New Kind of License Empowers Minorities

New Kind of License Empowers Minorities

Postby Nikita_Sadkov » 12 Jul 2015, 10:39

Non-White-Heterosexual-Male License

If you are not a white heterosexual male you are permitted to copy, sell and use this work in any manner you choose without need to include any attribution you do not see fit. You are asked as a courtesy to retain this license in any derivatives but you are not required. If you are a white heterosexual male you are provided the same permissions (reuse, modification, resale) but are required to include this license in any documentation and any public facing derivative. You are also required to include attribution to the original author or to an author responsible for redistribution of a derivative.

http://nonwhiteheterosexualmalelicense.org/
Nikita_Sadkov

Re: New Kind of License Empowers Minorities

Postby Evropi » 12 Jul 2015, 10:47

Not sure if serious.

But if it is, I just facepalmed really hard.

EDIT: after a bit of googling, wow, it's actually real. There are at least 1, 2 serious projects that actually use it. Both of which are ironically by white men.
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Postby Akien » 12 Jul 2015, 11:23

Empowers minorities? Yet another nonfree license, yay!

I guess that's about as useful as the Waqf GPL: http://ojuba.org/wiki/waqf/license
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby Nikita_Sadkov » 12 Jul 2015, 12:38

Akien {l Wrote}:Waqf GPL: http://ojuba.org/wiki/waqf/license

I'm surprised it is not a joke.

My personal favorite is WTFPL: http://www.wtfpl.net/txt/copying/
Nikita_Sadkov

Postby Julius » 12 Jul 2015, 13:12

Moving this to the somewhat correct forum. But honestly I don't see the point in this topic, especially since it is borderline trolling.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby onpon4 » 12 Jul 2015, 13:35

Yeah, this kind of bullshit where discrimination is used to supposedly fight discrimination. Hypocrisy at its finest. I'm not surprised at all that it's serious, though; modern feminists do stuff like this quite often (like gender quotas in certain countries which are probably forcing companies to hire less qualified women in favor of more qualified men).

Also, women aren't a minority. The population of men and women is about equal, and actually there are slightly more women last time I checked.

It seems to me that, if this becomes a problem (i.e. any program you want to use falls under this license), this is the solution (don't take this as legal advice, as I am not a lawyer): Have someone who definitely can't be called a "white heterosexual male" strip the program of this absurd license and republish the program under the GNU GPL (or even a permissive license like the Apache License), since the license permits this.

To be clear, I think the only people who are unambiguously not "white heterosexual males" are people who were born unambiguously female and are still unambiguously female. So I would highly discourage doing this if you're a man, or trans-gendered, or have ever undergone surgery or taken hormones to change your biological sex, at least without consulting a lawyer. "White" and "heterosexual" (especially "white") are both extremely vague; different people can have completely different interpretations on these two.

This woman doesn't even need to be a programmer necessarily; she can just change the license and give the program to an actual programmer.
onpon4