Las Dunas Stadium

Re: Las Dunas Arena Song

Postby capricom45 » 28 Aug 2015, 21:47

Nice work on the songs
Socially banned since 2014, a somewhat sleepy musician
capricom45

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 28 Aug 2015, 23:20

Thank you! :D I confess that I wouldn't consider to compose "Long Jump" (since I'm not used to listen club DJs like Fatboy Slim, Tiësto, Daft Punk, etc,) until you post here a lot of songs and bases for club dance music. Unfortunately, the song has no utility now, because it was composed for this track, but I see that most didn't like it. :oops:
GeekPenguinBR

Postby GunChleoc » 01 Sep 2015, 07:56

The screenshots look great! :D

I noticed one tiny thing though - the big "Las Dunas Arena" neon sign looks a bit cropped at the top to me, maybe it's a texture positioning thing? Or it might just look that way in the screenshot.

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:Thank you! :D I confess that I wouldn't consider to compose "Long Jump" (since I'm not used to listen club DJs like Fatboy Slim, Tiësto, Daft Punk, etc,) until you post here a lot of songs and bases for club dance music. Unfortunately, the song has no utility now, because it was composed for this track, but I see that most didn't like it. :oops:

Nobody here said that they didn't like it, just that the other song fits better. As ArDanWol said, it would be good music for a circus track.
GunChleoc

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 01 Sep 2015, 22:32

GunChleoc {l Wrote}:The screenshots look great! :D

Thank you! :)

GunChleoc {l Wrote}:I noticed one tiny thing though - the big "Las Dunas Arena" neon sign looks a bit cropped at the top to me, maybe it's a texture positioning thing? Or it might just look that way in the screenshot.

It's the edge (not the U2 guitarrist, of course :lol: ), but some minor changes are made already. I mean not only on the neon, but in other objects too.

GunChleoc {l Wrote}:Nobody here said that they didn't like it, just that the other song fits better. As ArDanWol said, it would be good music for a circus track.

I know of course, but this was a joke. ;) Actually, I have another concept for the circus' song (if I consider the project relevant to go ahead), but I have one of the other "secret projects" that fit the song and vice versa.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby GunChleoc » 02 Sep 2015, 09:08

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:
GunChleoc {l Wrote}:Nobody here said that they didn't like it, just that the other song fits better. As ArDanWol said, it would be good music for a circus track.

I know of course, but this was a joke. ;) Actually, I have another concept for the circus' song (if I consider the project relevant to go ahead), but I have one of the other "secret projects" that fit the song and vice versa.

Adding a winking or laughing smiley after the embarrassed one would have helped me recognize that it was a joke ;) rather like this guy: :twisted:

Good to hear that you still have an idea what to do with the song :)
GunChleoc

Postby ArDanWol » 30 Nov 2015, 15:48

Bump?
Is the track finished? I'd like to test it for myself. :D
I'm know pretty much everywhere else on the internet as "Kpenguin"
"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user - Murphy's 31st law of software
Each computer code has five bugs, regardless of how many bugs have been already found - Murphy's 50th law of software
"That's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!"
ArDanWol

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 01 Dec 2015, 00:44

ArDanWol {l Wrote}:Bump?
Is the track finished? I'd like to test it for myself. :D

LOL, seems like someone told you. :lol: Yes and I have two good news:

1. The track is finished and will be uploaded this week. We did some improvements ad now, the track looks even better. By the way: I changed the name for Las Dunas Stadium; and,

2. I have a new topic with my projects and you can help me to chose the next. ;) Take a look:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6652
GeekPenguinBR

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 01 Dec 2015, 00:56

Krobonil {l Wrote}:Your song Rockability will fit well to the track ^^
It has a lot of fun inside and also the right amount of velocity.

Thank you, Krobonil. I'm happy to know that you liked it. You are a good composer and your technical opinion is important.

Krobonil {l Wrote}:Could you add a second verse to give more variety to the whole track?
30 seconds are seen through too fast by the players, I believe.

