The Land of VNS

The Land of VNS

Postby VNS » 16 Feb 2017, 03:32

My biggest passion for SuperTux is levels to play. And I have made several worldmaps, but many have been abandoned. So, I decided to put some use into the abandoned levels and placed them all into a worldmap. And now I bring you, The Land of VNS. My third worldmap.

Consists levels of my previous two worldmaps. There are also some unused levels in the map if you wish to look at them.

How to install:
1. Extract the world into a folder if not already done.
2. Move it to your supertux levels folder from your AppData folder (Find it by searching for %appdata%) Or here in this directory: C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\SuperTux\supertux2\levels\
3. Play the worldmap!

Be sure to contact me if there are any issues with the map.

ONE LAST THING - Some levels were made when I was bad at the editor, and others were when I had more experience with the editor.
Attachments
vns-map3.zip
The worldmap.
(123.11 KiB) Downloaded 484 times
Hello there!
VNS

Re: The Land of VNS

Postby mteufel » 28 Feb 2017, 09:25

Haven't played all levels, but some feedback: okay for a start.

Avoid using the same design pattern everywhere. Avoid complex levels. You could also work on following the style guidelines more. The puzzles are great, but keep in mind that this is not really a puzzles game (avoid using the same design patterns everywhere, you remember?). Use scripting in a more seamless way so the actions just get triggered magically instead of the player having to do that all the time.

Also, I see you're trying to look for a theme for each level. That's good.

But avoid mass-producing levels, because it will make it very hard to find unique stuff (feel free to look at other games for inspiration, but not always Mario) for all levels.
Start with an idea for one, two, at most five levels. Talk to others how it could look like, if you need to to get more inspiration/ideas for the levels. If you need custom artwork, especially music, have a look at http://opengameart.org/ and find appropriately licensed stuff.

That's how RustyBox designed the level that is currently available for donors (it's called "Crystal Mine" and features the crystal cave tileset). From the idea to having that level (it's longer than usual, though), it probably took us sometime between 2 weeks to a month.

Of course it doesn't need to be designed that well so we can ship it to donors, but you should be aware if you're not already that it takes time to produce levels and that they shouldn't be mass-produced.

tl;dr: don't mass-produce levels, but make few unique levels.
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby VNS » 01 Mar 2017, 04:02

I agree with most of your points; most of these levels are in fact, when I was only just learning the editor. I've learned much more now, and hope to bring better quality levels in the future, and I will study the style guidelines. Thank you for the advice.
Hello there!
VNS

Postby Jonathan » 01 Mar 2017, 17:02

Your levels for the most part were very good and creative. I especially liked the level Tunnel Under Construction; it was well laid out and looked great, and it made me want to play it several times. Great job!

One flaw I noticed, though. Make sure that you test all your levels and your worldmap before you upload them to see if they can be completed. If you can't beat all the levels on your worldmap, chances are the player can't either. The reason I say this is that there were at least two levels I had to manually skip because they were uncompletable. I couldn't get past the kamikazesnowball section on The Mothership; even with a fireflower, it's next to impossible.

The other level was A Mysterious House, but this was due to a simple scripting error. When you first call Tux.deactivate() at the beginning of the cutscene script, you never call Tux.activate() again. You can play most of the level normally, because you are in a different sector, but when you go through the door at the end you go back to the starting sector, and Tux is deactivated again, which essentially softlocks the game, and forces the player to quit or restart, and they can never reach the end. You could fix this by simply putting a script that says Tux.activate(); over the place where you spawn next to the goal.

Besides that, good job, and keep making levels!
Jonathan

Postby VNS » 02 Mar 2017, 00:46

Hm, "A Mysterious House" was I level that I had tested, but I can check again.. I believe you. Also, Tunnel Under Construction was inspired by one of RustyBox's level screenshots for his upcoming map.

I'll search for the bugs in that level and upload the fixed version here.

I personally didn't like The Mothership, as yes, the kamikazesnowball part is way past impossible. I was able to verify it by going through the top, but I will also nerf that level (Maybe even rebuild it).
Hello there!
VNS

Postby Jonathan » 03 Mar 2017, 23:15

I found another bug. On the level It's Bigger than you Think, after completing the spike-crusher section and going back to the blue pipe, there's no scripttrigger to bring you back to the main area.
Jonathan

Postby Jonathan » 04 Mar 2017, 18:00

Two more bugs. On Three Magical Lanterns, after the green parkour section, the switch freezes you in place. In the code you have written
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
Tux.activate;

Instead of
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
Tux.activate();

And in The Lava Race, there's no way to finish the level once you get to the top.
Sorry if it sounds like I'm nagging or pointing out flaws; I'm just trying to be an objective bugtester to help you make your levels the best they can be. :)
Jonathan

Postby VNS » 04 Mar 2017, 18:55

Ok... Thank you. I'll get these fixed ASAP. Right now I'm trying to make all the supertux tiles look sharper.
Hello there!
VNS

Postby VNS » 07 Mar 2017, 20:56

Once all the levels are spotted, I will fix them and reupload the map here. I'll also do some tiling changes in the meantime ;)
Hello there!
VNS

Postby Cristea Catalin » 23 Apr 2017, 05:56

I hate your levels. Some are too easy and another are imposibble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cristea Catalin

Postby VNS » 23 Apr 2017, 16:25

This levelset was quite a fail to be honest. But are there other reasons to hate these that you can explain?
Hello there!
VNS