Ghostree Fight Improvements

Ghostree Fight Improvements

Postby Jonathan » 23 Mar 2017, 15:58

I've been working on a concept for the fight with the ghosttree at the end of the forest world for a little while. Instead of dying from inhaling lanterns, which is not very intuitive, I came up with a new concept. You can check it out in the attached level.
The idea is that the ghosttree is sensetive to light and can only live in the dark. That's why he created the ghost forest. So in the bossfight, you need to get all three colored willows in lanterns. They allow you to hit three bonusblocks. With each block, the stage gets lighter, and the tree takes a "hit". When all three have been hit, the stage lights up and the ghosttree dies.
As this is meant to be a concept, there are obviously a few things that would need changed if this were to become the actual bossfight. We would probably need some type of sound or effect (or both) to indicate when the ghosttree has taken a hit. There might need to be some scripting additions or changes to better suit the bossfight. Also the tree doesn't technically die at the end...
So what do you think? Leave a reply and tell me if there's anything that could be changed, and if you think this should be the official bossfight.
Attachments
ghosttree.zip
(2.22 KiB) Downloaded 693 times
Jonathan

Re: Ghostree Fight Improvements

Postby RustyBox » 23 Mar 2017, 17:09

This is actually an interesting idea. But we should also think about a reason to why the ghost tree is sucking in those wisps.

I got the idea a while ago that the ghost tree gains three different kinds of power.
- Red makes him rage creating a wave of his roots coming out of the ground
- Green makes him spawn several amounts of enemies
- Blue could make him spawn ghost which are dropping bombs on Tux. Tux then must grab these one bomb throw them into the mouth of the tree when his sucking in the wisps to hurt the him.

Note that I'm still not entirly sure about the "powers" for the blue one.
SuperTux Level+Worldmap Designer, Artist and Story Writer
RustyBox

Postby VNS » 23 Mar 2017, 18:12

I really liked the concept. That's all I can really say.
Hello there!
VNS

Postby brmbrmcar » 24 Mar 2017, 19:25

It'd be better if each lightup was done by a switch rather than a bonus block (it doesn't look vital but helpful). But I think the current method of killing the ghost tree should remain alongside this. I found it a challenge but not as difficult as the current method.
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby VNS » 24 Mar 2017, 19:35

That would be an easy change, simply copy the scripts into levers and place them somewhere reasonable. Then remove the bonus blocks.
Hello there!
VNS