Wyrmsun (about time I made a topic about it here!)

Wyrmsun (about time I made a topic about it here!)

Postby Andrettin » 22 Oct 2015, 22:22

Fellow open-source enthusiasts, I would like to present you the game I develop, Wyrmsun. The game is an open-source RTS (code under the GPLv2, and assets under various licenses), based on elements of mythology, history and fiction.

The basic premise of the game's universe is that it contains a plethora of inhabited worlds, with fantasy races such as dwarves existing - but dwelling on a different world from humans, who live on Earth.

Features:
- Retro-style graphics
- 2 playable civilizations, and a number of non-playable ones
- 23 quests to play, earning technology points which can be used to obtain new units, buildings and technologies
- 39 units, 32 buildings and 21 technologies
- Units can earn experience, being able to upgrade to new unit types or acquire new abilities upon level-up
- Persistent heroes, who carry over their level and abilities throughout scenarios
- Personal names and traits for units
- Cave, Conifer Forest, Dungeon, Fairlimbed Forest and Swamp tilesets
- Dozens of maps of real and fictional locations to choose from, as well as random maps
- Living environment, with fauna reproduction and predation
- Very moddable game, with mod-loading capability built in
- Grand strategy mode, where production is resolved on the strategic (world map) level, while battles are resolved on the tactical level
- In-game encyclopedia, allowing players to learn more about the units, buildings and other elements of the game, as well as their historical and mythological sources of inspiration

Wyrmsun's lore is based on history and mythology, and on the lore of other open-source fantasy games, such as Battle for Wesnoth.

Wyrmsun's data repository can be found here, and its engine's repository is available here. The game is also available on Steam for those who want to support the project or to benefits such as automatic updates, Steam Workshop integration and Steam Trading cards. Thanks to Akien's kind help, the game is also available for Linux there.

IndieDB Page
Facebook Page
Twitter
Libregamewiki Article
Subreddit

Andrettin
Wyrmsun Moderator

Re: Wyrmsun (about time I made a topic about it here!)

Postby Imerion » 24 Oct 2015, 10:38

Nice to see this project here! It's one of my favorite FOSS games without doubt. Really amazing work! So much attention to detail, so many nice gameplay features. I'm trying to get together a few friends so we can play it multiplayer just because I like this so much. Also, development seems to be at a crazy pace, with new stuff all the time. Just wanted to say thanks and that I really appreciate this game!

Also, a small question. Have you had any plans on setting up a PPA for it? (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas)
Try my games! : My Games - Read my FOSS Games Blog! : Free Game News
Imerion

Postby Andrettin » 24 Oct 2015, 18:21

Imerion {l Wrote}:Nice to see this project here! It's one of my favorite FOSS games without doubt. Really amazing work! So much attention to detail, so many nice gameplay features. I'm trying to get together a few friends so we can play it multiplayer just because I like this so much. Also, development seems to be at a crazy pace, with new stuff all the time. Just wanted to say thanks and that I really appreciate this game!

Thank you! It is really nice to see such appreciation for the game :)

Also, a small question. Have you had any plans on setting up a PPA for it? (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas)

There are no current plans to set up one. Would it make things easier for Ubuntu players to do so?
Andrettin
Wyrmsun Moderator

Postby Imerion » 24 Oct 2015, 23:23

There are no current plans to set up one. Would it make things easier for Ubuntu players to do so?

