Forest Worldmap Contest!

Forest Worldmap Contest!

Postby Hume2 » 21 Dec 2015, 20:39

So now we have 0.4.0 and we are looking for finishing the story. We realized that the Fores World is still not done. The current plan of linking the worlds is: After Tux passes trough Icy Islands, he obtains a ship to travel to a galacier to travel to the Forest Island. After Tux will pass trough the Forest Island, he'll get another item to travel to another island, possiby a raft.

This contest is about designing a WORLDMAP!
  • Design a new forest worldmap!
  • Use all playable forest levels from the actual forest world.
  • You can design your own levels and use them in addition. (optional)
  • You don't have to link it with Icy Island yet.
  • Got stuck? Use some placeholder stuff and leave a note.
  • Licence must be compatible with the SuperTux one. (Or just agree that Hume2 can solve it somehow.)

First prize
Your worldmap will be used for the Forest World.
A mention in the credits

Secound prize
Your worldmap will be used for an addon, based on the community-created forest levels.

Others
Your extra forest levels will be used in the addon mentioned in the secound prize.

Some questions to think about:
  • Should there be the need of finishing all the levels?
  • What about the story?
  • What about the boss?
Hume2

Re: Forest Worldmap Contest!

Postby Serano » 04 Jan 2016, 10:23

What is wrong with the old one?
SuperTux Team Member
Serano

Postby mteufel » 05 Jan 2016, 18:29

Serano {l Wrote}:What is wrong with the old one?

It doesn't really fit into the story we plan (read above and https://github.com/SuperTux/supertux/wiki/Milestone-3-Design-Document) - e.g.: we want the player to also be able to collect items that are usable in other worlds, or have more features specific to levels (Lights & Magic is a good example for that).
Right now, Forest World is a collection of levels with the forest theme, more or less just put together in one worldmap - no boss - no story.
So, we'd first like to see ideas about how users could imagine a worldmap fitting to the story described above, then we'd most likely fix the levels and "merge" it in some way with Icy Island.
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby Serano » 05 Jan 2016, 18:54

A strict linear map would be counterproductive, mainly because of the keys for the castle. And the keys could be more hidden e. g. through using only mushroom-symbols... I see what I can do. ;)
SuperTux Team Member
Serano

Postby mteufel » 05 Jan 2016, 21:35

Serano {l Wrote}:A strict linear map would be counterproductive, mainly because of the keys for the castle. And the keys could be more hidden e. g. through using only mushroom-symbols... I see what I can do. ;)

It doesn't have to be strictly linear, but more ordered so it fits within the story we plan.
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby MCMic » 06 Jan 2016, 16:21

I like the completely non-linear thing of the actual forest world.
I like that you have to collect keys for the castle, and that you can choose in which order and how you get to each key level.
For me it mainly needs an end boss. (But I did not get all the keys yet ^^)

About this thread, I don’t like the contest idea. It means several people will work on this and most of this work will be trashed as only the successful entry will get in. People should work TOGETHER on this, sharing ideas and all that.
MCMic

Postby Tlaloc1 » 17 Jan 2016, 21:50

The current forest world design is cool, and I don't think it should be changed. The only thing that needs to be changed is that there is no boss.
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Start
Tlaloc1

Postby Serano » 27 Mar 2016, 12:29

I made a little map, I'm not 100% happy with it, but it's a beginning. Maybe anyone else has a good idea, especially on the part left of the castle? I took the old 0.3.0 map as a template, by the way.
Attachments
forestmap.zip
(2.69 KiB) Downloaded 484 times
SuperTux Team Member
Serano

Postby Hume2 » 28 Mar 2016, 15:43

Thanks for contribution. I'll test it.
Hume2

Postby Hume2 » 28 Mar 2016, 16:49

Serano, it's good, I have just some notes.
Some levels are missing, so this should be fixed. I'll tell you how to make the castle working. As you can notice, the castle has two layers. Use the background layer to the background and cover it with the foreground layer. After that put invisible paths behind the castle, so Tux can walk trough it.
The level filenames have been changed to fit their names, but this is not a problem at all.

I saw that noone participated this contest, so I started rebuilding the Forest World myself. I'm glad that at least someone has participated though, so we need to decide what to do with the Forest worldmap. You can use some of my levels if you want:
https://github.com/SuperTux/supertux/bl ... _chasm.stl
https://github.com/SuperTux/supertux/bl ... n_away.stl
https://github.com/SuperTux/supertux/bl ... teland.stl
https://github.com/SuperTux/supertux/bl ... _hills.stl
https://github.com/SuperTux/supertux/bl ... _roots.stl
https://github.com/SuperTux/supertux/bl ... forest.stl
Some of them are completely new levels, some are only redesigned existing levels. If you don't want to continue with that, then tell me to close this contest.
Hume2

Postby Serano » 28 Mar 2016, 18:30

Okay, I fixed the castle and some tiles at the river (which I've forgotten earlier). How many levels are in the forest world currently? How can I download your levels? I think in the current state, my island would probably work better as an add-on, because it doesn’t have enough space for more levels. ;)
SuperTux Team Member
Serano

Postby Hume2 » 29 Mar 2016, 06:19

Currently there are 29 levels in the Forest World. You can download my levels by clicking the button "Raw" and downloading the contents.

