RogueBox Adventures: A Roguelike-Sandbox game

RogueBox Adventures: A Roguelike-Sandbox game

Postby themightyglider » 24 Feb 2016, 06:44

Hello together!

RogueBox Adventures is a genre mix out of classical roguelike and sandbox-game(à la Freeminer), written in python.
I am working on this project for about two years now. I know progress is slow.

The basic idea behind the game is to offer a creative playground for players and developers as well. I like the idea of offering a toy world people can play with a lot.

Here is a link to the game page(https://themightyglider.github.io) and to the dev-blog(https://rbadevblogblog.wordpress.com/).

Here are a few screenshots:

Contributions in any form are welcome, may it be code, ideas or something else.
Especially I would be happy if a composer could help out with a few songs or sound effects.
A english native who likes to help with text in-game and on the web page would be wonderful as well.

Thanks for your attention. I looking forward to read your meaning about RBA.

-The Mighty Glider-
themightyglider

Re: RogueBox Adventures: A Roguelike-Sandbox game

Postby c_xong » 03 Mar 2016, 23:55

This project looks pretty cool. I was wondering whether it's possible to port it to GCW-Zero, an open source handheld console that has a 320x240 resolution. Are you open to the idea of redesigning the GUI? Such a low resolution may require having icons for the player stats (e.g. "<3 10/10" instead of "Health: 10/10") and the text console overlaid on top of the game area, like the Powder roguelike.
c_xong

Postby themightyglider » 04 Mar 2016, 04:59

Since RBA uses a 640x360 surface which is scaled up or down to the screen resolution of your device the game should be able to run out of the box on the GCW. The gamepad support and everything should work as well because the zero uses pygame for diferent things by default.
The main problem schould be that the font would be to small to read it.
Maybe I could write some alternative screenmode for very low resolutions that would be triggered on the zero.
Only the menus like inventory Maybe could become difficult because there is a lot info that has to be put on such a small surface.

In general I think RBA could be a cool game for mobile gaming. Sadly I don't own a GCW-Zero so a few photos of the game running on it In its current form Maybe could be kinda helpfull for me. ;)
themightyglider

Postby Taknamay » 05 Mar 2016, 15:30

As a roguelike, does this have permadeath?
Check out the #freegaming tag on fediverse.
Taknamay

Postby themightyglider » 05 Mar 2016, 20:54

You can choose how hard the punishment for dying should be when you start a new game.

In sandbox mode the monsters ignore you and you lose nothing if you die.
In easy mode you lose your resources and your xp.
In the normal mode you lose your whole inventar.
In hard mode your character is set back on level 0.
And In roguelike mode your whole saved game will be deleted.
themightyglider

Postby Taknamay » 06 Mar 2016, 02:02

themightyglider {l Wrote}:You can choose how hard the punishment for dying should be when you start a new game.

In sandbox mode the monsters ignore you and you lose nothing if you die.
In easy mode you lose your resources and your xp.
In the normal mode you lose your whole inventar.
In hard mode your character is set back on level 0.
And In roguelike mode your whole saved game will be deleted.

AWESOME! Normal mode sounds perfect for me. I wish more roguelikes had this gradation of options.

EDIT: Is there a way to play in windowed mode?

EDIT 2: Figured it out!
Taknamay

Postby Taknamay » 06 Mar 2016, 19:56

How do you make doors and floorboards? It would be cool to have a wiki or a simple guide.
Taknamay

Postby themightyglider » 06 Mar 2016, 20:39

You open the build mode by pressing 'B'.
If you press 'B' again the mode jumps from build walls to build floor and so on.

I guess something like a users manual or a wiki would be great.
If you like to write something... ;)
themightyglider

Postby Taknamay » 06 Mar 2016, 20:46

themightyglider {l Wrote}:You open the build mode by pressing 'B'.
If you press 'B' again the mode jumps from build walls to build floor and so on.

I guess something like a users manual or a wiki would be great.
If you like to write something... ;)

Thanks! And yes I don't have time now, but I would enjoy writing a user manual eventually.

EDIT: Do dropped items ever disappear? I haven't been able to make anything like a chest so far.
Taknamay

Postby c_xong » 07 Mar 2016, 00:57

The GCW-Zero has a screen size of 3.5 inches, a bit bigger than the nintendo DS. You can just scale your image to 320x240 to see what it's like, because that's pretty close to the size of the screen. Here's what that looks like:

So yeah the font is a bit too small to be read. It would be nice to also improve the visibility of the tiles, but at least they're readable.

I'm not sure why you chose a resolution of 640x360, since you don't use the full width. Do you use the full width in other parts of the game? For the main game I see that it's actually 480x360, so if you crop and resize that you get this:

This looks much better but because it's not an integer scale, the pixel art tiles will become distorted.

