it works. If the game is released under a free license, someone else can download the game and sell copies. You can't control the distribution. My own music is CC-BY-SA 4.0+. You can download it for free from my site and start selling it on your site because CC-BY-SA and all other freedom respecting licenses explicitly allow that. And I will not feel ripped off or taken advantage of. I don't make music to make money and most of us who make free games understand that we will not earn a lot of money, if any. But we care about the freedom of our users and want other people to give us the same freedom.

Free software movement and free culture movement are about ethics. Money and capitalism divide us, freedom and sharing unite us.
Lyberta

Postby ancolltoni » 01 Jun 2018, 04:16

If you need music for your project, you can get it at my home page
ancolltoni