If you want to make it to an addon and therefore not participate in this contest, it's fine. If you decide like that, then just please don't use my levels or any level from the Forest Island.
Hume2

Postby Serano » 29 Mar 2016, 19:34

Hume2 {l Wrote}:Currently there are 29 levels in the Forest World. You can download my levels by clicking the button "Raw" and downloading the contents.

If you want to make it to an addon and therefore not participate in this contest, it's fine. If you decide like that, then just please don't use my levels or any level from the Forest Island.

So be it. I will use my island for a new project, which will be made after I finished my Halloween-Island. Thank you very much for your help, and good luck with your own worldmap. :)
SuperTux Team Member
Serano

Postby Jonathan » 29 Mar 2016, 20:48

I also have an entry for the contest. I realize I'm kind of late; sorry for that. I redesigned the worldmap and added three levels of my own. To install, unzip this folder and replace the world2 folder in the supertux directory with the one inside. (It didn't work when I tried to package it as an addon for some reason) Please read the README file I included for further information. Thanks, and hope this helps!
Attachments
forest-v2.7z
(114.29 KiB) Downloaded 475 times
Jonathan

Postby brmbrmcar » 29 Mar 2016, 22:34

It is unfortunately missing some levels, and the levels themselves should be unmodified. You can contribute those other two, though.
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby Jonathan » 29 Mar 2016, 23:06

Which levels are missing? I didn't think I missed any. As far as modifying, the only modifying I did to pre-existing levels was to remove the boss segment from "The Silent Walls" and have it end after the last puzzle, because I wanted the treeboss to be a separate level. Am I not allowed to do this? If not, I will revert that change.
Jonathan

Postby Hume2 » 30 Mar 2016, 06:30

Thanks for contribution, I'll test it. Tweaking existing levels IS allowed.
Hume2

Postby Serano » 30 Mar 2016, 09:28

Jonathan {l Wrote}:I also have an entry for the contest. I realize I'm kind of late; sorry for that. I redesigned the worldmap and added three levels of my own. To install, unzip this folder and replace the world2 folder in the supertux directory with the one inside. (It didn't work when I tried to package it as an addon for some reason) Please read the README file I included for further information. Thanks, and hope this helps!

Hey, great map, I especially love your new level "Peril cliffs". :) But what's the deal with all these skulls around?
SuperTux Team Member
Serano

Postby brmbrmcar » 30 Mar 2016, 09:40

I also don't like the skulls. But still a good worldmap!
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby brmbrmcar » 30 Mar 2016, 09:53

Also, in your level Peril Cliffs, can you make those climbing things ladders from the ground, as it is not clear how to use them, and they become tricky. And this jump is too difficult. I would suggest moving it along one tile.
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby Jonathan » 30 Mar 2016, 12:53

Thanks so much! I'm glad you guys love my contribution! As far as the skulls go, I mentioned in the README file that they were to mark the transition between the regular forest and ghostforest, but currently the script to change the worldmap is broken (maybe someone else could fix this? If not, I'll keep trying). They're mostly just placeholder graphics. Peril Cliffs: yeah, I realize the jump was tricky, but I wanted you to make it from the wooden thing and then you barely make it. It was supposed to scare you a little. I can fix that, though. I suppose I could make the ropes ladders, but I kind of like the current design. Maybe I could make a sign telling you how to climb the ropes? Let me know what you think.
Jonathan

Postby brmbrmcar » 30 Mar 2016, 13:00

A sign would help.
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby Hume2 » 30 Mar 2016, 18:04

Jonathan: It's good, I like both your levels, I'd just advertize adding more levels, because there are long paths those don't contain any level. I've noticed that some tiles don't tile correctly, but that's actually not your problem. If you win, we'll tweak the tileset so it will tile.
Hume2

Postby Jonathan » 30 Mar 2016, 21:25

I edited Peril Cliffs to correct the parts that were too hard. It's so true that a level can be easy for a developer but hard for other players; I always breezed right through the hard parts. This is why play testing and feedback is so important. Thanks brmbrmcar! In regard to your comment, Hume, I'll think about possibly adding more levels if I get time, or otherwise just tweaking the worldmap to make the paths shorter.
Attachments
forest-v2.1.7z
(114.4 KiB) Downloaded 472 times
Jonathan

Postby brmbrmcar » 30 Mar 2016, 22:05

And also, in the level In the Heart of the Forest, the trampoline shouldn't be in a bonus block, but instead out there already. Bonus blocks should only ever be optional to defeat a level.
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar