How to beat Antediluvian Abyss in time?

How to beat Antediluvian Abyss in time?

Postby Savalguga » 03 Jan 2018, 13:12

I can complete all tracks on the Expert setting, except Antediluvian Abyss, where I always run out of time. Is there some kind of secret trick that I don't know? (I remember when Around the Lighthouse had a similar issue in the previous versions, but you fixed it.)
Savalguga

Re: How to beat Antediluvian Abyss in time?

Postby QwertyChouskie » 03 Jan 2018, 22:34

Drifting on straightaways is probably the biggest trick. Also make sure to get and use the big nitro between the two bananas in the big straight section.
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby Savalguga » 03 Jan 2018, 23:09

Thank you for the tip. I completed the track. But I still find it strange that this track is the only one where you are required to abuse drifting like that.

(I mentioned the possibility of a secret trick because there is a well hidden secret path in Gran Paradiso Island, which is the easiest way to win the race.)
Savalguga

Postby Magellan » 04 Jan 2018, 19:28

Antediluvian Abyss was a big challenge for me as well. About the drifting, I've found it is easier if you are using a controller pad as opposed to the keyboard. Drifting in general seems much easier with an analog stick, especially on straightaways.
YouTube page (mostly Gentoo videos): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8F_ci ... voRGQR-fMQ |/| Homepage: https://hmagellan.com
Magellan

Postby Savalguga » 04 Jan 2018, 20:36

After I understood how drifting works, it wasn't that hard for me. Basically, you have to start holding the drift button while holding left or right. Then, you can release the directional button and press the opposite one while still holding the drift button, and you'll start moving left or right slower. This is very useful on straightaways.
Savalguga

Postby Arthur » 04 Jan 2018, 21:39

Magellan {l Wrote}:Antediluvian Abyss was a big challenge for me as well. About the drifting, I've found it is easier if you are using a controller pad as opposed to the keyboard. Drifting in general seems much easier with an analog stick, especially on straightaways.

Correct, this is often caused by what's explained in the "Why don't some keyboard keys work when pressed simultaneously?" section of https://supertuxkart.net/FAQ
I invested in a gaming keyboard (which I think is a good investment in general), and that gave me the ability to skid properly both ways - before, if I pressed forward + right + skidding (which for me is space) I lost forward momentum. I could perhaps work around it by changing keys. But a proper keyboard is worth a bit of extra money imo, even if you're not big on games.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Wuzzy » 18 Jan 2018, 06:26

It's winnable, but you need to be careful and have practice. If you get blown up, you lose. Not exploding is the key to winning this.

You might also need to get lucky with the gift boxes. Collect the big nitro at all costs. This might need practice, but it will help you a lot. If you have bubble gum, you can use it to protect you from the first banana. Only grab the small nitros if you can. I think they are too far in the outside and it costs valuable time to try to collect them. Avoid other karts as they are out to destroy you (it's Expert mode, after all!). Head for 1st place as soon as possible. The idea is to get out of the way of the other karts so they can't attack you directly with cakes or bowling balls. Also, it's a lot easier if you manage to become 1st early in the race than later on. The first seconds are often crucial in this game. This is very important. Collect gift boxes. Pray you get a turbo boost. Use these only in the long straight parts, then you have a big advantage. If you get a bubble gum, keep it and use it whenever you hear a basketball approaching. Look back from time to time, just in case. Also learn how to drift. Stay away from the blue/white strips at all costs, they slow you down dramatically and ruin your race.

And then the general rules for time trial races apply, of course. E.g. Drive close to the inner part of curves, not in the outer part. You want to minimize the amount of road you need to drive in order to complete a lap. Also, choosing a different kart might do wonders. And: Practice, practice, practice! :)

General tip: Only tap the nitro key, don't hold it pressed. You will have maximum speed for a few seconds anyway. Then wait until your speed lowers again. Then you can use nitro again. You will save a lot of nitro this way and still be faster.
BONUS TIP! A well-aimed plunger can be used to destroy a basketball, but it's tricky to do so.

PS: My record in this challenge is 02:34:45 with Emule. I still think this challenge is quite hard.
Wuzzy