[UPDATED] New Desert Themed Worldmap

[UPDATED] New Desert Themed Worldmap

Postby manuel » 21 Sep 2017, 16:13

I made a desert themed worldmap with new textures and new badguys (sort of :p ). Notice that I just can make textures and scripts - I am not a coder.
Neither the worldmap nor I are related to Africa in any way. (Don't even know why I am writing this. :D )

Some words about downloading the file:
1. Download the .zip-file.
2. Copy it in the SuperTux add-on directory and DON'T UNZIP it.
3. Activate it in-game in the add-ons menu.
This worldmap is SuperTux 0.5 only, the bonus blocks won't work in older versions.

EDIT:
I updated the worldmap. There's now a new level you get as a reward for collecting all secret bonus blocks.
Just install the file as stated above. You can overwrite the old one, no progress should get lost.

That's enough text for now, here are some screenshots and the download link.
Attachments
manuel_desert-world-v1_st-0-5.zip
(1.96 MiB) Downloaded 760 times
screenshot2.jpg
screenshot3.jpg
screenshot4.jpg
screenshot1.jpg
Last edited by manuel on 05 Oct 2017, 20:37, edited 3 times in total.
manuel

Re: New Desert Themed Worldmap

Postby VNS » 22 Sep 2017, 00:09

This is honestly, truly amazing. Never seen a worldmap completely base its levels towards a custom tileset.
The creativity in this is indescribable.
The worldmap tileset was incorrectly assigned though. Because of this the world does not load. I'll send the worldmap again but with that fixed.
Attachments
manuel_desert-world-v1_st-0-5.zip
Worldmap fix
(1.79 MiB) Downloaded 677 times
Hello there!
VNS

Postby Serano » 22 Sep 2017, 06:58

Great work, I really like it as an Add-On. The art style isn't quite fitting for the game, though.
SuperTux Team Member
Serano

Postby manuel » 22 Sep 2017, 10:06

VNS {l Wrote}:This is honestly, truly amazing. Never seen a worldmap completely base its levels towards a custom tileset.
The creativity in this is indescribable.
The worldmap tileset was incorrectly assigned though. Because of this the world does not load. I'll send the worldmap again but with that fixed.

Thank you!
I don't really figured out what has changed exactly (despite that the file is smaller now), but it is really, really nice that you not only found a problem but also fixed it. Thanks to you again :)
manuel

Postby VNS » 22 Sep 2017, 18:25

The tileset that was used for the worldmap did not exist (you probably had a copy somewhere else) so I just fixed the tileset location. And you're welcome.
Hello there!
VNS

Re: [UPDATED] New Desert Themed Worldmap

Postby manuel » 05 Oct 2017, 09:19

Should there be an easier version of the worldmap? Especially for the later levels?
manuel

Postby Serano » 06 Oct 2017, 16:35

manuel {l Wrote}:Should there be an easier version of the worldmap? Especially for the later levels?

I can only speak for myself, but I had to cheat to see the end of the Worldmap... :)
SuperTux Team Member
Serano

Postby manuel » 06 Oct 2017, 16:55

That's a clear answer. I'll start making an easier version right now. :)
manuel

Postby the shapeshifter » 06 Oct 2017, 19:47

why?????????
a challenge is good from time to time. like hume's levels or narre land levels
the shapeshifter

Postby manuel » 08 Oct 2017, 07:59

the shapeshifter {l Wrote}:why?????????

I won't remove the standard version from this post. I'm adding a new easier version to this forum. To make it a bit more interesting I will change the levels slightly, like LMH's "Matties World". Unlike his worldmap there won't be the possibility to change the difficulty in-world as the file would get too big to upload here.
manuel

Postby Alzter » 23 Jan 2019, 04:01

This is quite a milestone in terms of SuperTux level creation, A worldmap utilizing completely new, custom tilesets and re-skinned badguys. As far as the art goes it's pretty clean and colourful, but also flat and simplistic. It's fairly appealing. As for the levels, I'm up to "Underground Caves" and the difficulty seems to be ramping up. I wish there were a bit more checkpoints because re-doing the same thing over and over again gets a bit tedious. Overall it's pretty good from what I've played.
Alzter

Postby Alzter » 23 Jan 2019, 08:57

the shapeshifter {l Wrote}:why?????????

