Opensource vs Mystery...

Re: Opensource vs Mystery...

Postby eugeneloza » 31 Mar 2017, 15:15

charlie {l Wrote}:How many games have you ruined for yourself by going into the game folder and digging around because you were too impatient to play them first?

Relatively hard to estimate it. Roughly that was 3 of 5 plot-based games played in last half-year. However, 2 of those 3 I just became bored with (and eventually gave up one of them unfinished because I saw from the wiki I went the wrong way). So, maybe it's only Free Dink got spoiled? With 2 variants not-spoiled by spoilers. And 2 more variants spoiled by themselves? Relatively complex to estimate accurately. And RogueBox only "getting better" after analyzing the code :)
And its hard to estimate because only the games that weren't spoiled leave a mark (because there was no trivial way to spoil them), e.g. Valyria Tear (not the last half-year, but still sweet memories :)).
eugeneloza

Postby Duion » 31 Mar 2017, 17:32

Many games are even close to unplayable if you do not look up the wiki for it or other resources, it is like that with minecraft for example, it is almost impossible to figure out everything by just playing the game, only hardcore players that have no problem trying different combinations in the crafting screen for hours and not get bored eventually will find it out.
Duion

Postby eugeneloza » 31 Mar 2017, 17:44

Duion {l Wrote}:Many games are even close to unplayable if you do not look up the wiki for it or other resources, it is like that with minecraft for example, it is almost impossible to figure out everything by just playing the game, only hardcore players that have no problem trying different combinations in the crafting screen for hours and not get bored eventually will find it out.

Yes. But this looks like a game design problem to me. Thou it's quiet fine for some complex (non-plot based) games like minecraft, Dungeon Crawl, Don't Starve, etc. However, relying on external wiki (or other stuff like that) doesn't seem "clean" to me. Personally I don't like games where you have to rely on external wiki information / memorizing / using a calculator to count something.
eugeneloza

Postby Jastiv » 01 Mar 2019, 06:26

I'm in the Process of figuring out how to redo the quest system in Wograld. Games like Wograld, as with other mulit-player games can have other players in the game show you the ropes so to speak. That is how I'm getting through the quests now.
Jastiv