Wilber 2016

Re: Wilber 2016

Postby jymis » 31 Aug 2016, 16:13

I've uploaded my work on addons platform, so maybe you can replace the one added by someone else (ninja samuncle ? ;) )

News:
* add some details
* license update
* new loosing animation

Issues:
* black spots
* nitro emitter bad position

Missing:
* winning animation
Attachments
city-2016.08.31_16.54.06.png
jymis

Postby Ludsky » 03 Sep 2016, 22:31

This version of Wilber is so funny ^^

I love 2 logos : Wilber & Gavroche.

You remake there 6 kart than you are mentionned : (Wilber, Gavroche), Pidgin, Mozilla, Sara and Xue ?

For your Gavroche 2016, i find the kart is strange (too rectangular) and undersized tires (so little)
Ludsky

Postby jymis » 03 Sep 2016, 23:30

Thanks for the review !

I'm remaking mascots icons as most as I have inspiration and pleasure. Good news: by far it's faster to make an icon than to make a kart !
There are 18 characters in the actual roster.
Of course i want that players see a harmonious iconset on the screen, but I don't know if I will remake them all for 0.9.3. Several reasons to that. Firstly, Emule and Amanda's icons are pretty good for now, so I will bring iconset harmony corrections to them very later. Secondly, some of mascots disappeared from the roster over the releases, and IMHO i dislike Elephpant's kart so i'm going to ask to remove him (if my application is denied i'll know that i have to do one icon for him). Thirdly, and in relation with the previous point, mascots 3d models are subject to change when one of us has time to improve it, i don't know yet how they all will look like later; this said you can notice that I already have my idea for Pidgin.

I hope for Mozilla to return into the roster. Maybe not for 0.9.3, so it will be a surprise in the future i think. But you can be sure that i really want to do him. For a long time yet i've planned to improve the existing kart and i have another one idea, and i want to do both, like Sara has 2 karts.

When I was discovering how to make karts, I was training on Mozilla and Puffy. In the previous releases my 3 favorites were Puffy, Suzanne and that ugly Mozilla. Currently Puffy's kart is still funny to see i think, so I'll update him later than others.

Gavroche's kart is based on old cars, especially this one so yay, it's fairly rectangular ^^'
All vehicles can't appeal to everyone :D If too much people dislike it, I will change that.
Anyway, some contributors adviced me to focus on older mascots. So I leave out Gavroche for now.

Sara ? Where have you seen Sara ? I only see Kiki… ;)

Currently I'm working on Beastie. Kart's model is nearly finished.I prefer to show it to you finished, but I'm sweet so i've attached the new icon i've made. ^^
I'll examine current Beastie's body next week to know if i have to remake it ex nihilo or just improve it.
After Beastie, it's Hexley's turn. Maybe faster than Beastie to make so.

Meanwhile i'll finish Wilber, i wait a bit to submit him as 'finished' because i trust that he can benefit some improvements from what i make and learn with Gavroche, Beastie and Hexley.

Voilà :)
Attachments
beastie-icon.png
beastie-icon.png (15.01 KiB) Viewed 11393 times
jymis

Postby Auria » 04 Sep 2016, 00:13

Regarding elephpant, I agree the kart is not ideal, though if possible I would prefer if we could improve it or make a new version instead of removing it, as I very much like the idea of the character.

Nice beastie icon! You will need to provide a license statement before we can use it though (unless it's not finished yet?)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby jymis » 04 Sep 2016, 08:57

I've forgot to say that I'm not an animator. I don't know if can provide complete animations for all karts that i'm going to rework. I'm used to make setup with 3dsmax, but with Blender i've tested different vertices-bones assignments on Wilber but it always resulted the same geometrical deformation. So i'll have to cheat a lot i think. For Gavroche i've planned ahead to hide with the scarf and a seat belt if needed ^^' (can be useful for seams too)

@auria:
Ok, so now i know i have to do an icon for Elephpant, thank you. :)
A license for the icon ? Ok. I'm going to open a post dedicated to icons today, i think it would be better.
jymis

