Fighting Game, ideas are welcome.

Fighting Game, ideas are welcome.

Postby jdc » 29 Jun 2017, 18:13

Hi

Want to develop a fighting game for the community, think that is a kind of title that does need to updated to a point of recreating the hole game. it kind breaks the current strategy that the game have. Company's since they need to ship a new product they kind re-master the hole game. This breaks the current strategy. Opens room to build a game that can be more or less updated with out creating a new entirely game. In order for the game to be update the current strategy.

All contributions are welcome.

To start with the development going to set up the characters and strategy for the game:

Strategy

For my experience I think 3D games offer more then the 2D games. For example the strategy Behind Street Fighter have evolved a lot but it have it's own limitations compared with Tekken. The main problem is that 3D allows character rotation, while 2D doesn't so this simple mechanics makes all the difference between fighting mechanics.

Street Fighter have evolve on the fact that characters don't rotate so all the strategy is base on moving forward and back while in Tekken the mechanics is more subtitle, you can have more elaborated fighting styles since it allows rotation, forward and backward.

They push the limits to the counter move which i kind didn't agree that much when it came out in Tekken 3. You master all this fighting moves for hundreds of hours of practice, then the other guy just trained the counter blow and all that effort is broken due to a mechanic that goes beyond the style environment.

The counter blow makes a lot of relevance in a 2D fighting game, thing the last version Street Fighter 5 have the counter blow, since the characters are only moving forward and backward the counter can make the difference in terms of strategy.

For me and for most gamers out there Tekken 3 for Playstation 1, was one of the best fighting titles. So it combines simplicity, high strategy. Many people like the style I think it worth to reproduce a title and develop upon a work that is already well done.

Characters

Ideas for styles and blows?

For that we have martial arts styles that are well develop, you can develop or mix any styles if you wish to contribute.

Debates or thoughts on characters and strategy are welcome.

Boxing.
Capoeira.
Karate.
Kickboxing.
Krav Maga.
Kung Fu.
Muay Thai.
Tae Kwon Do.

Development

Think it could be nice for some artist to develop, a character, or get some existing character from the 3D libraries out there, and give it a martial arts style. A simple task, if some one want to do some tasks for the project.

The good aspect of the game since it does not have commercial objectives all kind of characters can be used. Later it can be arranged in a base set of characters, with a stable strategy and extra packs for people that just want to have fun with the game.

Maybe develop missions for the game so that people have something to do in the game?

In Tekken 3 was some very interesting mods like, survival, etc...

I will set up the project structure lather, maybe set some scripts.

Links

http://www.tavern.html-5.me/ in development at the moment is password protect to easy develop...

I lather will set up the project in Git Hub , already have a account, but it only contains old stuff. https://github.com/saintsoftware .
jdc

Re: Fighting Game, ideias are welcome.

Postby charlie » 29 Jun 2017, 22:14

I've moved it to Design & Ideas pending some actual progress, upon which please do repost it in Showcase & Collaboration.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Sauer2 » 29 Jun 2017, 22:52

Will your game have announced attacks, like in Oni? :^)
Sauer2

Postby jdc » 30 Jun 2017, 12:21

What kind of announced attacks?

Like attacks to be able to move in environment like in Oni?

The attacks in Tekken they often are grouped in a fighting style.

For what i see in Oni is just a effect around the character. Since i never play don't know, if is doing something more.
jdc

Postby jdc » 30 Jun 2017, 13:11

Added the Git repository: https://github.com/saintsoftware/fighti ... ters/Talia

Added a character.
jdc

Postby jdc » 30 Jun 2017, 15:45

Setting up the project lists:

Often people claim that OOP and object should take over the hole project, but that is not enterally something accurate I program every thing in procedural, expect when programming languages need to be done in OOP.

Lets see how this is done to set the base structure of the project in arrays.

The array structure:

-----------------Unity file ---------
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;

public abstract class lists : MonoBehaviour
{

//Configuring Arrays: type, first value  number of fields, second value number of entry's per field.
   // In Unity3D you can't use multi dimension arrays references so you need a index comments referring what arrays structure is doing.

/* CHARACTERS
      Name
      Fighting Style
      Base Damage

*/

string[,] characters = new string[4, 3] {
      { "talia", "kung Fu", "10" },
      { "ogre", "Muay Thai", "20" },
      { "", "", "" },
      { "", "", "" }
    };

/* ABILITYS
      Name
      Extra Damage
      Description

*/   

string[,] abilitys = new string[2, 3] {
      { "spinning kick", "45", "Character spines in the air hitting all near in a rotating way." },
      { "", "", "" }

};

/* WEAPONS
      Name
      Extra Damage

*/   

string[,] weapons = new string[5, 3] {
      { "club", "75", "10 intelect" },
      { "baseball bat", "75", "5 armor" },
      { "Chain", "75", "10 armor" }
    };

}

Opposed to this people may load the object on the fly and load the information for the character. Like :

object character talia;
character.strength = 40;
character.armor = 10;

Then if we need to access the information for the character for a in game shop, for a wiki, for a web page, for a mailing list, something off the scoop then you are going to load a object just to access and display that raw information? In case of Unity you can't do that because this objects often work in a scoop like the framework of Unity3d.

Is more easy work with the information in Arrays format, and if you plan to lather to port the game, that also make it easy to do that. Since the array format is often more standard then the object format. You have all the raw information in a more or less compatible format and you re-write only the objects in case you are using objects or just load the information from the arrays in to application functions. Like i do often, use the arrays was a reference point and load the information in to functions.

