Open Clonk [mining/combat game] searching for contributors

Open Clonk [mining/combat game] searching for contributors

Postby ala » 25 Nov 2015, 18:17

Open Clonk is a free open source game mainly about settling, mining and combat. It can be compared to games like Minecraft, Worms, Terraria or Starbound. Let's have a look:

The screenshots show a small settlement on a sky island, and a combat scene in a mine. That hardly describes the entire game though.

Open Clonk is modable to the highest extent. The Game content is based on 2D and 3D graphics and is scripted using OpenClonk's own scripting language C4Script. All the objects in the game can be modified and it's easy to create extensions based on the original content making OpenClonk a very versatile 2D game engine. Its main features are:

- Scripting language for objects and scenarios
- Support for 2D and 3D graphics and animations
- High resolution 2D dynamical pixel based landscapes
- Continuous updates and support from open-source community

Clonk has been around since the mid-90s and progressed steadily. It has always been a game based on creativity, and some of the over 4000 mods of the predecessors include colonizing mars or tactical warfare.

However around 2009 the Clonk-series has been stalled. Some fans of the game then started to develop everything from scratch - and along with this they also made the game open source. That was a huge project and the beginning of Open Clonk and I'm so glad that it has progressed till where it stands now.

The next release is close and we are reaching for the next level of development. Do you want to get involved? We are searching for contributors of all kinds, especially:
- Graphic designers (3d modelling, texturing)
- Content developers (which includes coding or drawing of maps, level design, coding of objects and much more)
- Engine developers (engine is written in C++, continuing to optimze the Clonk engine and adding new features)

The current team consists of competent people mostly around for many years, and if you are motivated they will gladly guide you through development.

I hope I could make you curious, see you around :)

Links:
- Play Open Clonk on Windows, Mac or Linux.
- Watch a trailer
- Check out more screenshots
- Listen to some tracks of the soundtrack
- Join Clonk on Facebook
- Get involved in development, join the forum and check the git-repository
ala

Re: Open Clonk [mining/combat game] searching for contributo

Postby charlie » 26 Nov 2015, 11:52

Open Clonk is a really cool project, been keeping an eye on it for a while. Thanks for posting it here.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Akien » 26 Nov 2015, 12:13

Open Clonk is really gorgeous and seems to have a pretty cool gameplay indeed; I packaged it for Mageia and played the first tutorials, it was a lot of fun! I haven't played it much more than that yet though, as I already have tons of games on my to-play list for the time when I'm not developing games myself - but I just bumped Open Clonk nearer to the top of my list :D
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby ala » 05 Jan 2016, 16:37

There have been dozens of new things added in December including farming, new settlement missions, new "defend against the AI" scenarios, about 100 sounds, more landscape textures and a lot more - checkout the Blog for details and Download the newest Snapshot.

Are you a developer yourself? Get involved and contribute to the project. The next big release is very close :)

Some recent impressions:
A speedrun of a race scenario
Defending against AI Hordes

And some settlement screenshots:
Attachments
Decorated Cave.jpg
Settlement Screenshot.png
Sky Island Mining
ala

Postby charlie » 05 Jan 2016, 17:45

OpenClonk is really becoming a great looking game. I love the constant progress too.

Is there a .deb or a simple way of installing it for Ubuntu/Debian derivatives?
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Imerion » 05 Jan 2016, 18:38

Yep, this looks amazing! There's always several wills involved when getting together with friends to play games, but eventually I really want to try this together with some other players.

Also, if possible, I'd like a .deb too! :)
Try my games! : My Games - Read my FOSS Games Blog! : Free Game News
Imerion

Postby Newton » 06 Jan 2016, 01:29

Is there a .deb or a simple way of installing it for Ubuntu/Debian derivatives?

Of course, it is even in the package repository since jessie! See https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=openclonk

And if you run Debian in particular, you might be lucky, because the "generic Linux binaries" on our download page are built on Debian, as are the snapshots for Linux.
Newton

Postby Zapper » 06 Jan 2016, 10:54

While it's now very comfortable to just run apt-get install openclonk to get the last release, you might want to try out the current development snapshot with a lot new features!
It's not especially complex either, you might be lucky (on debian/ubuntu) and be able to just download the current snapshot, extract it and run it ( http://www.openclonk.org/nightly-builds/ ).

Otherwise, on about any other system it's probably around as much work as running (+ maybe getting one or two dependencies, if any):
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
cd ~
git clone https://github.com/openclonk/openclonk
cd ~/openclonk
cmake .
make openclonk -j8
./openclonk
Zapper

Postby Zapper » 16 Jan 2016, 10:46

OpenClonk 7 was just released and it's one of the biggest releases ever. And we are still looking for contributors :3

http://blog.openclonk.org/
Zapper

Postby Akien » 16 Jan 2016, 11:06

Zapper {l Wrote}:OpenClonk 7 was just released and it's one of the biggest releases ever. And we are still looking for contributors :3

http://blog.openclonk.org/

Woot congrats! I'll update my Mageia package asap.

I'd gladly contribute but I am kind of swamped by all the projects I'm already involved in :)
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby Zapper » 17 Jan 2016, 08:12

Well, maintaining a package for a linux distribution is an important contribution, too! :)
Zapper