To be honest, I can, but the total will surpass the time lap of about 35 seconds.In this case, the song could have a totalduration of about 1 minute, but it will be intended for two laps insted only one. So, I think that Auria has another opinion about this sunject,

Krobonil {l Wrote}:And another idea. How about giving some catchy Boogie chords to it? A chord of Bb7 at 0:31 would be adorable :heart: Would sound somehow like the attachment. In my opinion it may be a bit naughty (is this the right word?)

Yes, I can, but the track will be released this week and I havea lot of jo to doing other projects, since I have other four new tracks. Check this post (you can help me to chose my next track):
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6652
GeekPenguinBR

Re: Las Dunas Stadium Finished

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 16 Dec 2015, 18:57

Hi! :)

Las Dunas Stadium is finished as you can see on the following videos. Our main goals are two: 1. A funny and exciting track; and 2. A beautiful track that looks as impressive as possible, but note that this track has nothing to do with the original Stadium. There's no a single object from the old and original track called "stadium". All the objects and textures that appear, were created by myself and tuxkartdriver specifically for this new track.

A lot of graphic improvements were done since the posted renderings. I added giant pannels with drawings showing sports like baseball, football (as it is in the USA), kart racing, etc. Tuxkartdriver has redimensioned the textures of concrete, grass and stars. He added beautiful lights too. IMO, the track looks better now if you compare to the renderings posted weeks ago.

We found some technical difficult to add some effects until this moment (because it's not clear were we can edit them) and some other, already added, simply appear not working properly.

This is the list with all effects we need to add:

1. Animation for the airship: (the animation is already done on Blender, but it doesn"t works on the track;

2. The song: The song is mute for while, so, we need to know what's the correct directory for the sound and what kind of files are needed, because we already have the .ogg and the .music files; ; and,

3. The skybox: The skybox is already apllied to the track, but, it's replacing the STK standard generic skybox. So, the same skybox is now on Ness and some other track. We need to know what is the directory where we have to place our six textures, because adding the our skybox textures and their own names inside the folder "Las Dunas" are not working; and,

4. Fireworks: we added the fireworks thus:
a. They were downloaded from the repository site;
b. Inside Blender we used "append" to import each item from the blender file of the chosen fireworks from the folder "objects".

Obs.: The fireworks always insist on being placed on the same basic coordinates no matter how many attempts we make to place them where we want.

Videos
Some videos showing how the track looks with the definitive textures and how the drivelines works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c8CKyrlQSg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEXRhgdMfFw

Video showing the animation on Blender as it can works on the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksjE_ldqeXI

We need to know this all before releasing the track (of course), so, if you know how to do all the listed above, you can help us explaining step by step each one. ;)
GeekPenguinBR

Re: Las Dunas Stadium

Postby samuncle » 19 Dec 2015, 15:12

The video is great but why not RELEASING the track ?

I mean how are we supposed to help you if we can't check in the track what's the problem. You as always only show us screenshots, video but never the actual track. Just release the .zip, let us try it and I'm sure we can improve it a lot.

Also as I said countless time if you don't want to release to the public the .zip you can send us in a private msg.

I can't answer without testing the track + having the .blend. Sorry.
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby capricom45 » 19 Dec 2015, 20:06

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:Hi! :)

Las Dunas Stadium is finished as you can see on the following videos. Our main goals are two: 1. A funny and exciting track; and 2. A beautiful track that looks as impressive as possible, but note that this track has nothing to do with the original Stadium. There's no a single object from the old and original track called "stadium". All the objects and textures that appear, were created by myself and tuxkartdriver specifically for this new track.

A lot of graphic improvements were done since the posted renderings. I added giant pannels with drawings showing sports like baseball, football (as it is in the USA), kart racing, etc. Tuxkartdriver has redimensioned the textures of concrete, grass and stars. He added beautiful lights too. IMO, the track looks better now if you compare to the renderings posted weeks ago.

We found some technical difficult to add some effects until this moment (because it's not clear were we can edit them) and some other, already added, simply appear not working properly.