Instead, if we rearrange the GUI a bit, like this:

Then it's much more readable. The 240 pixel height almost fits the game world pane. The sidebar will need to be redesigned to use less horizontal space; I suggest using icons instead of text.
c_xong

Postby themightyglider » 07 Mar 2016, 10:36

The resolution is necessary because you can play with a mouse panel that works like an emulated keybord.

Here is a picture of this:

You don't need this on the gcw zero.

Here is My plan so far:

When the game starts in fullscreen it gets the screen resolution and use it to estimate a factor for scaling the surface. Is this factor smaller then 1 (this means you are playing on a device with a small screen like your handheld) a bool variable will be set to true.
Then I can build a seperate render function for the games main view, that looks like you suggested and call it when the bool variable for small resolutions is true. Furthermore I can make the game to use a different font size and/or style for the menues.

By the way what do I need to make a app out of RBA that can be launched from gcw zeros menu with a small icon?
Does it need a simple launcher like on any linux desktop or something else?

@Taknamay:
If you drop items on the floor they are represented by a little bag. This bags disappear when a new day beginns. Chests can be crafted as decorative furniture at the moment but this needs a bit luck because crafting decorative furniture gives you a randon object like a shelf, a table or a chest.
themightyglider

Postby c_xong » 07 Mar 2016, 11:28

Packaging for pygame is very easy. There's a utility here: http://wiki.surkow.com/Open_Package_Creator but all it does is create a .desktop file which tells the system which .py file to run, which should be a file with the python shebang, and then the whole game folder archived/compressed into an .opk file.

A while back I made a game using pygame which can be packaged for GCW-Zero, here: https://github.com/cxong/Slappa

I might be able to help you do the port but for now I'm busy with other projects. If you want to go ahead then that's great, and I can help you test as I have a GCW-Zero. You can also find more help at the dingoonity forums or on irc #gcw. I'm sadly not really into roguelikes but I know there's at least one guy there who is, he beat Powder apparently, so I'm sure you can find people to help if you reach out.
c_xong

Postby Taknamay » 07 Mar 2016, 12:26

I made a LibreGameWiki page that provides some basic information about the game.

https://libregamewiki.org/RogueBox_Adventures
Taknamay

Postby themightyglider » 08 Mar 2016, 00:57

@c_xong & Taknamay:

Thank you a lot for the feedback of the past days and for spreading a word about RBA.
It is very motivating to see that my game, even in its early state(compared to the vision I have), is able to catch peoples attention.
I can't promise that all your suggestions will be implemented with the next release in one or two weeks but I will try my very best to do it as soon as possible and hope you will keep an eye on my little project.
themightyglider

Postby Akien » 09 Mar 2016, 08:55

You have pretty good graphics, but I find the map area is quite small compared to the rest of the UI. The way information is given to the user is not balanced, almost half of the screen is used to give the values of the main characteristics, and thus there's little space for the rest which is IMO the most important ("what is happening in the game?").

I just saw this post where the UI was pretty similar to yours, and that has good insights on how to make better use of the screen estate: http://www.gearheadrpg.com/2016/03/07/f ... p-working/
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby themightyglider » 11 Mar 2016, 00:51

I thought a bit about the UI of RBA and I belive I've found a good solution to improve the UI and make the game playable on low res devices as well.
I will try to post a possible layout this weekend and I'm looking forward to read what you will think about it.
themightyglider

Postby themightyglider » 15 Mar 2016, 12:07

Finally I'm done with the concept of a new UI.

That is how it would look on big screens:

An that is how it would look on a small screen (GCW-Zero):

What are you thinking about?
themightyglider

Postby Akien » 15 Mar 2016, 12:47

That's very cool, nice work!
Akien

Postby themightyglider » 25 Mar 2016, 21:04

I've updated the git repo of RBA today.
I will do e few more changes tomorrow and release a official snapshot. But if you like to see the new UI or main menu you can already clone it. ;)
themightyglider

Postby themightyglider » 28 Mar 2016, 23:16

Today I've released a new snapshot.
Thanks to everybody who pushed me in the past weeks.

Mor informations and a download link can be found here:

https://rbadevblogblog.wordpress.com/2016/03/28/snapshot-3/
themightyglider

Postby themightyglider » 29 Apr 2016, 11:01

Snapshot 4 is out now!

For more information please visit: https://rbadevblogblog.wordpress.com/2016/04/29/snapshot-4/
themightyglider

Postby themightyglider » 03 Oct 2016, 15:39

Finally I can announce the release of RogueBox Adventures version 2.0.0 .
The game page has been moved to: https://rogueboxadventures.tuxfamily.org (You can find more detailed informations about this release there too.).
The core features of v2.0.0 are dungeons that are generated random every time you enter them, a improved AI for the monsters and decorative cloths that allow the player to change the characters look.
Feel free to check out the new version and tell me what you are thinking about.
themightyglider

Postby Akien » 03 Oct 2016, 17:18

Nice, congrats!

