Music tracks that I composed

Re: Music tracks that I composed - Preparing for Update 3

Postby capricom45 » 12 Jul 2015, 09:39

After listening to the 2nd update I noticed something: The Alto Saxophone was singing one phrase, so I reworked the track and got this:

Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5a0TY ... sp=sharing
OneDrive: http://1drv.ms/1JbW1E2
Socially banned since 2014, a somewhat sleepy musician
capricom45

Re: Music tracks that I composed - Update No. 3 preview

Postby capricom45 » 12 Jul 2015, 21:50

the title of the post suggests everything: Update 3 is ready

Here's the preview for it:

OneDrive: http://1drv.ms/1Cz1CXS

the changelog will be pushed soon

- Enjoy :)
capricom45

Re: Music tracks that I composed - Track Update No. 3

Postby capricom45 » 14 Jul 2015, 01:06

Update 3 is ready

OneDrive: http://1drv.ms/1gxPzjY

I withheld this music track update for a reason.

The main difference between updates 2 and 3 is that now, internal track 5 has a melody instead of playing the same phrase over and over again (looping would be easier with update 2)
capricom45

Re: Music tracks that I composed - Track Update No.3 - rev1

Postby capricom45 » 15 Jul 2015, 00:05

Thanks to feedback from Auria, I'm updating the track once again:

OneDrive: http://1drv.ms/1gACkic

changed: percussion track was removed (If you heard clicks in the song, that was the percussion track)
capricom45

Re: Music tracks that I composed - Track Update 4

Postby capricom45 » 16 Jul 2015, 17:39

I re recorded each instrument, and mixed them in Ardour 4.1, this is an attempt to correct some issues in update 3.

[s]OneDrive: http://1drv.ms/1I5UdSd

Track Name: Surprise Upgrade

Edit: Since I'm running into a constant brick wall, I will no longer announce any tracks.

new tracks will appear here: http://is.gd/AAy1v9

Sorry if this upsets someone

-capricom45
Last edited by capricom45 on 18 Jul 2015, 20:30, edited 2 times in total.
capricom45

Re: Music tracks that I composed

Postby ArDanWol » 18 Jul 2015, 02:05

Wow... Best track yet!
I'm know pretty much everywhere else on the internet as "Kpenguin"
"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user - Murphy's 31st law of software
Each computer code has five bugs, regardless of how many bugs have been already found - Murphy's 50th law of software
"That's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!"
ArDanWol

Re: Music tracks that I composed - Brick Wall?

Postby capricom45 » 19 Jul 2015, 05:07

Unfortunately I am running into a brick wall when it comes to feedback from the STK community regarding the current track I composed.
This means 2 things: 1. Either I'm horrible at composing music, or 0zone's work is superior to mine
or 2. the community just ignores my work but praises other works.

I apologise for the wording of this post, but this is just what I feel at the moment.

I'm currently in a crossroads with this question hovering over my head: Should I stay in the community and continue to compose tracks, or should I leave this community in search for a different one?
Am I really a second-rate musician?
capricom45

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 19 Jul 2015, 07:55

Hi.

It's not the case to quit. Just have in mind the game style and try to compose a song for a specific track instead start composing some song to add it to any track. Your focus must be a striking melody, not just notes ;). Anyway, I see you with goodwill to collaborate, but you are being cursory, you are hurrying to show a result. You are always show us a base (chords played by keyboard accompanied by bass and drums) with some notes over it instead a striking melody, that's the main goal, but If nobody comments, you start composing another one following the same steps instead starting another one in a different way, based on the musical style of the chosen track. IMO, you could chose a track with an old and an expressionless song, play it many times with muted sound and think about what kind of melody fits the track's style, but be patient and post your new project when you find a striking melody.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby capricom45 » 19 Jul 2015, 14:27

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:Hi.

It's not the case to quit. Just have in mind the game style and try to compose a song for a specific track instead start composing some song to add it to any track. Your focus must be a striking melody, not just notes ;). Anyway, I see you with goodwill to collaborate, but you are being cursory, you are hurrying to show a result. You are always show us a base (chords played by keyboard accompanied by bass and drums) with some notes over it instead a striking melody, that's the main goal, but If nobody comments, you start composing another one following the same steps instead starting another one in a different way, based on the musical style of the chosen track. IMO, you could chose a track with an old and an expressionless song, play it many times with muted sound and think about what kind of melody fits the track's style, but be patient and post your new project if you find a striking melody.

What are you suggesting? that I should stop and wait? or remix the kart_grand_prix song - in my opinion it is a bit expressionless ?
I changed the "when you find a striking melody" to "if you find a striking melody" because sometimes I just can't find a melody
capricom45

Postby ArDanWol » 19 Jul 2015, 14:49

I agree with GeekPenguin. I like the music you compose, but I find it hard to associate it with a particular track. I like your idea for remixing/creating a new "Kart Grand Prix" track. I agree with you in that it's rather expressionless and generic.
"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user - Murphy's 31st law of software
Each computer code has five bugs, regardless of how many bugs have been already found - Murphy's 50th law of software
ArDanWol

Postby capricom45 » 19 Jul 2015, 15:07

I hear a guitar, a very quiet bass, and some drums in kart_grand_prix.
Which instrument should I follow: the drums or the guitar?

Edit: I'm asking this question because if I should remix the song, I need to know what instrument to follow.
Also, I discovered something a bit annoying: there's a 20 BPM difference between my recordings (I record at 100 BPM) and the official soundtrack (which is 120 BPM). how should I deal with this?