This is the list with all effects we need to add:

1. Animation for the airship: (the animation is already done on Blender, but it doesn"t works on the track;

2. The song: The song is mute for while, so, we need to know what's the correct directory for the sound and what kind of files are needed, because we already have the .ogg and the .music files; ; and,

3. The skybox: The skybox is already apllied to the track, but, it's replacing the STK standard generic skybox. So, the same skybox is now on Ness and some other track. We need to know what is the directory where we have to place our six textures, because adding the our skybox textures and their own names inside the folder "Las Dunas" are not working; and,

4. Fireworks: we added the fireworks thus:
a. They were downloaded from the repository site;
b. Inside Blender we used "append" to import each item from the blender file of the chosen fireworks from the folder "objects".

Obs.: The fireworks always insist on being placed on the same basic coordinates no matter how many attempts we make to place them where we want.

Videos
Some videos showing how the track looks with the definitive textures and how the drivelines works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c8CKyrlQSg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEXRhgdMfFw

Video showing the animation on Blender as it can works on the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksjE_ldqeXI

We need to know this all before releasing the track (of course), so, if you know how to do all the listed above, you can help us explaining step by step each one. ;)

Great content, but where can I download the track or is that secret too?
Socially banned since 2014, a somewhat sleepy musician
capricom45

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 20 Dec 2015, 00:53

capricom45 {l Wrote}:Great content, but where can I download the track or is that secret too?

As I said, we need to add some itens as animation, the song, etc.. That's why we didn't release already, but I will send the file to Samuncle. The track willbe availabe here when all the effects work fine. ;)
GeekPenguinBR

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 20 Dec 2015, 00:58

samuncle {l Wrote}:The video is great but why not RELEASING the track ?

I will upload the file as soon as we finish to add all the bananas and powerups, which we need to test, of course. Then, I will send you a direct message with all the questions to solve.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby samuncle » 21 Dec 2015, 06:27

I will send the file to Samuncle

Did I missed the link ? I don't think I got it :3
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 25 Dec 2015, 03:11

samuncle {l Wrote}:
I will send the file to Samuncle

Did I missed the link ? I don't think I got it :3

I sent a direct message. The blender file is coming.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 25 Dec 2015, 03:25

Hi, everyone! Merry Christmas! :)

I'm happy to announce that my project "Las Dunas Stadium" is finished.

We (myself and Tuxkartdrive) spent a lot of time until we decided that the project had achieve the desired level.
Until the last week, we needed some help to fix some issues, but tuxkartdriver has worked hard to solve (he likes to discover things by himself) all the problems and now, he placed the song and the skybox at the right directories and both are working fine.

Animated arrows was another improvement he did. Now, the track looks much better with realistic animations for arrows and text.

Well, the job was divided thus:

Geekpenguin
-Project & concept design
-3D modelling (except the objects listed bellow)
-Textures

Tuxkartdriver
-3D Ojects : blimp, TV van (new version), inflatable can, guardrails, tyres and trophy)
-Lights
-Effects (canon, zipper, sounds, textures animations)

The track itself is finished with all the lights. All we need now are the fireworks and the animation for the blimp (the path and the animation already exist, but it doesn't works on the game). So, we need a little help from sam.

I sent the blender file and a direct message to samuncle about the effects to add. The track will be released as soon as samuncle finishes his help.

Again, Merry Christmas!

Tux Brothers (GeekPenguin and Tuxkartdriver).
GeekPenguinBR

Postby WillemS » 26 Dec 2015, 13:14

May I ask, like many others did already, why you are so secretive about your track? I'd love to try the track, but you don't seem to want to release it "because it's not finished yet". Well, what is the problem with sharing unfinished tracks? :(
WillemS

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 26 Dec 2015, 18:54

WillemS {l Wrote}:May I ask, like many others did already, why you are so secretive about your track? I'd love to try the track, but you don't seem to want to release it "because it's not finished yet". Well, what is the problem with sharing unfinished tracks? :(