Could you tag your stable versions (especially 2.0.0)? I'd like to have a go at packaging it for Mageia (and I might provide a COPR for Fedora too).

BTW, moving away from GitHub is fine, but why did you drop the git history? You could have just pushed a clone of your GitHub repo to your gitgud remote and kept all the history. Git is independent of the hosting you're using for your repo.
Akien

Postby Akien » 03 Oct 2016, 17:57

Here's an initial spec file that should work on both Mageia and Fedora (latter untested, but I've used pretty classic macros): http://hastebin.com/oqeqelokub.pl
(CC0)

There are some issues with the game when packaged this way (e.g. trying to change an option will crash the game, even though the -h argument is used to specify config in $HOME). Just need to create myself yet another account to file issues on gitgud (too bad, I had a notabug account and the latter seems to have a more free software-focused approach, gitgud seems to be more like "we don't care").
Akien

Postby Akien » 03 Oct 2016, 18:15

Alright, I created an account on gitgud and made a first merge request.

Before I spend too much time contributing, what do you think about restoring the git history from GitHub (https://github.com/themightyglider/RogueBox-Adventures) in your gitgud repo? With some git magic I could probably do it, and let you force push it to your gitgud repo to overwrite the history. I'll wait for your go though, as I don't want to spend time on it if you're not interested.

Edit: OK I lied, since it was easy I still prepared a merged history of the two repos.

Here it is: https://github.com/akien-mga/RogueBox-Adventures
You can easily clone it, and then force push it to your gitgud repo's master branch.

Here's how I did it:

1) Cloned both repos
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
git clone https://github.com/akien-mga/RogueBox-Adventures RBA-GH
git clone https://gitgud.io/themightyglider/RogueBoxAdventures RBA-GG

2) Reset GitHub repo to HEAD~1 (we don't want the commit saying the repo moved)
cd RBA-GH
git rebase -i HEAD~2
// remove the line about the last commit, save
cd ..

3) Apply the diffs between GH's last commit and GG's first commit, which were not versioned in git
cd RBA-GG
git checkout 5b2a06e  // first commit in GG
cp -a * ../RBA-GH
cd ../RBA-GH
git diff  // check the differences, indeed there are some untracked changes
GIT_COMMITTER_DATE="Sat Aug 13 12:00:00 2016 +0200" git commit --date="Sat Aug 13 12:00:00 2016 +0200" -a 'Transition between GitHub repo and initial gitgud commit

Developments done by themightyglider <themightyglider@gmx.de>,
though non-documented.
Authorship and commit date have been faked to ensure a linear git
history, real commit date was Mon Oct 3 19:19:58 2016 +0200.'
// that will be the only commit made in my name
cd ..

4) Retrieve all patches from the GG clone to apply on top of the bridged GH clone
cd RGA-GG
git checkout master  // back to the HEAD of the master branch
git format-patch -16  // 17 commits, but we don't want the first "Initial commit on gitgud" one, since it would conflict with the GH clone's HEAD
mv *.patch ../RGA-GH
cd ..

5) Apply all patches on top of the GH clone's HEAD. Here we use a trick to "fake" the committer credits, so that nobody knows I had an impact there (some platforms, maybe GitLab, show the committer in the commit history instead of the author like on GitHub, so it's better for readability this way. Nobody needs to know that I did this history merging).
cd RGA-GH
for file in *.patch; do
GIT_COMMITTER_NAME="themightyglider" GIT_COMMITTER_EMAIL="themightyglider@gmx.de" git am --committer-date-is-author-date $file;
done

6) Check the status, tadaa! And push to a new repo.
git status  // worked fine
git log --pretty=full  // shows that author and committer and indeed the same person
git remote add akien https://github.com/akien-mga/RogueBox-Adventures  // was a GH fork of the GH repo
git push --force akien master  // force push is needed since we rewrote history by dropping the last GH commit
// bask in glory

And that's it. The only thing that looks a bit weird is the transition commit I had to make, which appears at the top of the commit history even though it's actually nudged between the GH state and the GG one. But it's better than no history IMO ;)
I could have faked its date too though. Edit: I've actually done that and adapted instructions accordingly. I've also updated my GH repo, so you can use it directly.

Now if you want to push this updated git repo to your gitgud instance, you can do:
git checkout -b merged-history
git remote add akien-gh https://github.com/akien-mga/RogueBox-Adventures
git fetch akien-gh
git reset --hard akien-gh/master  // will replace your merged-history branch with the contents of my akien-gh/master
git log  // always check that it worked
git status  // same
// if you're happy:
git push --force origin merged-history:master
// if you're not happy:
git checkout master  // back to your old branch
Akien