How to use substance painter + some pictures

How to use substance painter + some pictures

Postby samuncle » 11 Aug 2017, 22:10

Hi everyone

I made a lot of testing lately and here is a quick guide how to export your object and use it in Substance Painter.

1) Create your object in blender. Make sure it's UV mapped. Export it in .obj format with those preset:
export_substance.jpg

2) In Substance make sure to select: "PBR - Metallic Roughness HQ (algorithmic)". Select your mesh and also be sure to use the OpenGL normal map format. The document resolution should be 2048
import_substance.jpg

3) Once in substance be sure to bake everything. A lot of materials need the baked texture so I always bake everything before starting. If you reimport your mesh in substance (because you changed something in blender), don't forget to bake again.
bake.jpg

Here is a few of my tests:
Tux (model wasn't changed)
tux_new.png

tux_kart.png

A mine cart
lampPost.png
samuncle
STK Moderator

Re: How to use substance painter + some pictures

Postby XGhost » 12 Aug 2017, 15:10

Heyho

Some questions only partially related to substance painter :) :
When planning for new assets or art contributions for STK, which road is now worth taking? Is it better to jump on the PBR train as early as possible (here)? And if yes, how are we able to test our assets with the new workflow? Is it already implemented in next version or do we have to build a specific branch from the repository?
How is the work on a better scene manager and graphic pipeline changes related with this new workflow for artists (ticket)? What is the current stand there and what will change for artists?

Thanks for taking your time
XGhost

Re: How to use substance painter + some pictures

Postby Anon » 21 Sep 2017, 23:47

Lol, what about my Antarctica-compatible Blender Internal emulation? D: :P

(It should be easily adaptable to use PBR as well; in fact, immediately after making that post, I refactored it in my original project to implement PBR concepts IIRC. It should work in tandem with Blender's new texture painting modes to allow real-time previews without external software as well.)

On another note, that is a pretty good-looking kart. Are you guys still doing that TF2-esque cartoon realism style too?
Anon