Cops vs robbers?

Re: Cops vs robbers?

Postby Duion » 14 Apr 2016, 22:56

Whatever, it does not work with Mesa yet, that is the fact.
Duion

Postby Lyberta » 15 Apr 2016, 04:04

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 03:10, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby Duion » 15 Apr 2016, 09:28

Why people always want to re-invent the wheel? There are great open source 2D/3D engines out there, fully complete and functional.
Duion

Postby Julius » 15 Apr 2016, 10:59

It works on newest versions of mesa, and at least Terminal Overload (that uses the same engine) was made to work on older version of Mesa too. It is simply that by default it needs OpenGL 3.3 (or so, not 100% sure) while many distributions supply an outdated version of their Mesa drivers that has only 3.2 compatibility.

So this is basically a non-issue as very soon it will disappear by itself on all some-what up to date Linux installations.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Taknamay » 15 Apr 2016, 12:00

Re: Torque3d: What about Intel? Those have free drivers at the moment.

On topic: I endorse Godot, but that is the only engine I have significant experience with.

EDIT:

Just specifically addressing this -

Duion {l Wrote}:...you need the official ones from AMD or NVIDIA, which you most likely will need anyway, if you are a gamer.

I think this is a bad attitude to bring to a forum dedicated to developing free games. No offense to you personally, just not happy about this position. That is why I play mostly retro games. Like onpon4 said I think this might be an exaggeration, I hope so anyway.
Last edited by Taknamay on 15 Apr 2016, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the #freegaming tag on fediverse.
Taknamay

Postby dulsi » 15 Apr 2016, 13:18

Duion {l Wrote}:Why people always want to re-invent the wheel? There are great open source 2D/3D engines out there, fully complete and functional.

*sigh* Probably because of the responses he got here. He was told his choice for a game engine was poor for the style of game he mentioned. He was then given a plethora of new engines to investigate. When he commented on his inability to run ubergame, you told him his game would outdated (and therefore implying poor) if he didn't use closed source drivers.

FaTony: Multi player games especially FPS are not my kind of game. Good luck on your game.
dulsi

Postby Duion » 15 Apr 2016, 14:16

I did not say him to use closed source drivers, but that it is not my responsibility to provide free drivers for his graphics card, since it varies from manufacturer and operating system, so I have not much influence on that.
Duion

Postby Julius » 15 Apr 2016, 16:09

The problem is not so much closed source drivers, but rather using outdated drivers. Update your mesa drivers (mainly those using Intel cards) and it will work.

I can perfectly understand that the Torque3D developers, when they quite recently ported the engine to OpenGL and Linux, did not go out of their way to try and fully support an almost a decade old OpenGL standard that is only required by quite outdated drivers on a few GPUs (that are mostly too slow to run games on that engine anyways).

Edit: Just to clarify, I really like open-source drivers, but that it took Intel nearly a decade to support the full functionality of their own GPUs in their drivers, it really not something we should defend. AMD is a bit of a different case, as they only relatively recently switched to support the Mesa drivers and were supplying (pretty bad, but never the less) higher OpenGL version compatible closed source drivers for Linux.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Duion » 15 Apr 2016, 19:29

dulsi {l Wrote}:
Duion {l Wrote}:Why people always want to re-invent the wheel? There are great open source 2D/3D engines out there, fully complete and functional.

*sigh* Probably because of the responses he got here. He was told his choice for a game engine was poor for the style of game he mentioned. He was then given a plethora of new engines to investigate. When he commented on his inability to run ubergame, you told him his game would outdated (and therefore implying poor) if he didn't use closed source drivers.

FaTony: Multi player games especially FPS are not my kind of game. Good luck on your game.

If someone gets offended by such things, he will not survive long on the internet.
In certain communities people may be nice to you, but if you put stuff out there on the internet, everybody will judge it and people on the internet will have no mercy with you.
Duion

Postby Taknamay » 15 Apr 2016, 19:39

Duion {l Wrote}:If someone gets offended by such things, he will not survive long on the internet.

I don't think FaTony was offended (who can speak for themselves). I kind of think this thread was a back-and-forth of poor communication. The way I read your post, it seemed like you were saying the options are:

a) Use proprietary drivers
b) Have a bad-looking game nobody will play

When I think there are good engines that work with free drivers. FaTony, if you are making a 2D game I think you should definitely use an existing engine. There are a lot of good free 2D engines out there.
Check out the #freegaming tag on fediverse.
Taknamay

Postby dulsi » 16 Apr 2016, 03:13

Duion {l Wrote}:If someone gets offended by such things, he will not survive long on the internet.
In certain communities people may be nice to you, but if you put stuff out there on the internet, everybody will judge it and people on the internet will have no mercy with you.

There are forums that are welcoming and there are forums that aren't. If this isn't a welcoming forum, people will go elsewhere or decide not to bother with free software games. I'd rather encourage more people.

FaTony: I looked over your engine. By dividing it up into libraries like ftzGeneral, ftzConsole, and ftzUnicode, you put a high barrier to someone trying your game as they have to compile a bunch of projects. Although you might use CodeLite, I'd recommend including a makefile (preferably generated from the project file so it is never out of date). As CodeLite isn't included in Fedora's repository, I probably wouldn't compile such a project. When trying to make an rpm for Ostrich Riders, I found I needed to create a makefile anyway. Obviously your engine is early in development so it doesn't really matter yet. IMHO getting something running that shows promise is very important. That can get people interested in your project. You need enthusiasm to create a project but finding other interested in the game can be a great motivator. When an artist started building images for Bt Builder it really motivated me to complete more of the game.
dulsi

Postby Lyberta » 28 Apr 2016, 15:26

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 03:11, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby DGMurdockIII » 28 Aug 2016, 22:45

What about looking at the Grit Game Engine?

the engine is a is a community project to build a free game engine (and pipeline tool-chain) for implementing open world 3D games, such as the those in the GTA series, Saints Row, Crysis, Fallout 3, Just Cause 2, Mafia 2, Burnout, etc. Anyone can use the engine as a foundation for their game, and anyone can read / modify / integrate the source code.

home page - http://www.gritengine.com/
source code - https://github.com/grit-engine/grit-engine
DGMurdockIII

Postby Lyberta » 29 Aug 2016, 02:45

Deleted.
Lyberta

Postby DGMurdockIII » 29 Aug 2016, 07:37

yeah it is but there is the http://www.gritengine.com/grit_book/ has more info and if you like to come in the irc channel on the freenode network/server on channel #grit
DGMurdockIII

Postby Lyberta » 17 Jan 2017, 05:22

Deleted.
Lyberta

Postby Duion » 24 Jan 2017, 02:16

Whatever... Uebergame works now on mesa drivers, case closed.
Duion

Postby Lyberta » 25 Jan 2017, 06:59

Deleted.
Lyberta