A bit. It would take care of automatic updating and it would appear in window manager menus and such automatically. But just download and unzip works good as well.
There is also the alternative of asking GetDeb (http://www.getdeb.net/welcome/) for help creating a package, they usually take care of that. I could post a request for you if you want, but I understand if you'd rather have people see your Steam-entry or GameJolt-page. :)
Imerion

Postby Andrettin » 25 Oct 2015, 11:12

Imerion {l Wrote}:A bit. It would take care of automatic updating and it would appear in window manager menus and such automatically. But just download and unzip works good as well.
There is also the alternative of asking GetDeb (http://www.getdeb.net/welcome/) for help creating a package, they usually take care of that. I could post a request for you if you want, but I understand if you'd rather have people see your Steam-entry or GameJolt-page. :)

I think it's perfectly fine to have the game distributed that way :) It would be pretty nice, in fact, to get the word out there about it. The only issue would be the necessity of supporting that form of distribution, since that would take time away from development (and I already upload each version in a few places). But if you or someone else would like to maintain a distribution package for it there, that would be great :)
Andrettin
Wyrmsun Moderator

Postby Imerion » 30 Oct 2015, 03:22

There, Wyrmsun is now on GetDeb and it works great! (Though they did get the name wrong... will try to contact them about that.)
http://www.playdeb.net/game/Wyrmgus

This should give your game more exposure, and give Ubuntu / Debian gamers a quicker way to install it. :)
Imerion

Postby Andrettin » 30 Oct 2015, 09:52

Imerion {l Wrote}:There, Wyrmsun is now on GetDeb and it works great! (Though they did get the name wrong... will try to contact them about that.)
http://www.playdeb.net/game/Wyrmgus

This should give your game more exposure, and give Ubuntu / Debian gamers a quicker way to install it. :)

Thank you! :)

Yes, they are using the name of the modified engine the game uses, instead of the game's name :p
Andrettin
Wyrmsun Moderator

Postby Imerion » 01 Nov 2015, 14:05

Fixed! Name is now right, and Homepage-link goes to your IndieDB page. :)
Imerion

Postby Andrettin » 01 Nov 2015, 19:45

Imerion {l Wrote}:Fixed! Name is now right, and Homepage-link goes to your IndieDB page. :)

Great :)
Andrettin
Wyrmsun Moderator

Postby Taknamay » 03 Nov 2015, 11:58

I love your game! :)

I have two unrelated questions:

Any near-future plans to add naval units?

Do you plan to replace the few assets that do not have a free license? If not, then I may find some time to make optional replacements, otherwise I'm worried about its status for inclusion on LibreGameWiki.
Check out the #freegaming tag on fediverse.
Taknamay

Postby Andrettin » 03 Nov 2015, 15:05

Taknamay {l Wrote}:I love your game! :)

Thank you! :)

I have two unrelated questions:

Any near-future plans to add naval units?

Yes (depending on how you define near-future :p) - the plan is to add two ships for each of the two civilizations; one transport ship (from which ranged units can fire) and one heavier attack ship.

Do you plan to replace the few assets that do not have a free license? If not, then I may find some time to make optional replacements, otherwise I'm worried about its status for inclusion on LibreGameWiki.

The few non-free assets (some encyclopedia backgrounds) are only a part of the game's Steam version, so I think that wouldn't be a problem. They already have a libre replacement, which is this background:
https://github.com/Andrettin/Wyrmsun/bl ... warves.png

The game checks whether the other backgrounds are available or not, and if they aren't, the game then uses the libre replacement background.

The game's GitHub repositories are 100% libre.
Andrettin
Wyrmsun Moderator

Postby Andrettin » 11 Nov 2015, 23:53

Version 1.6.0 is out :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- 1.6.0 Changelog
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

* Buildings
- Reduced the cost of the copper and silver mines.

* Factions
- Added a new Germanic faction, the Volsung Tribe.
- Factions can now be chosen in-game.
- Factions can now have unit types of their own which replace or supplement their civilization's unit types.
- Factions can now have a parent faction (from which they inherit units).
- Set the Suebi Tribe as the parent faction of the Buri Tribe, Marcomanni Tribe, Quadi Tribe, Semnone Tribe and Galicia.
- Factions now have faction-specific bonuses.
- Added a new Dwarven faction, Joruvellir (polity).
- Added the Bavarian Tribe to the encyclopedia faction entries.

* Grand Strategy
- Fixed issue which caused labor to not be allocated after loading a saved game.

* Units
- Added a faction-specific version of the Krieger for the Suebi Tribe.
- Added graphics for a Suebi shield, used by their Krieger after Iron Shield has been researched (graphics by Jinn).
Andrettin
Wyrmsun Moderator

Postby Taknamay » 14 Nov 2015, 02:25

Andrettin {l Wrote}:The few non-free assets (some encyclopedia backgrounds) are only a part of the game's Steam version, so I think that wouldn't be a problem. They already have a libre replacement, which is this background:
https://github.com/Andrettin/Wyrmsun/bl ... warves.png

The game checks whether the other backgrounds are available or not, and if they aren't, the game then uses the libre replacement background.

The game's GitHub repositories are 100% libre.

I am glad to hear that I am mistaken! :)
Check out the #freegaming tag on fediverse.
Taknamay

Postby charlie » 15 Nov 2015, 01:01

I posted about Wyrmsun on Free Gamer :D thought you'd like to know:

http://freegamer.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11 ... retux.html
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Andrettin » 15 Nov 2015, 11:54

charlie {l Wrote}:I posted about Wyrmsun on Free Gamer :D thought you'd like to know:

http://freegamer.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11 ... retux.html

That's great, thanks! :)
Andrettin
Wyrmsun Moderator

Postby enz » 17 Nov 2015, 10:40

haha, you managed to use 3 different misspellings of Wyrmsun in the blog post.
enz

Postby charlie » 17 Nov 2015, 13:32

ROFL well done me. I've corrected them but unfortunately the URL can't be edited so that'll remain wrong, but post title and post content is now right at least.

:D
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby enz » 17 Nov 2015, 14:38

There is still a spelling error in the tag.
enz

Postby charlie » 17 Nov 2015, 16:48

Fixed! Now I really know how to spell Wyrsum Wyrmsum Wyrsun Wyrmsun.
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Andrettin » 18 Nov 2015, 12:40

Patch 1.7.0 is now out, bringing faction rulers to the grand strategy mode!

http://steamcommunity.com/games/370070/ ... 0941280858

Faction rulers give a bonus to administrative efficiency (which affects resource and research production).

Andrettin
Wyrmsun Moderator

Postby Andrettin » 22 Nov 2015, 19:10

Patch 1.7.1 is out with a couple of bugfixes :)
Andrettin
Wyrmsun Moderator

Postby Andrettin » 06 Dec 2015, 13:28

Something I'm working on for Wyrmsun. Besides the usual persistent heroes, the player will be able to create persistent custom heroes for use in quest scenarios. Here's a screenshot of the custom hero creation interface:

Andrettin
Wyrmsun Moderator

Postby Imerion » 09 Dec 2015, 02:20

That sounds like a really fun feature! Would love to use my own customized hero in a multiplayer battle! :)
Imerion

Postby Andrettin » 10 Dec 2015, 22:22

Imerion {l Wrote}:That sounds like a really fun feature! Would love to use my own customized hero in a multiplayer battle! :)

I've been having a lot of fun testing it :) About multiplayer, unfortunately that's the one mode in which the custom heroes aren't available (because it would be very easy to "cheat" by editing the hero's saved stats beforehand).
Andrettin
Wyrmsun Moderator

Postby Andrettin » 10 Dec 2015, 22:23

Along with the custom heroes, an inventory system is soon to come to Wyrmsun :) In the next patch, inventories will be made available for all persistent heroes (including custom ones), as well as regular Stonelords and Gryphon Riders. Heroes will now be able to carry healing potions with them - as well as equippable items. When AI units die, they will now have a chance to drop items like weapons and shields, which when equipped provide your hero with a bonus (replacing the bonus given by the equivalent technology upgrade).

Below is a screenshot of the custom hero Virfir with his unique throwing axe, Toporik:

Andrettin
Wyrmsun Moderator