Hume's levels aren't challenging, they're just difficult. There's no difficulty curve and it just starts off really hard. The first level took me ages to clear and what's more unforgiving is that the current SuperTux checkpoint system deducts coins every death, and once you run out of coins you have to restart the level all over again. Despite SuperTux removing lives the checkpoint system functions very similarly, only difference being with lives you can tell how many tries you have left at a glance while with the coin deduction system you basically have to guess or use a calculator to tell the amount of times your coin counter can be divided by 10 and stay over 25 coins. It would be much easier if they removed the coin checkpoint deduction imo, because it's unnecessarily unforgiving and limited lives are a relic of arcade games. Sorry I went on a tangent but I really wanted to state my opinion on how the coin deduction checkpoint system should be removed.
Alzter

Postby DevonST » 23 Jan 2019, 18:52

It would be much easier if they removed the coin checkpoint deduction imo, because it's unnecessarily unforgiving and limited lives are a relic of arcade games.

I disagree. In fact, I really like the coin system because you don’t have to farm a lot of 1-ups before entering a hard level. You only need 300 coins to already have 24 lives. But you cannot get totally over-powered in levels with tons of coins because 2000 coins give you only 42 lives.

I calculated these with
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
ceil(log(0.9; 25/x))
where x is the amount of coins you have (doesn’t work with x<25).
I made a worldmap, see “Puzzles or Platforms?
DevonST

Postby BlasterMaster » 23 Jan 2019, 19:21

The coins are almost completely useless. Most levels are easy enough to finish them in under two tries (usually one), so I never need to go collect coins before any particular level. I think there should be less coins scattered through the maps of the game (the official levels, not yours), and a higher percentage taken after each death. However, I will say that the amount of time between dying and respawning is a little long.

This message was approved by the NNA (National Nitpick Association)
You love goats, not me.
BlasterMaster

Postby WeLuvGoatz » 23 Jan 2019, 19:43

You can just press "esc" when you die to go respawn quicker (or at least that's what I do). But yes, I do have the same problems with coins.
No.
WeLuvGoatz
SuperTux Moderator

Postby BlasterMaster » 23 Jan 2019, 20:44

I do hit the escape key, but it's still kinda annoying.
You love goats, not me.
BlasterMaster

Postby DevonST » 23 Jan 2019, 20:46

I just realized I didn’t read Alzter’s post carefully enough. I understood he wants to replace the coin system with a live system. Oops, my mistake. Maybe no death punishment would be the best solution. The coin system adds a little bit of suspense though.
I made a worldmap, see “Puzzles or Platforms?
DevonST

Postby BlasterMaster » 23 Jan 2019, 21:28

I like Alzter's point. He's on to something.
You love goats, not me.
BlasterMaster

Postby Wuzzy » 25 Jan 2019, 02:26

I don't get it what you guys are up with all those crazy themes. Why can't Tux stick to the antarctic areas? :(
It's not that I appreciate new artwork being created.

But I think the general icy / snowy / antarctic theme still suits the game the best. If you feel the need for more themes, why not just adding more variety in the icy theme?
I have seen great custom levelpacks using the “blue mountain” tiles, and it's great. Also, the crystal cave is still greatly underappreciated in the game so far (except in, of course, Hume's Rainbow Cave, which, if you don't know it yet, is an absolute MUST play!).

I can barely tolerate the forest because it's at least coniferous (a snowy forest would be better, however). But desert? No, just no. Wouldn't poor Tux get hot and sweaty or even dry out? It really would test my wilful suspension of disbelief very hard. :(

But well, if it's only for an add-on, I couldn't care less. :P
Wuzzy

Postby Oliver_Buo » 27 Jan 2019, 16:02

I can only agree with the previous speaker.
Unfortunately, the graphics in the levels do not really convince me.

wüste.png
no nice background
Oliver_Buo

Postby Busybody43 » 03 Feb 2020, 00:25

I wonder how the maker feels, now that his addon was officially added to the github repository...
Busybody43

Postby manuel » 04 Feb 2020, 20:02

The most exciting thing was to hear that the worldmap could be downloaded from inside the game.
manuel

Postby PennyAndTux » 04 Feb 2022, 20:25

Hi,
your desert world looks very nice!

But if I try to play it, the intro level starts and then I get a worldmap with only water and Tux can't move (Screenshot).
How can I fix this.

I tried it on macOS and on a blank installation of SuperTux on a Windows system. Then I tried to download it manully, but nothing changed.
Attachments
desert_map.jpg
PennyAndTux

Postby PennyAndTux » 26 Feb 2022, 12:17

@manuel:

I tried to get an error message for this behavior and I displayed the current position of Tux.
Maybe anybody has an idea?
Attachments
error.jpg
PennyAndTux

Postby AllyTheOcelot » 02 Mar 2022, 20:46

PennyAndTux {l Wrote}:@manuel:

I tried to get an error message for this behavior and I displayed the current position of Tux.
Maybe anybody has an idea?

this is a very unimportant and common error message
Mewo
AllyTheOcelot
SuperTux Moderator