The track is now with samuncle, but the project is known by everyone here. There's no mistery; at leats, no more. Just watch the video and see the screens to know how it looks. I think that, watching the video, it's pretty possible to realize if the track is funny, exciting, hard or boring and easy to drive on it. About playing it for yourself, this will be possible as soon as samuncle give us his feedback,so, we will rlease the track totally finished and working perfectly, instead a "final", but still experimental version. ;)
"Making cool harmless games makes the world a better place".
GeekPenguinBR

Postby XGhost » 27 Dec 2015, 01:11

You're making the same mistake every artist, developer and designer made on her/his early projects too.
I had to go through this process as well and I'm a bit spoilt by the fact working with 15 splendid game designers almost every day, which of course not everyone is able to.
Let me face you with reality, as quick and painless as I can afford.

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:The track is now with samuncle, but the project is known by everyone here. There's no mistery; at leats, no more.

Oh, I could write you plenty of lines about parts of your project that still remain unclear. <-- What I'm of course (...guess what) not going to do. When it comes to your project, I'm still a consumer waiting for the product. I can see the direction of your project, the look, the style, the huge amount of work of yours. But I cannot feel the atmosphere, the character, the developing process, the elaborateness, the suitability of your work. So, why bothering?

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:Just watch the video and see the screens to know how it looks.

Didn't work.
I mean seriously, it's like watching a gameplay trailer of an upcoming addon for an existing game. Does it give you any emotional impact except showing new fancy moves you'll be able to do? NO!

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:I think that, watching the video, it's pretty possible to realize if the track is funny, exciting, hard or boring and easy to drive on it.

No.
How can you as creator and developer of the track predict something like that? You neglect multiple of Murphys laws. And don't you dare do that! If you ever wanted spending hours of work and energy into a project which will travel immediately to the trash after finishing, thats the way to go!
Always remember:
Software / Design or Artistical bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user.
The only thing worse than an end-user without a clue is an end-user who has a clue - usually the wrong one.
There is never time to do it right, but always time to do it over.

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:About playing it for yourself, this will be possible as soon as samuncle give us his feedback,so, we will rlease the track totally finished and working perfectly, instead a "final", but still experimental version. ;)

Not going to happen. Never will.
Totally finished and working perfectly? Of course! Are you sure you want to put the 'final'-label on the first downloadable version of your track? I mean three test drivers --> you (artist), your brother (artist) and samuncle?
Ok, you can always say: "Hey, here's my track! I spent hell a lot of work on it --> so in my point of view I'm finished and won't work on it in the future.", all right. But please do not present your track like this. Or if you do so, do it on the very day you gonna release it. Without any announcements before.
When presenting the "developing process" and continuously insure that you are working on it, you must show a milestone.

No question, your track will be good of course! I cannot imagine something lousy for so much work. But is "a nice track" enough for you?
I'm not convinced for now.
Surprise me.
XGhost

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 27 Dec 2015, 02:37

Thanks for your interest as a “costumer” of my product. Thank you for all the philosophy about what is a final version as well, your argument about allowing the target public feel for itself and, but, really, the track will be released as soon as samuncle may give us a positive feedback.

The fact I have used "final" makes you understand cleary that this final is not a definitive final, but, as a project licensed under CC-BY 3.0 or GPL, anybody can working on it later, because I don't have interest to remain working on this track since I have other better and more important for me.

My project, any samuncle's project or one of yours will never be considered good enough or perfect by all the guys who will experience them by themselves. So, I don't have the fantasy to release the above doubt perfect project. I'm just making one of the many tracks that I have designed and believe me: I have other two projects that I'm sure tat they are better. We started making this track because this one was the harder and the most appropriate to make us to achieve a good level before starting better projects. We have learned a lot for while.

