Space Castle platform adventure game

Space Castle platform adventure game

Postby galoyo » 21 Jul 2017, 01:12

The Space Castle is a platformer adventure game with a mystery storyline and similar to Metroid and Cave story.
This game is currenly a work in progress. Home page: http://github.com/galoyo/SpaceCastle

Bosses try to hamper the player from learning the true nature of the doctor. Most Malas believe that the doctor is the only one that can cure them before they turn into a monster as one Mala did. Are the Malas telling the truth?

Looking for a team of haxeflixel programmers to help with this project. The Haxeflixel Library is used to make this game.
http://haxeflixel.com

This game has an ending but there are still lots of things to do.
TODO file http://www.thespacecastle.org/TODO.txt

The work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Last edited by galoyo on 07 Aug 2017, 12:10, edited 1 time in total.
galoyo

Re: Space Castle platform adventure game

Postby c_xong » 21 Jul 2017, 06:16

What's the code license? CC doesn't really make sense for code
c_xong

Postby Lyberta » 21 Jul 2017, 12:57

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 09:32, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby galoyo » 21 Jul 2017, 20:21

if you click the link at the very bottom of the page at the footer, CC = creative commons and NC = Non Commercial.
Are you saying that the current licence selected does not work for code? It says the "work".
galoyo

Postby farrer » 21 Jul 2017, 23:25

galoyo {l Wrote}:if you click the link at the very bottom of the page at the footer, CC = creative commons and NC = Non Commercial.
Are you saying that the current licence selected does not work for code? It says the "work".

Take a look at: http://creativecommons.org/faq/#can-i-a ... o-software
Its use for source code isn't recommended.

Why not select a Free/Libre license instead? And also, do you have any reasons for using the "Non-Commercial" addend?
farrer

Postby palrogg » 21 Jul 2017, 23:36

Looks nice, but I can't try it on Windows.

NC is not libre (see this page on fsf.org or this explanation).

I downloaded the sources and I don't understand the licenses. There is:
- "This program is free software. You can redistribute it but you cannot modify it" in "license for build.txt" (modified GPL license?)
- CC-BY-SA-NC in "license for source.txt"
Strange statement about the game engine: "If you download the source, you can use no more than 400 lines of code"
GitHub / LGPL platformer: Edgar the Explorer
palrogg

Postby galoyo » 21 Jul 2017, 23:58

that "400 lines of code" is from an old archive on site. it should be have had the CC license in it. I forgot to upload the new version of the source. I once had that text but decided to remove it since it cannot be monitored. that reason for the build license is to stop decompiling, now that I think about it, that build license should be deleted and placed with the same license as the source. the reason for the source CC Non Commercial part of the license is because I spent lots of hours programming this game and do not want someone to make monetary gains from it.

I have taken the footer license notice and the source offline until I can figure which license to use.
galoyo

Postby farrer » 23 Jul 2017, 12:30

galoyo {l Wrote}:the reason for the source CC Non Commercial part of the license is because I spent lots of hours programming this game and do not want someone to make monetary gains from it.

You should really read the links provided by palrogg, specially the second. Also, it's very improbable that someone or some company would bother to take your game and try to profit on it. I do prefer, for myself, use a license like GPL, who assure that any modification to my work would still be licensed in GPL and be freely (as in libre) available to others at the same GPL license. Anyway, I'll not add more arguments here, as both the article mentioned and the web is with lots of good arguments on why to not use a 'NC' license addend. Read them, and see if they convince you. If you have any particular question about some license, feel free to ask here.
farrer

Postby galoyo » 23 Jul 2017, 14:22

yes farrer, I have read the data at those links and I am no longer using CC. I am now thinking about using the Non-Profit OSL. https://opensource.org/licenses/NPOSL-3.0 From what I have read it is open source and it can be sublicensed.
feedback please.
galoyo

Postby galoyo » 25 Jul 2017, 00:30

I have decided to release the source and the builds licensed under the Non-Profit Open Software License version 3.0 https://opensource.org/licenses/NPOSL-3.0

If you like the game then please comment at http://github.com/galoyo/SpaceCastle/issues
Last edited by galoyo on 07 Aug 2017, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.
galoyo

Postby farrer » 25 Jul 2017, 12:51

The NPOSL license isn't Free/Libre, because of this term:

Licensor represents and declares that it is a not-for-profit organization that derives
no revenue whatsoever from the distribution of the Original Work or Derivative
Works thereof, or from support or services relating thereto.

which says that the code could only be reused by non-profit organizations. Open Source and Free/Libre software aren't the same thing. A brief explanation is given by Stallman here, and you should really read that to understand what we are talking about on the replies to you in this topic.

Here, at FreeGameDev, as the name may suggest, we are a community with focus on Free/Libre games, and the freedoms given on the linked explanation are very important to us. As the NPOSL isn't a Free/Libre license, this topic should be moved to Off-Topic. Sorry, but there are other places to promote non-libre games. Anyway, thanks for reading and good luck in your project.
farrer

Postby charlie » 25 Jul 2017, 13:41

Slightly incorrect farrer. Whilst many forum users are staunch FLOSS advocates, there is a tiny amount of wiggle room.

The forum tagline is:

FreeGameDev Forums

Open source game community & development

This is an open source license. I think giving positive reasons for adopting a FLOSS license will serve you better than scorning a mere open source one.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby dulsi » 25 Jul 2017, 13:57

The license you have chosen does not allow the game to be included in most linux distributions. If you want to reach the largest audience you might want to select another one.

How easy is haxeflixel? How long did it take to code up? If you want more contributors, you might want to make the code available in a version control system so people can see the develop going on. If I install haxeflixel, I'll give the game a try.
dulsi

Postby farrer » 25 Jul 2017, 17:12

charlie {l Wrote}:Slightly incorrect farrer. Whilst many forum users are staunch FLOSS advocates, there is a tiny amount of wiggle room.

The forum tagline is:

FreeGameDev Forums

Open source game community & development

This is an open source license. I think giving positive reasons for adopting a FLOSS license will serve you better than scorning a mere open source one.

My fault then, I projected a somewhat common discourse here (including mime) to be the site's own...

About the positive reasons, I do believe that I tried to do that. My intention was to at least make the author aware of the differences to make the choice. Anyway, is up to the author to choose, and as open-source is ok for Showcase (my fault for believing that isn't), no problem then, and welcome aboard galoyo!
farrer

Postby galoyo » 25 Jul 2017, 20:49

dulsi {l Wrote}:How easy is haxeflixel? How long did it take to code up? If you want more contributors, you might want to make the code available in a version control system so people can see the develop going on. If I install haxeflixel, I'll give the game a try.

haxeflixel is very easy to understand. It comes with 75 demos. You should see some of those demos, like shaking a screen or split screen mode for 2 players. The reason I decided to use it is because you can cross-compile your games natively to many places such as mac, Linux, windows, flash, html5 and blackberry etc. At my website will be some tutorials soon. Haxeflixel is not very active so I can do my own version control with a small team of programmers exchanging code. That is my idea. About Linux, the license is open source so I think that is the main requirement to get my game in a distro but I could be wrong.
galoyo

Postby c_xong » 25 Jul 2017, 23:29

You've all misunderstood what the NPOSL is.
Licensor represents and declares that it is a not-for-profit organization that derives
no revenue whatsoever from the distribution of the Original Work or Derivative
Works thereof, or from support or services relating thereto.

Emphasis mine. The licensor is the one distributing the software. The receiver is the licensee. So to use the NPOSL in the first place, you need to be a non-profit. But anyone else can use NPOSL code.
See http://marlacorinne.4parkers.com/2014/0 ... ce-or-not/

Also, there is no meaningful distinction between Open Source and Free/Libre. Both do not discriminate against fields of endeavour.
c_xong

Postby galoyo » 26 Jul 2017, 01:11

The license does not restrict the use of the work to only non-profit organizations but can other organizations use the work for monetary gain?
galoyo

Postby dulsi » 26 Jul 2017, 01:39

galoyo {l Wrote}:The license does not restrict the use of the work to only non-profit organizations but can other organizations use the work for monetary gain?

This is why I like GPL. I don't have to figure out the license. From looking at c_xong's link, the NPOSL is only for non-profit organizations because they couldn't have some clause from OSL. If anyone else distributes the program it becomes OSL. So in the end you can use the code commercially which you want to prevent.

If you do change it to license that prevent monetary gain, I think most distributions will not include the program. While not many are selling CD/DVDs anymore, I don't think they want that restriction. For example the person who runs a nearby LUG sells flash drive with Ubuntu. If you Ubuntu had a program with this restriction, he would be unable to legally do that.
dulsi

Postby galoyo » 26 Jul 2017, 03:32

Since the other licenses are confusing to understand and I want the haxeflixel community to benefit from the Space Castle source code, I will release it under the GPLv3.
galoyo

Postby charlie » 26 Jul 2017, 10:19

c_xong {l Wrote}:Also, there is no meaningful distinction between Open Source and Free/Libre.

Incorrect. NC licenses are open source. Free/Libre licenses do not contain such stipulations, and for good reason.

For example, an NC license makes it illegal to distribute as part of a bigger package that has any commercial aspect e.g. somebody selling a Debian Live DVD if it includes said software, or a magazine including the game on its cover CD/DVD (if such things still occur), or a commercial distro e.g. Ubuntu officially including an NC-licensed package.

galoyo {l Wrote}:About Linux, the license is open source so I think that is the main requirement to get my game in a distro but I could be wrong.

Your license would not be accepted by Debian IIRC, or any major Linux distribution, for the reason I state above.
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby c_xong » 26 Jul 2017, 12:18

This is veering offtopic; I don't know what your definition of open source is, mine is https://opensource.org/osd which disallows discriminating against fields of endeavor, which covers commercial use. Therefore any NC license is not open source according to OSD.
c_xong

Postby charlie » 26 Jul 2017, 12:29

You might be right c_xong (and me wrong). IANAL, for starters. I don't know why I've always thought that was the distinction. Perhaps it was at one time or another.
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby GunChleoc » 30 Jul 2017, 11:13

I gave it a quick spin, looks like a fun game :)
GunChleoc

Postby palrogg » 30 Jul 2017, 16:14

galoyo {l Wrote}:Since the other licenses are confusing to understand and I want the haxeflixel community to benefit from the Space Castle source code, I will release it under the GPLv3.

Great, I'm sure you did the right choice galoyo!

I know little about copyright laws, but I guess GPL is also a better protection against code theft than CC-BY-NC (which doesn't cover source code).

Some feedback about thespacecastle.org: the GIF preview is perfect, but maybe you could rearrange the features list. For me, "Day and night system" and "Vines, water currents, special blocks, fall damage" are much more appealing than the first item of the list, "No obscene language", which is a bit redundant with "Fun for the entire family".
GitHub / LGPL platformer: Edgar the Explorer
palrogg

Postby galoyo » 30 Jul 2017, 21:04

palrogg {l Wrote}:Some feedback about thespacecastle.org: the GIF preview is perfect, but maybe you could rearrange the features list. For me, "Day and night system" and "Vines, water currents, special blocks, fall damage" are much more appealing than the first item of the list, "No obscene language", which is a bit redundant with "Fun for the entire family".

The feature list now has your recommended changes. :)
galoyo