Speed up the recording tempo, or slow the soundtrack and work from there?
capricom45

Postby capricom45 » 19 Jul 2015, 22:54

@GeekPenguinBR What do you mean by "striking melody"?
as for being cursory? That's mostly just who I am: I do something quickly, after a while I come back and redo it.
capricom45

Postby ArDanWol » 19 Jul 2015, 23:46

capricom45 {l Wrote}:I hear a guitar, a very quiet bass, and some drums in kart_grand_prix.

Edit: I'm asking this question because if I should remix the song, I need to know what instrument to follow.
Also, I discovered something a bit annoying: there's a 20 BPM difference between my recordings (I record at 100 BPM) and the official soundtrack (which is 120 BPM). how should I deal with this?

I would follow the drums if I was you. I would also speed up your recording speed. Up-tempo music is always better in a fast-paced action game. :)
ArDanWol

Postby capricom45 » 20 Jul 2015, 00:21

ArDanWol {l Wrote}:
capricom45 {l Wrote}:I hear a guitar, a very quiet bass, and some drums in kart_grand_prix.

I would follow the drums if I was you. I would also speed up your recording speed. Up-tempo music is always better in a fast-paced action game. :)

Follow the drums? OK
What instruments should I use?

by the way, certain instruments have a unique sound when the tempo is 100 BPM and the speed dial is set to 'double'
capricom45

Postby capricom45 » 20 Jul 2015, 01:29

sorry for the double post.

There's a remix of one of my older tracks (I took them down) in the pipes very soon. Lead instrument: synthesizer.
capricom45

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 20 Jul 2015, 02:09

capricom45 {l Wrote}:@GeekPenguinBR What do you mean by "striking melody"?

A clear and maybe strong (I mean a powerful melody) that makes people sing along.

capricom45 {l Wrote}:as for being cursory? That's mostly just who I am: I do something quickly, after a while I come back and redo it.

Me too, but wait to post until you be sure that you have a good melody which the gamers will have the wish to sing and sing again. :)

I'm not sure, but you could try something for "Oliver's Math Class". Even if samuncle is remaking the track, it remains indoor and, probably a funny environment. So, a new funny song may fit the track.
Last edited by GeekPenguinBR on 20 Jul 2015, 02:14, edited 1 time in total.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby capricom45 » 20 Jul 2015, 02:13

@GeekPenguinBR, Oh?
Something like:

youtu.be/Jgc53oLYuLw <--This?

But in STK's style?
capricom45

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 20 Jul 2015, 02:18

capricom45 {l Wrote}:@GeekPenguinBR, Oh?
Something like: ....<--This?
But in STK's style?

No, man! :shock: This is good, but the sound reminds me Led Zeppellin (The Ocean). I don't think that Jimmy Page's characteristic fits the STK style (and I'm a big fan of Jimmy!). ;)
GeekPenguinBR

Postby capricom45 » 20 Jul 2015, 02:20

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:
capricom45 {l Wrote}:@GeekPenguinBR, Oh?
Something like: ....<--This?
But in STK's style?

No, man! :shock: This is good, but the sound reminds me Led Zeppellin (The Ocean). I don't think that Jimmy Page's characteristic playing fits the STK style (and I'm a big fan of Jimmy!). ;)

Ok, I'll see what I can do.

forgot to mention, that's a Crush 40 song

Edit: @GeekPenguinBR Hope that didn't shock you too much
capricom45

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 20 Jul 2015, 02:36

capricom45 {l Wrote}:forgot to mention, that's a Crush 40 song

I know, but it's so "aggressive" that I can even imagine John Bonham playing (spanking) the drum and Robert Plant shaking his long hair holding the microphone while Page is playing the solo. :lol:

Definitivelly I like, but this doesn't fits the gamestyle. ;)
GeekPenguinBR

Postby capricom45 » 20 Jul 2015, 02:41

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:
capricom45 {l Wrote}:forgot to mention, that's a Crush 40 song

I know, but it's so "aggressive" that I can even imagine John Bonham playing (spanking) the drum and Robert Plant shaking his long hair holding the microphone while Page is playing the solo. :lol:

Definitivelly I like, but this doesn't fits the gamestyle. ;)

Understood, oh and check your email
capricom45

Postby 0zone0ne » 20 Jul 2015, 02:57

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:I'm not sure, but you could try something for "Oliver's Math Class". Even if samuncle is remaking the track, it remains indoor and, probably a funny environment. So, a new funny song may fit the track.
Lots of progress has already been made on new music for this track, although it has not been posted on the forum yet.

Tracks that I think need new music that are not already being worked on are: Hacienda, Minigolf, Shifting Sands (we have a draft for this one but it's not the best), Shiny Suburbs, and the race over fanfare and results music. Green Valley, Zen Garden and STK Enterprise have good music already but they do not quite fit the style, so these would be a lot more difficult.

@capricom45
To answer to the email you sent me (sorry for taking so long): I do mixing in either GarageBand or Logic Pro X depending on which one I used to create the rest of the music. I apply some processing in Audacity such as adding harmonics, limiting and dynamic compression. I use Audio-Technica ATH-M50x headphones
Last edited by 0zone0ne on 20 Jul 2015, 03:06, edited 1 time in total.
0zone0ne

Postby capricom45 » 20 Jul 2015, 03:02

Is minigolf a crazy track?
capricom45

Postby 0zone0ne » 20 Jul 2015, 03:08

Yes. Goofy/crazy music would fit pretty well I think (but don't overdo it)

While you posted that, I edited my last post, so you might want to read the last part
0zone0ne

Postby capricom45 » 20 Jul 2015, 03:12

0zone0ne {l Wrote}:Yes.

While you posted that I edited my last post, you might want to read the last part

I saw that just now.

the newest track was done with 2 programs. screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/b5WJaKG.png

on the right is AIR Music Technology Ignite (came with my midi controller - runs on Wine) on the left is Ardour 4.1 - had to build it myself because no package exists for openSUSE)
capricom45