The track is now with samuncle. He is experienced as gamer and as an artist, so, we believe that his approval is enough to classify the track as interesting to play and we believe that there's a common sense about what is good enough. In other words: if the track is good for me, for my brother, for samuncle and, maybe, all the developers who will test it too, probably the same track will be considered enough good by the average STK fan. So, we will be proud to announce the project as a playable and finished track as any other already included on the main game or addons. For now, the track is just an almost finished track about to be improved, approved and released. So, everyone will text it like you ave teste all the rest. Nothing wrong with that. ;)
GeekPenguinBR

Postby XGhost » 27 Dec 2015, 03:40

Hey, thanks for your reply!
Please consider that my arguments do not affect your work itself (because you're doing an awesome job, what I mentioned multiple times ;) ) but the way how you are representing your work.
Fact is, keeping secrets about your work is a loose-loose situation. Of course you don't have to take every feedback for bare money. But I bet, you would have become plenty of ideas, suggestions and most of all compliments of the community if you had shared the track in earlier stages. Feedback is important, not evil. And come on - there are devs here on board. They always like playable progress!

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:The fact I have used "final" makes you understand cleary that this final is not a definitive final(...)

Uh... hmm... Ok...? Just wondering, because you used "final" (with quotes) for the example that you are not heading for.
GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:(...) we will rlease the track totally finished and working perfectly, instead a "final", but still experimental version

Yep samuncle's doing his job well. But hey, there are other people here too! Why posting videos and pictures when you could share your track?
XGhost

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 27 Dec 2015, 03:52

Hi, again,

XGhost {l Wrote}:Hey, thanks for your reply!
Please consider that my arguments do not affect your work itself (because you're doing an awesome job, what I mentioned multiple times ;)

Thnaks a lot! :)

XGhost {l Wrote}:Yep samuncle's doing his job well. But hey, there are other people here too! Why posting videos and pictures when you could share your track?

Because even a few days ago, the track still had some issues with the jumps, skybox, song,etc. The tyres and cones were not "pushable", there was not bright objects, the drivelines required some correction and other issues that made the track inappropriate to be released. ;) Now, we sent the file to samuncle and we know he was expecting some kind of imperfection to fix or to improve, because, as developer and leader artist, he must look for imperfections, but the public on this forum expects a track to drive on it with no problems or lack of effects. That's why we didn't realize it yet before all the effects are added and all the mechanics of the race works as perfect and as normal as possible in all the points of the two drivelines.
Last edited by GeekPenguinBR on 27 Dec 2015, 04:06, edited 2 times in total.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby XGhost » 27 Dec 2015, 04:02

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:Because even a few days ago, the track still had some issues with the jumps, skybox, song,etc. The tyres and cones were not "pushable", there was not bright objects, the drivelines required some correction and other issues

And this is exactly what noone cares! We all know that the track is a WIP. We won't hang you up on such banalities. ;)
Every player has his own experience? You're probably right. How about giving us at least an experience...?
XGhost

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 27 Dec 2015, 04:10

XGhost {l Wrote}:And this is exactly what noone cares! We all know that the track is a WIP. We won't hang you up on such banalities. ;) Every player has his own experience? You're probably right. How about giving us at least an experience...?

Well, maybe nobody cares about effects on tyres while the track is wip, but nobody wants to drive on a track when you never win or never lose and this was the status of the race until last week, because we were doing (crazy, mad) experiences on new ways to win on STK.

Now, the track sent to samuncle has almost all effects, but the mechanics is still experimental, so, we asked his opinion about this subject, but maybe the team doesn't approves it. :oops:
GeekPenguinBR

Postby WillemS » 27 Dec 2015, 13:14

Of course, you can decide for yourself whether you want to release WIP tracks. Also let me repeat what XGhost said: the track looks great, and fun to play. :) However, I think that you misunderstand what I meant.

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:(...) but nobody wants to drive on a track when you never win or never lose (...)

Indeed, not for finished tracks. But for WIP tracks, such things are perfectly fine in my opinion! While samuncle was working on the Cocoa Temple track, I played lots of versions from SVN, most of which were broken in some way. Still, I really liked doing that, just to see the awesome artistic progress being made.

I think everyone understands that a track labelled WIP is not finished. If you just say "hey, this is a WIP track, note that you can't finish a lap because the track is not complete" people can decide for themselves whether they want to try this.

In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished track! :)
WillemS