Easy to win quest “Closing the Gates”

Easy to win quest “Closing the Gates”

Postby Wuzzy » 20 May 2016, 14:05

There's a way to win the “Closing the Gates” quest quite easily, even on Brutal difficulty.

Just rush. Seriously. That's the way to win. Place miners on the two first visible glyphs immediately, walk with 2 more miners to the south-east branch and place them on the glyphs, too. It should be safe. The go “all in” with your fighters to the north-west branch and meet goblins. If you are good, you might even defeat all of them, but if not, you could manage to distract the goblins in combat while sneaking two units towards the glyphs. Since you win the moment you have placed the last unit on the glyph, you don't have to defeat all goblins.

You have to be quick in Brutal difficulty, but it is clearly doable even there.

Suggestions:
I suggest to add another victory requirement: As soon as all glyphs are occupied, the players has to keep them occupied for a certain while. The story already quite neatly explains this with “the gates need time to close”. :-) When an unit dies on a glyph or walks away, the timer resets. This should defeat the whole rushing strategy.
Wuzzy

Re: Easy to win quest “Closing the Gates”

Postby Andrettin » 20 May 2016, 14:39

Wuzzy {l Wrote}:There's a way to win the “Closing the Gates” quest quite easily, even on Brutal difficulty.

Just rush. Seriously. That's the way to win. Place miners on the two first visible glyphs immediately, walk with 2 more miners to the south-east branch and place them on the glyphs, too. It should be safe. The go “all in” with your fighters to the north-west branch and meet goblins. If you are good, you might even defeat all of them, but if not, you could manage to distract the goblins in combat while sneaking two units towards the glyphs. Since you win the moment you have placed the last unit on the glyph, you don't have to defeat all goblins.

You have to be quick in Brutal difficulty, but it is clearly doable even there.

Suggestions:
I suggest to add another victory requirement: As soon as all glyphs are occupied, the players has to keep them occupied for a certain while. The story already quite neatly explains this with “the gates need time to close”. :-) When an unit dies on a glyph or walks away, the timer resets. This should defeat the whole rushing strategy.

Thanks for the feedback!

Adding a timer like that would solve the issue, but it would also make the victory objectives more complicated. As an alternative solution, I've added goblin towers for hard and brutal difficulties to defend the glyphs near the goblins.
Andrettin
Wyrmsun Moderator

Postby Wuzzy » 20 May 2016, 14:43

Good idea, but that still does not fix rushing, maybe you still can get some units sneaking past.

Okay, how about this?: Demand that all enemies near the glyphs be defeated as well. I know this should already be possible, there are several quests demanding “nearby” goals.
Wuzzy

Postby Andrettin » 20 May 2016, 15:09

Wuzzy {l Wrote}:Good idea, but that still does not fix rushing, maybe you still can get some units sneaking past.

Okay, how about this?: Demand that all enemies near the glyphs be defeated as well. I know this should already be possible, there are several quests demanding “nearby” goals.

That would be easily doable code-wise, but there could be other ways of solving this without needing to change the objectives themselves. I added goblin archers to the brutal difficulty (and swordsmen to the hard difficulty) now, which should make rushing very hard. I wasn't able to rush doing what you described after the addition of the towers and archers.
Andrettin
Wyrmsun Moderator

Postby Akien » 20 May 2016, 16:46

These spoiler tags make for quite an interesting discussion when you don't select the text :D
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby Wuzzy » 20 May 2016, 17:05

I think I am happy with the proposed changes now. Of course, I can only tell you if the mission is better when I play the new version, and I am too lazy to build from source. :P
Wuzzy