HORDE COMBAT-3D fighting fantasy game for Japanese learning

HORDE COMBAT-3D fighting fantasy game for Japanese learning

Postby HORDECOMBAT » 15 Jan 2016, 08:47

Hi guys, I'm developing a free open resource 3D fighting game for Japanese learning, you can read more about it on Game Concept Section of Greenlit:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =599564530
The problem is, this is game is not complete open source. I bought a lot of code modules and assets from Unity Asset Store (for speeding up this project) and most of them are one per seat license.
I only send you the full source code only when you already bought all the packages I used for this game (of course, I couldn't publish what I bought) :(
I will only publish what I made, for example: fighting animations in source format, so other developer could reuse them for their own projects (even commercial) with other game engine like Unreal, Ogre3D, Irrlitch...
All the learning content I will also publish so you could create foreign language learning game more easily :D There are 4 official languages for learning: Japanese, Chinese, Spanish, Indian. The other languages I will let the community develop them. At the moment, the progress of Chinese is about 60% (with 3000 simplified and 1500 traditional hanzi characters), and Japanese is about 25% (with 1945 kanji characters).

I'm a fan of FOSS. Actually, my main job is CentOS admin. I use Blender and GIMP everyday. Eight years ago, when I was still a IT student, I joined a team for creating a big free open source game. Unfortunate, it failed (as common) :cry: Now, I have my chance to do it again, just wish I could do the right thing for the community ;)
HORDECOMBAT

Re: HORDE COMBAT-3D fighting fantasy game for Japanese learn

Postby Julius » 15 Jan 2016, 12:33

Looks like a cool project, but I moved it to the off-topic section since it is mostly closed source.

Looking forward to the Free assets though... make sure you upload them on OpenGameArt.org :)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby charlie » 15 Jan 2016, 20:51

I approved it because #1 it wasn't posted in Showcase and #2 the OP showed he understood the premise of the forum.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Akien » 15 Jan 2016, 20:57

Hi there and thanks for showing us your project! Of course for us free software lovers it's a shame that it's made in Unity and using some nonfree modules and assets, but judging by your presentation you seem to be very well aware of what this choice implies for your game. "Open resource" is a nice way of putting it :D

As FOSS seems to be pretty important for you regardless of your choice of engine for this game, I can only encourage you to try the MIT-licensed Godot engine for a future game. It has impressive features and should not be too hard to master if you come from the Unity world. (disclaimer: I'm nowadays quite involved upstream).
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby HORDECOMBAT » 17 Jan 2016, 18:54

Godot is cool :D I will try it later.
-----------------------------------
I bought 6 PS3 eyes to setup a markless motion capture system, like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIzY3khy6Yw

So I could save money and time when create animations, the quality of animations will be improved too.
HORDECOMBAT

Postby Julius » 18 Jan 2016, 11:35

Hey that's cool. Maybe you can also do other animation sets with that setup? Animations are really one of the main gaps in open-source game development (as in skilled persons available to make them by hand, or existing freely licensed resources).
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby HORDECOMBAT » 18 Jan 2016, 11:58

At the moment, I only have plan to create fighting animation sets for my 11 characters, and then publish them to the community. I do not have time to create another animation sets :( I'm just a loan wolf.
HORDECOMBAT

Postby Julius » 18 Jan 2016, 12:10

Sure thing, maybe later. But I am wondering how you will do all the crazy over the top jumping action :p Ok well in Mortal Combat it also somehow (but quite funnily) worked with rotoscoped characters ;)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby HORDECOMBAT » 18 Jan 2016, 12:15

I will have to modify mocap data in 3D animation tool like Blender for creating unrealistic and fantastic actions.
HORDECOMBAT

Postby leilei » 19 Jan 2016, 17:12

I like the dark elf, hopefully she's one of the fighters along with the mermaid
leilei

Postby Kroward » 31 Oct 2018, 08:12

Thanks for the Help! Please check fat burner here keto slim diet
Kroward