Postby Ludsky » 04 Sep 2016, 12:00

It's same for me, I don't like Elephant and Puffy but it will be great to remake there karts ^^ :)

It's will be great also to add Penny & Eviltux Kart ^^ Perhaps delete one Sara ? or increase the number of official kart ? (18 to 20)

Your Beasties Icon is good :) I am eager to discover the other icons (Perhaps remake your icon Xue & Pidgin ^^)
Last edited by Ludsky on 04 Sep 2016, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.
Ludsky

Postby 0zone0ne » 04 Sep 2016, 14:05

Personally, I think don't think we should be adding any new characters. We should be looking at which characters are the most iconic mascots, and fixing them up. If a character is of a low quality and isn't particularly well-known, it might be better to just get rid of them. Quality over quantity.

I'd be especially interested in seeing what re-designed Nolok would be like. He currently doesn't look as intimidating as he should, he needs a bit more detail and personality added to his character design. Imagine a large, hulking monster with armour and horns, squashed into a normal-sized kart. Obviously it would need to somewhat resemble Nolok's design in SuperTux but I feel like a lot else could be added.

Also, why ARE there two Saras?
0zone0ne

Postby Worldblender » 04 Sep 2016, 16:27

Once you have the final versions of the icons published, can you make sure that you also publish the source files (e.g. SVG files), so that it is easier for someone like me to edit?
Worldblender

Postby jymis » 04 Sep 2016, 19:07

@Worldblender:
Of course, i've just did it in the dedicated post.

@0zone0ne:
I'm ok with your opinion, but we all have personal feelings. If main devteam (here Auria) says that they won't get rid of characters like Elephpant (so I'm asking myself how Beagle, Blinky and (very older) Gooey disappeared, even if i dislike them, but anyway) we have to respect that. And that's our job to improve the actual roster.
Personally i want to add some new characters (as you can see it in my post for icons) but if i want them to be include, i know that the actual roster has firstly to be clean, up to date, and beautiful.

For Nolok, yay i'm not in a hurry about his icon because i think too that he can change a lot to be better to see. Maybe not huge as you say, because i feel like it's too much Mario vs Bowser like ^^ But something good, and at least a better 3d model and kart :)
Btw, i have a lot of ideas for rewriting and building the story mode later (like many people of course), and give a chance to more characters to be a part of it, but it depends on code and what i can do to help for art first ;)
jymis

Postby Worldblender » 04 Sep 2016, 19:20

They are there for the karts, but I meant for the character icons, where I see only PNG files.
Worldblender

Postby jymis » 04 Sep 2016, 19:31

@0zone0ne:
I've forgot to say that in fact there is obviously one Sara, not twins, but we're waiting for some code and ergonomic ideas to give the possibility to choose a charcater, and then a kart. Maybe 0.9.4, maybe later, but i think it's planned. It depends on programmers and UI/UX designers.

@Worldblender:
Gné ?
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7144&p=70610#p70610
7zip with svg inside…
jymis

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 04 Sep 2016, 20:30

This new Wilber is nice; now, the cap really looks like a paint tube cap.
BTW: Elephant is one of my preferred karts in terms of physics and IMO, it should remain like that. ;) I would like to see Gooey, Penny and Rubberduck back to the game. :)

Just a comment pasing by
These ones are the karts that I never liked:

Yet (I never liked the shape of the character looking like a Gorila instead a bigfoot)
Mozila (IMO, the physics of that kart was never good for my skills)
The first Wilber kart. Driving with Wilber was as challenging as the life in the wild West. The kart had the hard, the low and the bad suspension. Some others were not that wonder, but they were playable
Beast (I just don't like the character)
"Making cool harmless games makes the world a better place".
GeekPenguinBR

Postby jymis » 06 Sep 2016, 12:57

(Sorry for the late, but i'm working on Beastie's vehicle and character's icons, and gathering ideas for Gavroche and Hexley at the same time ^^)

Wilber updated on addons server.
Not finished yet.

