Version with lower graphic requirements

Version with lower graphic requirements

Postby miroj » 11 Dec 2017, 11:26

My main question: is there older version of SuperTuxKart with lower requirements on graphic cards? My kid loves to play it and I want it to work again!

Background behind the question:
When I recently updated from Ubuntu 16.04 (STK 0.9.1) to 17.10 (STK 0.9.2) I found that I see all races in red color and without textures, and also car models in the menu are red and without textures.
I believe it is because of some driver issue, because although I am slightly below required specs (AMD Radeon 6870 HD series and I have Radeon HD 5870) it was running fine before update. I have tried versions 0.9.1 and 0.9.3 on new system and they have the same problem while 0.9.1 worked on 16.04 and that's why I want to blame drivers.

Additional question - do you know how/where to report such bug? I am using "[AMD/ATI] Cypress XT [Radeon HD 5870]" and driver should be "radeon" or possibly newer "amdgpu".

(Thank you everybody involved in making this great open game! (I have sent the money already!))
Attachments
stdout.log
log
(12.91 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
tuxcart_0_9_2-red-car.jpg
render issue
miroj

Re: Version with lower graphic requirements

Postby deve » 11 Dec 2017, 14:01

In STK 0.9.3 you can force to use old renderer and it should work fine.

To do it, you can open ~/.config/supertuxkart/0.8.2/config.xml and change "force_legacy_device" parameter to true. Or in "graphical_restrictions.xml" you can add
<card os="linux" disable="ForceLegacyDevice"/>
which should do the same.

Or you can try to disable some features in graphical restrictions and see what is the reason... For example you can disable "TextureCompressionS3TC", "DrawIndirect", "FramebufferSRGB", "UniformBufferObject"...

And you can try to run STK with "export MESA_DEBUG=1" because your stdout.log looks fine.

You can report it on mesa bugzilla:
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/describeco ... oduct=Mesa
but I know Radeon generations very little...
deve

Postby miroj » 11 Dec 2017, 17:23

Hello, thank you for all the hints.
Setting force_legacy_device=true helps! Though I am getting a lot of flickering of oponent cars.

So then I found how to write down the restrictions, inspired by https://github.com/supertuxkart/stk-cod ... ctions.xml
card os="linux" enable="ForceLegacyDevice" : does not do anything
card os="linux" disable="ForceLegacyDevice" : causes crash with a lot of messages like this one:
Mesa: User error: GL_INVALID_OPERATION in unsupported function called (unsupported extension or deprecated function?)
FramebufferSRGB: crashes
DrawIndirect: nothing
UniformBufferObject: nearly everything disappears

card os="linux" disable="TextureCompressionS3TC" : is the best solution! I get nice new effects (blue glow on gifts, wavy look of underwater tunnel with beautifull sun/light glows)

Thank you!

I tried running it with "export MESA_DEBUG=1" first or as "MESA_DEBUG=1 supertuxkart -R" but I did not get any extra logs...
miroj

Postby QwertyChouskie » 11 Dec 2017, 21:05

Try:

sudo apt install libtxc-dxtn-s2tc
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby miroj » 11 Dec 2017, 22:50

QwertyChouskie {l Wrote}:Try:

sudo apt install libtxc-dxtn-s2tc

Wow, it does the magic too! :-)
miroj

Postby deve » 12 Dec 2017, 10:51

So it looks like a driver bug. They shouldn't expose GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc when it's not available. Intel with mesa was doing it correctly when I was testing it last time. Or maybe you have it enabled in driconf (IIRC some wine games need it).
deve

Postby miroj » 12 Dec 2017, 11:27

Or maybe you have it enabled in driconf (IIRC some wine games need it).

You are correct, it was enabled. When turned off in "driconf" (it was in Image Quality tab) it fixed the problem.

So maybe you can write to required hardware that you support also Radeon HD 5870 series, not only 6870? :-)
miroj