[Solved] OpenSuse 11.3- Startup error

[Solved] OpenSuse 11.3- Startup error

Postby Teh Matt » 25 Sep 2010, 20:08

Hi, I've been trying to compile the STK 0.7a3 release on my OpenSUSE 11.3 box unsuccessfully. ./configure and make work well, but running the executable fails with this message:
symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libIrrlicht.so.1.7: undefined symbol: XF86VidModeQueryExtension

To quote HIker:
"Insane: I suspect that you don't have libXf86vm installed, which is apparently necessary on your system. But this should actually be detected by our configure. Could you perhaps post your config.log file in our forum."

It was not detected by the configure, configure gave me no errors after installing a few devel packages, and there were no errors during my compilation. Following his advice, I attempted to install libxf86vm and the devel version of this package, only to find that it doesn't exist in my package manager. A quick google search brought up no results for a downloadable RPM, and I started to think.

I have STK .6.x running perfectly fine, so this seems like a strange problem to have when running the executable. I could understand if it occurred during compilation, but this is a funny time for it. Has a new dependency on LibXF86vm been added for .7?

Thanks in advance for the help. Maybe I found a bug for you to squash. :?

THE SOLUTION:
1) OpenSUSE has bad Irrlicht packages. Compiling from source is recommended. Make sure not to use the trunk version, but rather the last released.
2) Make install of Irrlicht didn't work for me, it failed with strange errors. Manually moving libIrrlicht.a to /usr/local/lib and the include/ folder to /usr/local/include works fine. If these two paths don't work, try /usr/lib and /usr/include.
3) When running ./configure, this is the way to go: (While the flags may not be necessary, I didn't get one of my original errors while using them)
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
./configure LDFLAGS="-lXxf86vm" --enable-optimizations

4) Assuming everything so far has worked correctly, run:
NDEBUG=1 make

Hopefully you are all set now! Good luck to anyone who encounters my problem.
Last edited by Teh Matt on 28 Sep 2010, 01:04, edited 3 times in total.
Teh Matt

Re: OpenSuse 11.3- Startup error

Postby Auria » 25 Sep 2010, 21:24

Hi,

according to http://code.google.com/p/irrlamb/issues/detail?id=13#c5 , OpenSuse contains bogus irrlicht packages :(
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Teh Matt » 25 Sep 2010, 21:52

Ah, thank you. Compiling now. *Crosses fingers*

Edit:
Grrr... of course it won't work properly...
Time to search for a fix in an Irrlicht forum :x

If anyone has any ideas, they'd be quite welcome. I am a noob at compiling from source, but am willing to try/learn.
suse-linux:/home/matt/trunk/source/Irrlicht # make install
rm -f -r /usr/local/lib/../include/irrlicht
mkdir -p /usr/local/lib/../include/irrlicht
cp ../../include/*.h /usr/local/lib/../include/irrlicht/
cp ../../lib/Linux/libIrrlicht.so.1.7.0-SVN /usr/local/lib
cp: cannot stat `../../lib/Linux/libIrrlicht.so.1.7.0-SVN': No such file or directory
make: *** [install] Error 1
Teh Matt

Postby Auria » 26 Sep 2010, 00:02

Try doing a plain "make" before "make install". It's true that quite often projects only require "make install" but it seems it is not the case for irrlicht
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Teh Matt » 26 Sep 2010, 03:09

One step ahead of you :p
Sorry for not posting my exact steps, from my experience the process of compilation is 1) configure if applicable 2)make 3)make install.
Make on its own brings up the error
checking irrlicht.h usability... yes
checking irrlicht.h presence... yes
checking for irrlicht.h... yes
checking for irrlicht libraries...
configure: error: Can't build test irrLicht program. Check config.log to see the errors

while running ./configure in STK.
Make install fails as seen above. I'm heading to bed now, hopefully I can figure this out in the morning.

Is there a place where STK looks for Irrlicht to be? And is it set in a certain file? Perhaps I can change that to the directory I compiled Irrlicht into.

