Normal maps

Normal maps

Postby Skorpio » 16 Apr 2010, 16:11

I'd like to test some normal maps in-game, but don't know how to enable them. When I try to use materials with normal maps I get this error message:

OGRE EXCEPTION(5:ItemIdentityException): Unable to locate vertex program called Ogre/BasicVertexPrograms/AmbientOneTexture. in GpuProgramUsage::setProgramName at ..\src\OgreGpuProgramUsage.cpp (line 61)
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Re: Normal maps

Postby Skorpio » 06 May 2010, 23:20

Andrew could you try to enable normal maps in OGRE/OD? I'd really like to know how my normal maps look in-game.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 07 May 2010, 03:19

I have no idea how to set them up. I can try to look into it but it probably won't be for a while.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 07 May 2010, 18:10

Does this help you?

I think we should also consider (or at least try out) parallax mapping, as it should make even more detail.
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 22 Oct 2010, 15:03

I was able to test some normal mapped models in the Ogre demo (I simply replaced the Athene test model with mine), but they looked rather bad. The normal maps cause incorrect lighting along the seams of the texture and I don't know how to get rid of this effect. The details also looked worse than in Blender.

By copying the material scripts and programs from the Ogre demo to the OpenDungeons folder, I was also able to load models with normal maps in OD, but the game couldn't display their textures. At least the game doesn't give me that damned error message anymore.

We really need someone who has experience with shader programming and Ogre materials that contain normal maps.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 22 Oct 2010, 20:30

Skorpio {l Wrote}:I was able to test some normal mapped models in the Ogre demo (I simply replaced the Athene test model with mine), but they looked rather bad. The normal maps cause incorrect lighting along the seams of the texture and I don't know how to get rid of this effect. The details also looked worse than in Blender.

By copying the material scripts and programs from the Ogre demo to the OpenDungeons folder, I was also able to load models with normal maps in OD, but the game couldn't display their textures. At least the game doesn't give me that damned error message anymore.

We really need someone who has experience with shader programming and Ogre materials that contain normal maps.

But it is nice that it is working more than it did before :)

Yeah, now that Andrew is back in school we need another programmer :S Know anybody that might be interested? But I can see that he last visited us the 17th of October, so he will probably soon respond to this thread, so lets not panic just yet :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 24 Oct 2010, 18:42

I got rid of the lighting seams by inverting the red channel of the normal map, but I think there are still some errors. Here's a screenshot of the Wyvern rendered in the Ogre demo (it's so dark because I couldn't change the lighting in the demo):
Wyvernscreen3.jpg
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 24 Oct 2010, 22:12

Why is the armor not shiny at all anymore? It should have some shine to it.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 24 Oct 2010, 22:30

That's because the environment map doesn't work in the demo for some reason. In OD it works fine. I'll add some in-game screenshots to the Wyvern thread.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 25 Oct 2010, 16:07

Just to let everyone know, I am still here. I haven't been working on the code lately since I have been busy with school and some programming for a research project. I do still monitor the forums though and am happy to see there is still interest in the project.

The new wyvern texturing looks quite nice. It sounds like you are making some progress on the normal maps. If you find that something needs to be added to the code to support your work then let me know and I can try to add it.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 25 Oct 2010, 16:29

Hi Andrew, nice to see you :) I just wanted to inform you that we have a new member, he is from the movie industry where he has worked on sound-effects. He wants to get into the gaming industry, but he does not know much about game programming and stuff so he is learning C++ and various sound engines (OpenAL, FMOD, Wwise) and also the Unreal Engine 3, I have talked him into looking at OpenAL so he might help us with integrating that into the game. Also he might also help with some sound effects, overall he sounded very enthusiastic. He has enrolled for a computer science education in computer games and will at some point be going back to industry and commercial stuff. But he might still be a resourceful contributer :) He goes by the user name of YoreStudios in these forums if you want to contact him. Also it could be nice if you two could get a discussion going about how to implement OpenAL.

PS: Andrew: I have sent you an invite to chat through Google Talk, but it is sent to your Hotmail account do you have a Gmail account?
Last edited by svenskmand on 27 Oct 2010, 00:24, edited 1 time in total.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 26 Oct 2010, 17:42

Hey Andrew, I really have no idea what to do about the shaders and materials. Setting them up correctly is a job for a programmer. I'm just playing with the example materials from the demo and haven't got a clue why they don't work correctly in OpenDungeons.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 27 Oct 2010, 21:27

Andrew: please check your hotmail account, it is urgent.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 28 Nov 2010, 01:31

I'm currently experimenting with normal maps again and wonder if we can use mirrored NMs. I think the game would only have to invert the red channel to mirror a NM correctly. It'll cost performance, but the texture space would be much bigger.
Skorpio
OD Moderator