(Can people who's in charge of addons platform update my name ‹ Néd J. Édoire › as designer, instead of ‹ unknown › ty ;) )

What's new:
* resized, better to see in selection's screen
* colourizable, useful for soccer mode (0.9.3) thanks to Benau's help
* added suspension system (just 3D, i didn't code physics behaviour…)

Todo:
* winning animations
* suspension system's texturing
* steering wheel's texturing

---

Technical questions:

* As you can see on screenshots, the kart is upper ingame than in blender (compare with wheels). Is there a trick to avoid that ? If not, at which height do we have to put the kart in blender to avoid involuntary change ingame ?

* It would be so nice to have a big paintbrush as a weapon instead of the green swatter for him, and maybe later Kiki from krita. Can a programmer me tell how to proceed ? :) (i love u :heart: )
Attachments
abyss-2016.09.06_12.55.45.png
teaser.png
jymis

Postby charlie » 06 Sep 2016, 16:08

That suspension looks like a lot of polys. Might need to find a way to do the effect without so much model detail (e.g. a textured cylinder).
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby ArDanWol » 06 Sep 2016, 16:33

charlie {l Wrote}:That suspension looks like a lot of polys. Might need to find a way to do the effect without so much model detail (e.g. a textured cylinder).

But it looks amazing!
I'm know pretty much everywhere else on the internet as "Kpenguin"
"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user - Murphy's 31st law of software
Each computer code has five bugs, regardless of how many bugs have been already found - Murphy's 50th law of software
"That's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!"
ArDanWol

Postby Auria » 07 Sep 2016, 00:47

I've changed the designer name on stk-addons, should be okay now.

With regards to the height, that's a bit hard, due to suspension kart height may vary a bit and we don't have a way to position things with high accuracy. Trial-and-error is probably your best bet, but in general you may want to avoid designs that require very precise wheel placement as they will move
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby jymis » 11 Sep 2016, 22:23

Thanks.

Last revision uploaded on STK Addons.
jymis

Postby LiamM32 » 04 Oct 2016, 05:22

Just started paying attention to this project again.

I'm sorry but I really don't like this new Wilber. Wilber the main character that I play as in SuperTuxKart. I think that the old model should just be worked on, rather than making a new one. This Wilbur doesn't look cute like the old one.
The kart that he's riding isn't as bad. I appreciate the idea of making it look like a tube of paint. However, aesthetically I prefer the look of the old one.

At one point I wanted to join the development in SuperTuxKart and my first contribution would have been to add a fur texture to Wilbur, but I never got that finished and my life moved on. However I'm trying to attempt it again.
But why is the old Wilbur model missing from the media repo? We normally keep old models, don't we?
LiamM32

Postby Worldblender » 04 Oct 2016, 21:55

LiamM32 {l Wrote}:But why is the old Wilbur model missing from the media repo? We normally keep old models, don't we?

It looks like that the old Wilber model did get removed from the media repository (wilber2 took the place of the old wilber). However, the revision 16747 is the last one to contain the old Wilber model, and also the only revision to contain the new Wilber model at the same time. This revision can be browsed at https://sourceforge.net/p/supertuxkart/code/16747/tree/. It might be gone now with the latest revisions, but at least it has been preserved by software. ;)
Worldblender

Postby QwertyChouskie » 04 Oct 2016, 22:19

Which is the point of version control. :)
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby benau » 17 Oct 2016, 05:18

Auria {l Wrote}:Hi,

there should be no problems using normal maps on karts now.

Normal map on karts is implemented in git STK now
benau
STK Moderator

Postby benau » 29 Dec 2016, 18:21

XGhost {l Wrote}:You will soon realise that making gloss maps is a pain and incredible time-consuming ;) . The only way to test your created gloss maps is to test them ingame. Meaning: you have to start STK, view your car on a track, close STK, edit map, save map, start STK, ..... over and over again. There is no preview option for now. Also, the look of gloss map really depends on the lighting conditions of the environment, so consider testing them on different tracks.

With latest git and artist debug mode on, you can reload texture(s) on the fly now.
benau
STK Moderator