Thanks for all the help.
Teh Matt

Postby xapantu » 26 Sep 2010, 08:57

Teh Matt {l Wrote}:Ah, thank you. Compiling now. *Crosses fingers*

Edit:
Grrr... of course it won't work properly...
Time to search for a fix in an Irrlicht forum :x

If anyone has any ideas, they'd be quite welcome. I am a noob at compiling from source, but am willing to try/learn.
suse-linux:/home/matt/trunk/source/Irrlicht # make install
rm -f -r /usr/local/lib/../include/irrlicht
mkdir -p /usr/local/lib/../include/irrlicht
cp ../../include/*.h /usr/local/lib/../include/irrlicht/
cp ../../lib/Linux/libIrrlicht.so.1.7.0-SVN /usr/local/lib
cp: cannot stat `../../lib/Linux/libIrrlicht.so.1.7.0-SVN': No such file or directory
make: *** [install] Error 1

Try to put manualy ../../lib/Linux/libIrrlicht.a (or something like this) in /usr/local/lib/, I don't know why but make install doesn't work here neither (ubuntu 10.04 64).
xapantu

Postby Crendgrim » 26 Sep 2010, 09:57

I had the same problem you mentioned above: http://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?p=6277#p6277
Then I did what hiker said:
./configure LDFLAGS="-lXxf86vm"
make
sudo make install

and all works as it should do ... :)
(I'm using the pre-compiled version 0.7.1 of libIrrlicht from the Packman-Repository)

Crendgrim
Crendgrim

Postby Teh Matt » 26 Sep 2010, 12:27

Try to put manualy ../../lib/Linux/libIrrlicht.a (or something like this) in /usr/local/lib/, I don't know why but make install doesn't work here neither (ubuntu 10.04 64).

Does not work :(. I get the same error as before when running ./configure.

Crendgrim, I attempted to try what you did so I reinstalled the Packman-repo version. It still gives me the same error, even though it was working earlier. Perhaps I broke something.
Teh Matt

Postby Auria » 26 Sep 2010, 16:59

Try posting the config.log file here, this can help us tell what went wrong
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Teh Matt » 26 Sep 2010, 17:43

Here is the config.log.
config.log
(34.85 KiB) Downloaded 282 times

It looks to me like libIrrlicht can't be found. I'm not sure what the cursor nonsense is, the location it refers to is nonexistent.
Teh Matt

Postby Auria » 26 Sep 2010, 18:07

hmm, maybe try :

export LDFLAGS="-lXcursor"
./configure

Does it help?
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Teh Matt » 26 Sep 2010, 20:32

The log is exactly the same and it still fails at the same place.

In other news, I gave .7a3 a try on an old windows machine. Other than suffering from extremely low FPS and huge delays, it looked good. Slipstreaming presented some problems, mainly that only the AI karts could use it (probably because I just don't know how). The only track that I noticed errors on was the Mine track, in which the ?fog? did not display right and anything more than a few karts lengths away was black. Great work on this release, hopefully I can get it running on this computer so I can truly experience all the hard work you guys have put into it.
Teh Matt

Postby Auria » 26 Sep 2010, 23:54

Oh, the build systems doesn't include the passed flags during the configure tests :(

Joerg, do you have any idea how to correct this?
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby hiker » 27 Sep 2010, 00:35

Hi,

I think you are using the trunk version of irrlicht (i.e. the upcoming 1.8 version), not an 1.7 based version. Irrlicht trunk needs libXCursor, so make sure you have that library installed (e.g. in suse it's part of xorg-x11-devel...). Or disable _IRR_LINUX_XCURSOR_ in include/IrrCompileConfig.h (if you are compiling yourself).

But otherwise I would recommend to use the stable 1.7 branch as indicated in my original posting. Note that our configure actually checks the version number to detect if an irrlicht trunk version is being used, so I suspect that your version is from the trunk before the version number there was changed.

I'll see what we can do to give more precise error messages.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby Teh Matt » 27 Sep 2010, 01:04

I've messed myself up on this point. I compiled Irrlicht from the trunk SVN, but then used the package manager to install a rpm for Irrlicht 1.7.1, so I'm not actually sure which version is being recognized (or even if one is.) I will try disabling the cursors in the source file, because I have already made sure to install libXCursor.

I will report back on my progress.

EDIT: _IRR_LINUX_XCURSOR_ is nowhere to be found. I'm now compiling 1.7.1 to see if the problems are related to trunk.
EDIT TWO: After compiling 1.7.1 rather than trunk, ./configure works again! STK is making right now, so I'll see whether this worked in a few minutes.
EDIT THREE: Make was successful, and now STK loads perfectly. I will give it a whirl and see if I can find you any tasty little bugs.

Thanks for all the help getting this to work. It is impressive to see a community this willing to help users out.
Teh Matt

Postby downer » 27 Sep 2010, 02:23

It sounds like you already solved your problem with the svn. I hope you don't have some files left over from the rpm. The rpm for Fedora already had the right symbolic link for "libIrrlicht.so.1.7", and put files in a different place than the svn with "make install".
"...curiosity saved the mouse." -Deceth
downer