Bt Builder

Bt Builder

Postby dulsi » 27 Feb 2016, 21:02

Explore a fantasy world in this turn based single-player role-playing game. Use powerful magic to devastate evil creatures. Solves puzzles to unlock hidden secrets. Save the world and let bards entertain travellers with the tale of your band of heroes.

Not satisfied with crushing the evil forces. Build a new world to share with others. Create new monsters to terrorize the adventurers. Design items to reward them for victory. Leave devious puzzles to vex the heroes. Your imagination is the only limit.

Bt Builder is a clone of the Bard's Tale Construction Set but it has more capabilities than the original program. It implements several spells and items that can't be done in BTCS. The two sample games are very bare bones and not much fun yet. Improving them to showcase the program is a top priority.

Website
dulsi

Re: Bt Builder

Postby Taknamay » 06 Mar 2016, 14:14

Nice! Bard's Tale always looked nice to me but nobody really did anything with it. Maybe the example games will give me inspiration.
Check out the #freegaming tag on fediverse.
Taknamay

Postby dulsi » 15 Apr 2016, 12:34

Bt Builder 0.5.8 released. Allow you to select continuous and indefinite for duration of spells. Added some spells to sample 2 game. Fix monster spell casters to target the player and not crash the game. Fix regenerate skill spell. Introduce a new picture search functionality.
dulsi

Postby dulsi » 15 Jul 2016, 16:00

Bt Builder 0.5.9 released. PocketCHIP fix. Street names can be added but are not visible in the editor. 'b' clears a street name from the current square. 'n' allows you to select the street name or create a new one. 'm' sets the current square to the last used street name. When the game finds street names it prints "You are on >streetname< facing >direction<." when you press '?'. New images have been added. The die roll for encounters can be adjusted. This allows you to have a chance for encounters of less than 1 percent. Upgraded to SDL2.

Post release I found out there is still a bug that prevents it from running on PocketCHIP. The fix is in git.
dulsi

Postby dulsi » 22 Jul 2016, 14:28

Put out a new Open Game Source article about upgrading to SDL2.
dulsi

Postby Julius » 22 Jul 2016, 16:55

Thanks for posting this, SDL is definitly the way to go for such relatively obscure platforms. I still remember what a SDL1 did for porting games to the GP32 & GP2X back in the day. I really wish more developers would embrace it from the start :)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby dulsi » 16 Sep 2016, 12:56

Bt Builder is now available in Fedora. 'dnf install btbuilder' will get you the latest version. I don't see it in the GUI install program yet. Not sure if there is some lag time before that is updated or if I did something wrong.
dulsi

Postby dulsi » 23 Sep 2016, 18:10

New release of bt builder is available. It doesn't add much which is user visible.
dulsi

Postby dulsi » 14 Oct 2016, 17:12

New open game source article on Bt Builder has been written about changes coming in the next release. It describes some refactoring to support a better UI for the map editor.
dulsi

Postby shirish » 16 Oct 2016, 09:31

It would be nice to have at least the basics of what is needed to compile and run the game in any linux distribution. For example if there is a makefile, there should be a configure.ac or/and configure.in file which does all the checks and figures out if the dependencies are missing. Another could be to change the build system to cmake which gives IMHO a better chance for testers or/and developers to find out what is going wrong when compiling the app. and share the same with others. The output while using cmake is much more ordered then with a simple Makefile.

Another thing would be to have a changelog file which basically takes all the git commit ids and shares it in the changelog, bonus points if git commit ids are mentioned, even more bonus points if dates are there in the changelog file.

Look forward to compile and play the sample game on my low-end desktops and lappies.
shirish

Postby dulsi » 17 Oct 2016, 04:58

shirish {l Wrote}:It would be nice to have at least the basics of what is needed to compile and run the game in any linux distribution. For example if there is a makefile, there should be a configure.ac or/and configure.in file which does all the checks and figures out if the dependencies are missing. Another could be to change the build system to cmake which gives IMHO a better chance for testers or/and developers to find out what is going wrong when compiling the app. and share the same with others. The output while using cmake is much more ordered then with a simple Makefile.

Another thing would be to have a changelog file which basically takes all the git commit ids and shares it in the changelog, bonus points if git commit ids are mentioned, even more bonus points if dates are there in the changelog file.

