[SVN] Karts slowed down?

[SVN] Karts slowed down?

Postby Crendgrim » 19 Oct 2010, 17:40

In the current revision (I don't know which - I've downloaded it today ... ) the karts drive so slowly that I don't know whether this is a test or a bug; so I'm posting it here.
Your kart won't get ever over 100 tf/h - and while being offroad / driving on a hill it's at 50 tf/h. Even nitro doesn't make any difference.
Is this planned?
If yes, why?

Does STK became a "car sleeping simulator"? :P

Besides, the nitro bonuses don't contain as much nitro as before ...

All in all, some things are a bit annoying. ;)

Crend
Crendgrim

Re: [SVN] Karts slowed down?

Postby hiker » 19 Oct 2010, 23:04

Hi,

Crendgrim {l Wrote}:In the current revision (I don't know which - I've downloaded it today ... ) the karts drive so slowly that I don't know whether this is a test or a bug; so I'm posting it here.

Knowing the exact revision would be useful. I assume that you have included Minibjorn's latest changes (though I don't expect this to make a difference in this case), so all changes potentially affecting speed are in.

What difficulty are you using? On low and mid difficulty kart will be driving slower. The exact amount might need some tuning still (you can test this yourself: modify data/stk_config.xml and look for a line:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
   <engine ... max-speed="..." .../>

This contains the maximum speed (in m/s, not at all related to the speed display in stk). Speed for highest difficulty is unchanged, but the other ones are slower now.

Second question: what track are you driving in? And where are you driving on? After properly supporting terrain specific slowdowns there might be some tracks that show unexpected slowdowns. Or you might be off track, and experience indeed the slowdown you should be getting ;)

Your kart won't get ever over 100 tf/h - and while being offroad / driving on a hill it's at 50 tf/h. Even nitro doesn't make any difference.
Is this planned?
If yes, why?

Ah, so if you are off track you will indeed get a slowdown. Most likely not on all tracks yet, but it is coming. If you think the slkodown is too severe, let us know where exactly it happens and we will have a look. But generally the slowdown is meant to prevent people from taking unwanted shortcuts.

Nitro and zippers are currently not handled correctly and will be fixed in a day or two.
Besides, the nitro bonuses don't contain as much nitro as before ...

Afaik nothing was changed here. Check the stk_config.xml file for
  <nitro small-container="..." .../>

That should be 1 for small, and 3 for big - the same value it has been all the time.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby Crendgrim » 20 Oct 2010, 11:26

hiker {l Wrote}:Knowing the exact revision would be useful. I assume that you have included Minibjorn's latest changes (though I don't expect this to make a difference in this case), so all changes potentially affecting speed are in.

If you explain me where I can see the rev. number, I can tell you... :think:

hiker {l Wrote}:What difficulty are you using? On low and mid difficulty kart will be driving slower. The exact amount might need some tuning still (you can test this yourself: modify data/stk_config.xml and look for a line:
   <engine ... max-speed="..." .../>

This contains the maximum speed (in m/s, not at all related to the speed display in stk). Speed for highest difficulty is unchanged, but the other ones are slower now.

This could be the problem... then the speed for "beginner" has to be adjusted - that's not funny to drive so slowly... ;)

hiker {l Wrote}:Second question: what track are you driving in? And where are you driving on? After properly supporting terrain specific slowdowns there might be some tracks that show unexpected slowdowns. Or you might be off track, and experience indeed the slowdown you should be getting ;)

The track / kart didn't make any difference, so I didn't mention it. It's in all cases the same ;)
But on "Jungle" there is one place with sand (after the bridge) where all cars slow down too much - I think this should be reworked.

hiker {l Wrote}:Ah, so if you are off track you will indeed get a slowdown. Most likely not on all tracks yet, but it is coming. If you think the slkodown is too severe, let us know where exactly it happens and we will have a look. But generally the slowdown is meant to prevent people from taking unwanted shortcuts.

That's a good idea, especially for a track like Jungle where it has been easy to drive just through the village... :D

hiker {l Wrote}:Nitro and zippers are currently not handled correctly and will be fixed in a day or two.

Ok, I didn't know this.

hiker {l Wrote}:Afaik nothing was changed here. Check the stk_config.xml file for
  <nitro small-container="..." .../>

That should be 1 for small, and 3 for big - the same value it has been all the time.

Then I only imagined it.. could be.

Thanks for your explanation :)

Crend
Crendgrim

Postby xapantu » 20 Oct 2010, 16:40

Crendgrim {l Wrote}:
hiker {l Wrote}:Knowing the exact revision would be useful. I assume that you have included Minibjorn's latest changes (though I don't expect this to make a difference in this case), so all changes potentially affecting speed are in.

If you explain me where I can see the rev. number, I can tell you... :think:

If you are using Linux, just :
svn revno

in a terminal.
xapantu

Postby Crendgrim » 20 Oct 2010, 19:04

@xapantu:
No. "svn revno" doesn't work.
"svn info" does what I wanted - if you execute it in ./STK/trunk/ and not just in ./STK/ ... :x

@hiker: Rev 6311

Crend
Crendgrim

Postby xapantu » 20 Oct 2010, 19:25

Crendgrim {l Wrote}:@xapantu:
No. "svn revno" doesn't work.
"svn info" does what I wanted - if you execute it in ./STK/trunk/ and not just in ./STK/ ... :x

ah, yes, sorry... revno i for bzr...
xapantu