is there a need of 3d art assets to make for compelling game

Re: is there a need of 3d art assets to make for compelling

Postby Duion » 08 Sep 2017, 18:51

charlie {l Wrote}:What bit of Uebergame is AAA quality?

Level design for example, that is what I'm best at and got ~5 years of experience in, so I'm quite confident that I can compete with the best now. Some very big and popular games at the moment have some relatively bad level design that I could do much better.
My scenery modeling is also close to professional level now.
So those parts of Uebergame are pretty much as good as they can get.
Duion

Postby themightyglider » 08 Sep 2017, 22:49

Uebergame has good graphics. Maybe its not AAA but at least a solid B.(I did not play the game yet)

The question that remains is: "Is a AAA (or BBB) realy necessary to make a good game?"

I think the answer depents on your game and the audience you reach out for.
If you say should make it as good as possible, I am totally with you. But good dosn't always mean AAA. I think a good look for a game is something you can remember and if you see a screenshot years later you can say: "Oh, yes this is [game_name]."
themightyglider

Postby Duion » 09 Sep 2017, 00:00

Since all the big proprietary engines went so cheap, free or even pseudo open source, the whole thing became kind of meaningless, since everyone now is able to produce AAA looking graphics or at least something close to that, since everyone uses the latest technology.
Assets can just be bought or generated since there are a lot of tools available that just take a lot of work from you by providing pre generated templates etc.

AAA usually just refers to projects that cost and generate a lot of money, so it is more about the quantity then the quality. So indie devs will probably never reach AAA quality as a whole, but you can easily produce a demo scene that has exactly the same graphic quality than an AAA game, the AAA game just has thousands of those scenes in it and of course a well programmed game, since they have the money for it.
Duion

Postby Julius » 09 Sep 2017, 19:34

Note by moderator: Lets not get into personal arguments over who has better level design skills
Julius
Community Moderator