Another example if you plan to lather program the hole project not in OOP C# but in Javascript procedural. In Unity3D you can mix programming languages. In that case you already have a extra decopulation in case you need to access the raw information.
jdc

Re: Fighting Game, ideas are welcome.

Postby leilei » 07 Jul 2017, 08:31

How would you manage the hitboxes? Usually that blocks me before anything prior to conceptualization of a fighting game as it'd deal with networking and how engines would store such arrays and the pipeline to create them, etc.

(also my preference for ideal fighting game is Vampire Savior which is a heavy influence on 2d fighters in general)
leilei

Postby jdc » 10 Jul 2017, 19:46

"How would you manage the hitboxes? " Unity have collison boxes is pretty easy to manage.

Usually that blocks me before anything prior to conceptualization of a fighting game as it'd deal with networking and how engines would store such arrays and the pipeline to create them, etc.

Network need special calls since they will dependend on the server replay. Usuasly you connect with the other is this case there is a 3º step.

(also my preference for ideal fighting game is Vampire Savior which is a heavy influence on 2d fighters in general)

All ideias are welcome if you care to share them.

I'm on Unity connect a new application that allow to manage our project much better. If you need a link. Send me a mail to : joao.canteiro1@gmail.com and i will send you an invite.
jdc

Postby jdc » 10 Jul 2017, 20:47

What you people think on this characters:
A ninja, a monk and a vampire? Added the vampire based on the ideia of leilei of having a vampire e environment.

[img]Characters[/img]
Attachments
characters.jpg
jdc

Postby Lyberta » 11 Jul 2017, 00:47

Unity is a proprietary engine. You won't get much help and won't be able to fully promote your game if you will stick to Unity.
Lyberta

Postby jdc » 11 Jul 2017, 03:20

Ya i like to develop a C engine since i like to program in procedural. I already develop a PHP engine so i know how that works. The issue is that I'm depend on others to help out because that is to much work for me to handle alone. If i don't get help i will stay stuck so. That's the biggest issue here for not using a costume engine.

In therms of perform i don't mind sacrificing a little of aesthetics for more performance. Still there people playing with Quake 3 which is a game build on a C engine because of that kind of fluidity which you can't find that performance in other engines, since they move to C++ and is much less fluid.

If there are people helping don't mind develop a C engine, and it have a good back ground for it: Linux in general, Ubuntu are done and C and you have the SDL which is code in C.

Another good aspect is much of that C code can be rewrite since it have a limited set of dependency's which does not happen with C++, which really heavy on dependency's.
jdc

Postby Lyberta » 12 Jul 2017, 02:33

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 03:01, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby jdc » 19 Nov 2017, 13:33

Did some research and there is a open source fighting game, with a very high quality it's called Lugaru and is actively develop. Overgrow which is a commercial project think it lays on Lugaru.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKtTSUMgDjw
https://gitlab.com/osslugaru/lugaru/blo ... e/main.cpp

Basically is what people where asking, it's design in C++, high performance, and it have open world and pvp battles.
jdc

Postby Julius » 19 Nov 2017, 13:45

Overgrow however isn't open-source.

It's much older predecessor is, but it might not be quite what you have in mind:
https://youtu.be/IFEJohUC6yg
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby jdc » 20 Nov 2017, 11:06

Ya, i though something like that was going on.

Since no one pays you to release open source stuff, and if it is to much work no one is going to do it for free. You have that 2 points, or sides of the same aspect.

The positive aspect is all the code is working, movement, mini map, attacks and so on, the graphic more complex stuff is not release. Maybe you can use something like Ogre3D to improve that stuff. Since it's not an engine but i library it can be used with other code.

Another point that i'm thinking is programming is still a hard task to accomplished. Is not following other fields. Like for example 3D models. watching in the other day "black desert" you can fully customize HD character's. Maybe in the near future you can export them. But the point is you can develop a high quality character with a few clicks.

It is missing a tool that can create code more easy for the teams.
jdc

Postby jdc » 08 Dec 2017, 07:22

I made a post debating how the game can be implemented :

https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7718
jdc

Postby Julius » 08 Dec 2017, 13:29

That doesn't really help with the biggest issue of making a fighting game though... having really good animations. You have to either spend a lot of time/money to make a huge amount of really high quality animations, or you come up with a really clever animation system like the Overgrowth guys did... but that takes a lot of time/money to program also.

IMHO fighting games are probably one of the most difficult games to develop as a hobbyist due to that.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby jdc » 13 Dec 2017, 16:34

I think it can be made by code, you can get a more perfect way of implementing them.

I try to animate in blender and is extremely hard to do, the result if often not that very good since it is separated of the code.

With that in mind i thought in do it with numbers.

Maybe you get more advantages :

Can do a very high amount of animations.

For them to be perfect, maybe by tweaking the numbers to it's details you get more smooth animations.

Posted the interface sketch at the development tool.

https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7722
jdc

Postby Jastiv » 01 Mar 2019, 06:35

If the animations look silly, all the more reason to play it. Make some fighting clowns and then my son would play it. He has this clown obsession lately.
IMHO, too much it spent worrying about things like animations and "does it look realistic" or something. Forget it, let static cardboard cutouts slide around and just get some cool game mechanics.
Jastiv