Look forward to compile and play the sample game on my low-end desktops and lappies.

As a user, autoconf is great. I get a program, run configure, and run make. As a developer, I hate that program. I just find it hard to setup. It provided a lot of benefit during the unix wars to find the correct includes for each unix but I find the complexity not worth it to me. I wanted to use cmake a while ago but I need a windows build. At the time mingw32-cmake existed on Fedora but I couldn't make it work with SDL. I tried again just recently and got it work so it is quite possible Bt Builder will switch to it. I've already converted SDL_mng to use it. I will say I still don't like cmake. Something about the syntax doesn't appeal to me but it seems to be the best option for my needs. I will also see if I can add a more detail install information to the documentation.

I'm not certain about an automatic changelog file. I feel there is value in having a high level changelog which is provided by the news.html file. Yes if you had one with commit IDs you could easily look things up in git but if you are going to do that wouldn't you already have cloned the repository and could just look at the log directly. For example I have a checkin which fixes resizing maps. That wouldn't be included in my manual changelog because no release had it broken.

Hopefully you won't be too disappointed at the incomplete sample game. I think it still needs a lot of work before it is fun to play and have a complete story.
dulsi

Postby shirish » 20 Oct 2016, 21:14

please let me know when you have made the changes so I can pull the latest release and tell if it works, what works and what doesn't work.

Update - I cloned bt builder but am missing the sdl-mng library . Is this the sdl-mng library https://sourceforge.net/projects/sdl-mng/ or is there a more up-to-date version of the library . Also how do I describe the sdl_mng library if I file an RFP (Request for Package) request in Debian ? The same question applies to neteria (https://github.com/ShadowBlip/Neteria) as well as https://github.com/bitcraft/PyTMX (the latter seems to have enough info. that I can file an RFP for it.)
shirish

Postby dulsi » 30 May 2018, 15:54

shirish {l Wrote}:please let me know when you have made the changes so I can pull the latest release and tell if it works, what works and what doesn't work.

Update - I cloned bt builder but am missing the sdl-mng library . Is this the sdl-mng library https://sourceforge.net/projects/sdl-mng/ or is there a more up-to-date version of the library . Also how do I describe the sdl_mng library if I file an RFP (Request for Package) request in Debian ? The same question applies to neteria (https://github.com/ShadowBlip/Neteria) as well as https://github.com/bitcraft/PyTMX (the latter seems to have enough info. that I can file an RFP for it.)

I'm sorry I didn't notice this message. sdl-mng library is found at https://github.com/dulsi/SDL_mng. The rpm spec describes it as "This is a simple library to load mng animations as SDL surfaces."

I did just make a new release. You can grab the release and see the changes at: http://identicalsoftware.com/btbuilder/
dulsi

Postby dulsi » 05 Feb 2020, 23:56

Bt Builder 0.5.18 has been released. Fix saving throws for monsters. Add better support for pocketchip mode. Allow black text to be changed to a different color. Add some more commands to specials. Add names to flags. Allow flags to be permanently saved. Add decorations to specials.
dulsi

Postby Technopeasant » 14 Feb 2020, 02:16

Can not say for your latest update, but the latest from the Fedora repo core dumped for me.

"[graham@Lore ~]$ btbuilder
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
*** stack smashing detected ***: <unknown> terminated
Aborted (core dumped)"

The editor works though.
Technopeasant

Postby dulsi » 14 Feb 2020, 15:25

Technopeasant {l Wrote}:Can not say for your latest update, but the latest from the Fedora repo core dumped for me.

"[graham@Lore ~]$ btbuilder
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
*** stack smashing detected ***: <unknown> terminated
Aborted (core dumped)"

The editor works though.

That's weird. It is failing in the map loading code but if I load the same map in the editor it works. Compiled latest with stack protector and I don't get the error. I'll upload a new version to rawhide tonight and see if it has the same problem. (Or at least I'll try. kinit was failing for me last night when I tried to upload a new version.)
dulsi

Postby dulsi » 23 Feb 2020, 19:30

0.5.18 has been added to fedora 31. It works. Not sure why it didn't work with 0.5.17 rebuild.
dulsi