World with Key

World with Key

Postby Oliver_Buo » 25 Feb 2017, 16:51

How to creat a World, who Tux have to finde the 5 Key's (to Noloks Castel ?)
see Picture
- thank u. ;)

KEY Level.JPG
Level Editor Exampel Forrest World with KEY
Oliver_Buo

Re: World with Key

Postby Jonathan » 28 Feb 2017, 04:39

It depends how much you know about code. If you're a beginner, I recommend copying the code straight from the forest world in the main game. Go into your supertux directory under data/levels/world2 and find the file called default.nut. Copy this file into the directory of the levels you want to test it on ( make sure it is in the same place as all your level files). Now the key menu in the levels and the overworld should be set up properly. Now if you're a little more advanced with code, you could edit the default file to suit your needs, but I'm not the best person to help with that. Hope that helps!
Jonathan

Postby VNS » 28 Feb 2017, 04:54

I agree with Jonathan, just check in with the supertux team and make sure it's OK. I'm still new to scripting in SuperTux, but I'm learning fast..
Hello there!
VNS

Postby mteufel » 28 Feb 2017, 08:36

Jonathan's advice is the best for now. Anyway, in the next few versions we hope to make it easier for level designers to add custom objects that the player can collect via a better scripting API.

Also, we're aware that scripting is very underdocumented right now. Sadly, with there being a lot work to do to get a playable game shipped, that's not our highest priority. However it's very important and we'd be happy to see people working on at least some basic scripting docs/guides. It doesn't even need to be/shouldn't be too programming-focused, but just so the user can get started.
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby Jonathan » 01 Mar 2017, 16:48

There is a very helpful and comprehensive scripting guide here: http://supertux.lethargik.org/wiki/Scripting_reference However, I think this website is now outdated.(Right?) Maybe this guide should be moved to the new website, or into the game itself somehow.
Jonathan

Postby mteufel » 01 Mar 2017, 17:03

Jonathan, this is more of a reference for people who already understand programming to some extent. So it is not suited for beginners; plus the website is indeed outdated. A more up-to-date scripting reference can be built from the game's source code using doxygen (which can be used to generate all developer documentation).

Thus, I'd like to see some better guide suitable for beginners. Integrating in the game won't work really well, because our GUI is too ugly for that.
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby brmbrmcar » 01 Mar 2017, 17:54

Right then, so an actually useful and easy-to-access reference is too hard for some users, yet some thing in the source code is easy enough? Well. You really don't understand beginners.

Apart from that, there is need for an easier to understand guide, and some things are rather ambiguous to those with little programming knowledge.
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby mteufel » 01 Mar 2017, 18:09

What we really need is a beginners' guide explaining the basic actions and how squirrel works and interfaces with the game.

Apart from that there is no need to copy an old version of the doxygen reference for scripting from the old to the new wiki, when we will provide a hosted doxygen via GitHub pages at some point anyway (If you want to speed that up, send us some pull requests).
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby VNS » 02 Mar 2017, 00:41

Most of the scripts from http://supertux.lethargik.org/wiki/Scripting_reference still actually work in SuperTux, even though they are not explained well. And yes, they are VERY outdated, it was from around 2013, back in 0.3 when that guide went up.
Hello there!
VNS

Postby mteufel » 02 Mar 2017, 18:13

Indeed, but more scripting features have been added and more importantly documentation has been updated and improved. Since documentation is actually a vital part of all software, it's considered outdated even though it might work. I even suspect these pages to date from around 2006-2007 when most work was being done on the scripting API.
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby Oliver_Buo » 07 Mar 2017, 21:26

Thank you for your answers.
I leave it for now, because on me too complicated.
Copy would be a possibility - but I have no desire on it. :|
Oliver_Buo