Soccer / Ice Hockey Mode (Map Should Be Rotated for Blue)

Soccer / Ice Hockey Mode (Map Should Be Rotated for Blue)

Postby sphyrth » 12 Dec 2017, 01:36

Choosing Red Team is fine. But when I choose Blue Team, then the map should be rotated to Blue's view. Everything looked upside-down to me.
vlcsnap-2017-12-15-08h32m25s988.png
Last edited by sphyrth on 15 Dec 2017, 01:44, edited 1 time in total.
sphyrth

Re: Soccer / Ice Hockey Mode (Map Should Be Rotated for Blue

Postby Auria » 14 Dec 2017, 01:22

Hi, your screenshot is not loading and I'm not sure which part of the video you are referring to, could you please clarify?
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby sphyrth » 15 Dec 2017, 01:46

Thanks for the info! I edited it to a screenshot. What I'm trying to say is that playing as the Blue Team in Soccer Mode feels like playing Chess as Black but I have the White pieces in front of me. At least that's what the Map is making me feel.
sphyrth

Postby Auria » 15 Dec 2017, 02:23

So you would like to start facing your own goal, rather than start facing the ball? I'm not sure I understand why you'd want that
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby QwertyChouskie » 15 Dec 2017, 02:25

I think the idea is to rotate the minimap 180 degrees when playing as blue.
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby Auria » 15 Dec 2017, 02:37

Ahh, the minimap? Yes that would make more sense. At the moment, though, soccer is mostly intended to be played in split-screen, so we can't rotate the minimap as all players will have different orientations. When we have networked multiplayer, this could be an interesting feature, albeit it's not very high on our list of priorities at the moment
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby sphyrth » 15 Dec 2017, 03:06

Auria {l Wrote}:When we have networked multiplayer, this could be an interesting feature, albeit it's not very high on our list of priorities at the moment

Understood. Just putting it out there just in case.

Speaking of networking, I've been waiting for it since 0.7.x. It's was actually good that you guys mentioned in the Blog on why it still can't be implemented. Letting us know why it's still in the works gives me excitement and hope.

And thanks QwertyChouskie for the better explanation of what I was trying to say.
sphyrth

Postby farrer » 15 Dec 2017, 12:14

Auria {l Wrote}:Ahh, the minimap? Yes that would make more sense. At the moment, though, soccer is mostly intended to be played in split-screen, so we can't rotate the minimap as all players will have different orientations. When we have networked multiplayer, this could be an interesting feature, albeit it's not very high on our list of priorities at the moment

Why not by default rotate it 90 degrees, being horizontally oriented (and thus, somewhat team-agnostic)?
farrer

Postby deve » 15 Dec 2017, 13:03

In theory you can create a soccer field with 5 balls and 10 goals in random positions, so that the map orientation will be wrong anyway.
deve

Postby sphyrth » 16 Dec 2017, 01:32

Well then, how about an Optional Feature: The Minimap rotates with your orientation in real-time

I personally don't like it, so I suggest it to be optional. It might even be useful for the Racing Modes.
sphyrth

Postby farrer » 16 Dec 2017, 10:50

deve {l Wrote}:In theory you can create a soccer field with 5 balls and 10 goals in random positions, so that the map orientation will be wrong anyway.

Fair enough.

sphyrth {l Wrote}:Well then, how about an Optional Feature: The Minimap rotates with your orientation in real-time

I personally don't like it, so I suggest it to be optional. It might even be useful for the Racing Modes.

From what I've seen from the code, that would be not trivial to implement (the easiest is to define and pass a "player-is-facing-that-direction" angle to drawImage), especially when what is said about the soccer-mode being most suited for split-screen play (where more than one player is actively seeing the same minimap, which would be the direction to choose?, etc).
farrer

Postby QwertyChouskie » 17 Dec 2017, 03:55

Or maybe add a small "headlight" to the icon like MK Wii: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ24U4jl1Hg
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie