RogueBox Adventures: A Roguelike-Sandbox game

Re: RogueBox Adventures: A Roguelike-Sandbox game

Postby themightyglider » 02 Nov 2016, 16:40

Today I've fixed a little bug I've found because one of the save games you posted here. Here is a screenshot.
I also added a warning if one of your states reaches a dangerous level.

Edit:
I watched some of your videos. (Not all of them yet.)
It seems like you never use the possibility to build. For example you put your bed and the workbenches on free field and you never seem to visit a region of the game world that only can reached by building a down leading stair.
Are you aware of the build menu and do you understand how to use it?
themightyglider

Postby eugeneloza » 03 Nov 2016, 08:28

and you never seem to visit a region of the game world that only can reached by building a down leading stair.

Wow... I didn't know I can build stairs :?
Are you aware of the build menu and do you understand how to use it?

Yes, but I was sure it was "redundant" (something only for roleplay) :) So I've just ignored it.

P.S. I've remembered another feature, that the player can get "captured" by the trees. Trees grow around randomly, but the player might run out of axes. E.g. If I go down the dungeon and axe breaks/discarded/not taken with. When exiting the dungeon / resting in a far place the trees might grow and permanently block the path back to workbench.
Maybe the possibility to make a carpenter's bench without carpenter's bench would be a good solution?
eugeneloza

Postby themightyglider » 03 Nov 2016, 09:20

Wow... I didn't know I can build stairs

Building is one of the core elements of RBA you can build stairs to reach deeper levels on the main map but you can also build fields to grow crops(or cultivated mushrooms if you are in the underground) for example. You will sleep better if you place your bed inside a house because no monsters can come close to you and wake you up. A map you build many structures on becomes more secure because inside buildings only peaceful NPC's can spawn.
There are also some decorative things like bookshelfs, tables or pilars you can use to make your house look a bit more comfortable.

I've remembered another feature, that the player can get "captured" by the trees.

At the moment I am thinking about changing the way axes and pickaxes work. At the current state they can be equiped and used like weapons. This means they will get damage if you use them for choping down trees/crushing rock but also for attacking monsters with them. This has several disadvantages:
-First you have to switch inventory very often (What can be annoying like you allready told me)
-Secondly your tools can brake if you take them with you inside the dungeon. This causes the problem of beeing "captured" by trees.

What I like to change is that I want to create two seperate slots for axes and pickaxes. To do that I will have to change the design of the inventory screen.
On this way axes/pickaxes only will be damaged if they are used for getting resources. Also you don't have to switch your equipment that often.
To give a extra security I can also spawn a carvers workbench close to the exit of the dungeons.

Maybe I should set down the growing speed of trees as well.
themightyglider

Postby eugeneloza » 04 Nov 2016, 08:44

I've uploaded another video to the same link. Trying to build stairs into the hidden area :) But I didn't manage to. All of them lead to the same dungeon in the start location. I can't build stairs in the desert location, only in the forest. I also couldn't build anything inside the deep (water) area.
I've also managed to reduce video recording area size.
Looks like wooden pickaxe doesn't tunnel in the lower (water) area, but steel one does.
Had a few more CTDs trying to craft metal pickaxes. I craft the pickaxe, then I initialize the bench to grab it, but the game crashes (present in the video beginning).
Another idea is to make visual difference between passable and unpassable trees. And small cacti also look like they're passable, but they aren't.
Ping me, when you download the videos, so I can delete them safely.
eugeneloza

Postby themightyglider » 04 Nov 2016, 11:01

So far I fixed several bugs you told me about.
I also added two icons and a sound for stealing NPC's . Here is a screenshot:

I am just downloading your latest video so you can remove it later today.

P.S.: Some of the things you mentioned about building are maybe no bugs. But I can tell you more after I watched the video.

P.P.S.: It would be great if you could get the latest version of the code from https://gitgud.io/themightyglider/RogueBoxAdventures and test it with your save files. It also would help me a lot if you could run the game from the shell, so you can see error messages there if a CTD happens and paste them here.

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
cd [path to RBA]
python ./main.py

Thanks so much for your help so far!

EDIT:
P.P.P.S.: Maybe I should add the feature that the game writes error messages into a log file when crashing. This would make things much more easy.
themightyglider

Postby eugeneloza » 04 Nov 2016, 13:20

I've downloaded the latest version and will hopefully give it a try at weekends.
I'll also try running the game from console, but I recall I had some problems with that (but maybe everything worked fine, I don't remember exactly). Anyway, I'll try it.
eugeneloza

Postby themightyglider » 06 Nov 2016, 01:26

If you don't have downloaded the latest version of RBA's code, yet:
I have finished a new feature something like one hour ago.
If the game will crash, it will show you a minimal error screen and write the error message to SAVE/debug.txt .
So if you encounter any CTD while playing, you can just send me your debug.txt and I can fix the bugs more easy.
themightyglider

Postby eugeneloza » 07 Nov 2016, 11:33

I recall I had some problems with that

Everything runs fine from command-line. That was a false memory :)

I've forgotten the new game version at work, so I didn't test anything at weekends... I'll download the latest one right away.

P.S. I've remembered one more thing... player can die if goes to sleep with his hunger/thirst low (e.g. ~15%) and abruptly dies after waking up... Maybe give a warning that "sleeping will kill you"?
eugeneloza

Postby eugeneloza » 08 Nov 2016, 07:35

Ran some tests of the new version.
1. "Quit" now works flawlessly. But the game still doesn't close by "cross" button.
2. Roguelike mode now erases saves fine.
3. I couldn't understand what could have killed me in video replay I've just uploaded :). I had enough food and thirst... It sounded like some monster came nearby, but the character didn't wake up?
4. When I've got killed at normal level the character started without equipment. But there is no way to get one. Well, only by going rogue "naked" into the dungeon in hope of getting some loot... Maybe, character should "drop" all his gear at place of death? At least in the overworld. Or, maybe provide him with an axe? Still the character won't be able to make a carpenter's bench in case he lost one (like I did). And finding something like that in random loot quickly is a good luck.
5. bug: 1 floor costs 1 wood and 0 stone. While 2 floor cost 2 wood and 1 stone. So you can build floor one-by-one without having any stones...
6. Mobs don't drop loot when they're over some non-absolutely-free tile (pure grass or shallow water).
7. Didn't find any way to use fishing rod... (remembered from the previous version) It just writes "you can't do it here" while standing in the water.
8. Still... what do blueprints do? :)
eugeneloza

Postby themightyglider » 09 Nov 2016, 04:53

Ran some tests of the new version

It is good to hear that. I hope you got no more crashes.

the game still doesn't close by "cross" button.

It looks like this functionality has to be added by hand to a pygame window. I will do so.

I couldn't understand what could have killed me in video replay I've just uploaded :). I had enough food and thirst... It sounded like some monster came nearby, but the character didn't wake up?

player can die if goes to sleep with his hunger/thirst low (e.g. ~15%) and abruptly dies after waking up... Maybe give a warning that "sleeping will kill you"?

I will invastigate what are the provlems with sleeping and solve them.
When I've got killed at normal level the character started without equipment. But there is no way to get one. Well, only by going rogue "naked" into the dungeon in hope of getting some loot... Maybe, character should "drop" all his gear at place of death? At least in the overworld. Or, maybe provide him with an axe? Still the character won't be able to make a carpenter's bench in case he lost one (like I did). And finding something like that in random loot quickly is a good luck.

The way the difficulty lvl affects will be changed. But not wih the upcomming bugfix release. You will need to wait for version 2.1.0 .
Mobs don't drop loot when they're over some non-absolutely-free tile (pure grass or shallow water).

I will change this behavour as well. But this could brake save files, so this change will come with version 2.1.0 as well.
bug: 1 floor costs 1 wood and 0 stone. While 2 floor cost 2 wood and 1 stone. So you can build floor one-by-one without having any stones...

Didn't find any way to use fishing rod... (remembered from the previous version) It just writes "you can't do it here" while standing in the water.

I will fix this two bugs with 2.0.2 .
Still... what do blueprints do?

Blueprints change the way how walls and floors you build will look like. Thats just a cosmetically.
themightyglider

Postby eugeneloza » 09 Nov 2016, 09:14

Thanks a lot!
I've uploaded one more video.

I've tried to produce a wooden weapon, but it produced rings and talismans in place... (it was fine in prev. version)
Looks like no more CTDs! :) At least for now I didn't encounter any.
eugeneloza

Postby themightyglider » 09 Nov 2016, 10:31

I've tried to produce a wooden weapon, but it produced rings and talismans in place... (it was fine in prev. version)

I will check this new bug and fix it.

For v2.1.0 I've plans for an improved crafting system including skills like "woodworking" which will become higher with every crafted item and allow you to create better items, like stronger weapons, if they are high enough.

The unreadeable map will replaced with a status screen with all you attributes and skills then.
themightyglider

Postby themightyglider » 12 Nov 2016, 20:49

I've fixed the two main bugs you've reported to me.

-You should not encounter any more sudden death while sleeping.
-Crafting works correctly now.

In addition to this I added the possibility to close the game with the 'cross'-button (It will be saved automatically then).

For tomorrow I plan to fix a other bug I've found by my self. There is a chance to miss a immobile mob (e.g. a sleeping mimic), what isn't very logical.
After this I maybe will add one or two more comfort features and official release version 2.0.2 after this.
themightyglider

Postby themightyglider » 28 Nov 2016, 14:18

Today I have released version 2.1.0 of RogueBox Adventures.

Here is a list of bugs that have been fixed and improvements that have been made: http://rogueboxadventures.tuxfamily.org/blog/

I hope for much usefull feedback, like the one I got with the last release.
themightyglider

Postby eugeneloza » 29 Nov 2016, 11:38

Thanks!!! I'll download it asap :)
eugeneloza

Postby eugeneloza » 30 Nov 2016, 07:39

Tested with yesterday's git version 2.1.0.

* Closing now works perfectly. However, I can't close the game during world generation (I generated a small world and wanted a big one - there is no way to "go back" unless I generate the character).
* Might be a feature. On respawning after being blinded, the character remains blinded.
* Loosing essential equipment and any means of obtaining some on respawn is still the issue... Maybe, make the player respawn with 5 wood and make carvers bench available nearby? Or drop the equipment at the place of death (won't work for random dungeons of course).
There is just no way of continuing to play on "normal" after respawn unless the player takes serious care to prepare for it (e.g. a carvers bench with a fresh woodaxe available). Or make player capable of chopping the trees with his hands (e.g. with a chance of 5-10% plus taking damage at each hit + ability (maybe a special keyboard key active (+hint shown) only after respawn if the player didn't come closer to his installed carpenters bench) to craft a carpenters bench (extra expensive if done without tools, e.g. 30 wood and a lot of thirst/hunger/tiredness))
* Maybe, improve AI for "intelligent" creatures? So that they won't get blocked by a single tree.
* Orcs being hard-to-kill on first levels without weapons spawn a lot in the wood overworld.
* Maybe, a good idea would be that not all stuff can be wooden. E.g. magical (missle) items would require gems to craft. Wooden weapons are just a little more useful than bare fists, requiring getting stone or (better) ore. That might be balanced that a lot depends on the weapon quality in-game, but spawns of the "first day" are much easier to kill until player gets better equipment and higher level.
I.e. make the game less forgiving for not using its mechanics. But in later gameplay. E.g. the world would have its own "growth" curve (not too steep), and the game would start less complex than now, but will end up much more hardcore in some time.
* It wasn't obvious you can swim on deep water without armor :).
* Still no idea what stats do. Strange (must be strength?), skill, power...
* blinking current location on the overworld map would be nice. I know that starting point is somewhere in the middle. But I've lost " my current location" :)
* Maybe, pressing "i" key would also exit inventory? Sometimes I just drop in to check if I have free space for more items, and eventually I have to remember to exit with ESC key.
* Any way of permanently disposing of items? E.g. cursed equipment, rotten meat, etc.
* Maybe, a good idea would be not to spawn enemies near the dungeon/underworld entrance? Sometimes the player just gets overwhelmed very quickly which is deadly (and therefore discouraging for new players) at low levels.
* It's also a good idea to point out that debug.txt is located in SAVES folder. It took me some time to find it.
* After trying to pick up raw meat:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/eugene/RogueBoxAdventures-master-074c5f2ae2b5980bdf2144328ef5812524cf2093/main.py", line 9840, in <module>
main()
File "/home/eugene/RogueBoxAdventures-master-074c5f2ae2b5980bdf2144328ef5812524cf2093/main.py", line 9801, in main
screen.render(0)
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'use_group'

I don't remember exactly what happened. I think I've picked up the raw meat. Have been fighting at the same tile (entered and left a few times afair) and pressed ENTER (no raw meat was actually there). I've got a pick up item dialogue with raw meat (usually raw meat is picked up without any dialogue). Pressed ENTER again. And then the error message "Sorry, something went wrong".
UPD: Tested. Yes the raw meat can be picked up after it has already been picked up. Player just needs to stand in the same tile (the raw meat icon is not displayed) and press ENTER. Pick up item dialogue will appear and the following error.

* After trying to activate alchemists desk
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/eugene/RogueBoxAdventures-master-074c5f2ae2b5980bdf2144328ef5812524cf2093/main.py", line 9840, in <module>
main()
File "/home/eugene/RogueBoxAdventures-master-074c5f2ae2b5980bdf2144328ef5812524cf2093/main.py", line 9824, in main
test = player.user_input()
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'ui' referenced before assignment

The last drop-out was more annoying because the game didn't save and ended loosing 15-30 minutes of progress... And as the last autosave was in the middle of a battle, the player got almost instantly killed after load (it's enemy's move after loading the game?).

P.S. Are video replays of any use to you? I think, the text is faster to grasp. However, video replays might show the cause of the bug. Should I go on recording them? Or will text feedback be enough?
eugeneloza

Postby themightyglider » 30 Nov 2016, 08:23

If you could record the crash with the raw meat this could really help a lot. I can't imagine what happened exactly.
For the other points I agree that text will be faster.

I will try to release a hotfix as soon as possible for the crashes. The other issues I will try to solve with the next big release.(2.2.0).

Thank you so much for your fast feedback. It helps me so much with bugfixing and balancing the game.
themightyglider

Postby eugeneloza » 30 Nov 2016, 08:28

UPD: Another idea... maybe, it'd be a good idea to increase amount of biomes?

e.g.
first biome - normal: wood plentiful, stone scarce (fixed by going underground).
second biome - desert: tools plentiful, water&food is scarce
third biome - mountains: stone plentiful, food&water is scarce, wood is scarce.
fourth biome - swamp: stone and wood scarce, tough enemies
eugeneloza

Postby themightyglider » 30 Nov 2016, 10:48

Indeed I plan to add more biomes. Here is a shematic representation how the gameworld could look like.
I like your idea of a swamp. My first idea was a island or a beach, but a swamp fits much better.
Mountains would be harder to make. (I have no idea how to illustrate them.) Thats why I would like to do a wasteland biome with many rocks and dead trees instead.
I also plan to remove the possibility to build stairs by your self, instead you will have to find them in order to reach other maps. I hope this will make exploring more intresting to the player. It also allows me to change the save function in a way which allows to save/load single maps separately, what will be much better for slow devices like GCW Zero or something like a Raspberry Pi. I hope RBA will be enjoyable on such devices as well.
themightyglider

Postby themightyglider » 30 Nov 2016, 11:41

Update:
I've fixed the two crashes(no need for a replay any more) and set down the speed for the groth of new tree seplings.
I'f no new crashes are found today I will release this changes as hotfix on itch.io tomorrow.
themightyglider

Postby eugeneloza » 30 Nov 2016, 12:15

Thanks a lot! Is it available on GIT? I can grab it then :) upd: yes, I see the latest commit.
Too tired to make something useful these days. So I might get into some testing in the evening :)

Upd: about mountains - I've thought of just a rocky biome. No true mountains, of course. E.g. something one gets by replacing trees in the wood for rocks and different tiles texture, not more.
(Sorry for spelling errors, if any, not yet used to typing on a tablet without errors)
I think python apps should work on android too... :-).
Last edited by eugeneloza on 30 Nov 2016, 12:53, edited 2 times in total.
eugeneloza

Postby themightyglider » 30 Nov 2016, 12:39

There is PGS4A to build apks from Python/pygame apps. I made some apk files of earlyer versions of RBA but ran in different problems. Finally I dropped Andriod support. Maybe I will try to bring the game on android again some day.
themightyglider

Postby eugeneloza » 30 Nov 2016, 12:53

about respawn problem:
Each time the player respawns, the starting chest might also respawn, containing a carpenters bench and an axe (not as many tools, as the starting chest). If the previous chest wasn't looted, the new one will replace it completely.
Last edited by eugeneloza on 30 Nov 2016, 14:29, edited 2 times in total.
eugeneloza

Postby themightyglider » 30 Nov 2016, 14:27

Maybe I should think once more about the whole difficulty of the game.

What are you thinking about this:

-Monster level is set depending on how much days are left in-game
-some locations should give level bonus to the monsters (e.g.: dungeon, tomb, cave, etc.)
-items should never get lost

One example:

On day one all monsters have level 1 + location-boni.
On day two all monsters rise one ore more levels depending on difficulty. In easy-mode they are level 2, in normal-mode they are 3 and so on.

This means the why the monster levels is generated would be:

1+(difficulty_bonus*in_game_days_left)+location_bonus

I think this would be more balnced and less frustrating then right now.

In combination with the redesign of the game world(no more stairs build by the player) this would speed up the whole gamen because the player is forced to explore and slay monsters in order to be strong enough to survive the next day.

Maybe I should add some extra condition that the monsters don't become unbeatable strong if the player dosn't levvel up fast enough. Somethin like:

max_lvl = player.lvl + x
themightyglider

Postby eugeneloza » 30 Nov 2016, 14:31

Add to the post above:
Respawned items might be wooden, bad (20%) and cursed :) to encourage the player not to rely on it.

However cutting wood by hands is more promising, because it can solve other problem of being accidently blocked in the trees without an axe). Crafting carpenters bench would be also usable mechanics. Making unprepared respawn hard, but not impossible. Thou, will require adding two more mechanics.

> items should never get lost
No, they sould be lost. But a survival minimum should be available as the worst option :)
eugeneloza