SuperTuxKart 0.7 alpha 3 release

SuperTuxKart 0.7 alpha 3 release

Postby hiker » 24 Sep 2010, 12:46

Hi all,

in a bit of a rush we finally managed to get a third alpha release of the upcoming 0.7 release out - we didn't even have time to create a 'new features' list :shock: . You can download binary packages for Windows and Mac from the usual location at http://sourceforge.net/projects/supertuxkart/files/ - just select the SuperTuxKart-alpha folder. The dependencies packages will be updates\d beginning of next week. If you are compiling stk yourself note that it is recommended to use the current "1.7 stable" irrlicht branch, see http://irrlicht.svn.sourceforge.net/vie ... leases/1.7 (which will become the next 1.7.2 release). While STK mostly still works with irrlicht 1.7.1, bugs in this irrlicht version can result in some texts not being displayed, and even in crashes (mostly in menus though).

This version shows very much work in progress, but we are getting closer to a release candidate. Hopefully this will motivate some artists to help us port/create a few more tracks, while we are busy fixing bugs and tuning some settings. Known bugs or issues are:
  • Many challenges and GPs will be unavailable due to not-yet-converted tracks.
  • The 'networking' menu is used to test the win/lose GP and unlocking animations. There is no networking support in 0.7 alpha 3 (nor will there be any in 0.7).
  • Not all tracks have collectibles.
  • AI needs tweaks, it does too good a job with slipstreaming, and on the other hand doesn't handle multiple items good enough.
  • Disabling or enabling sound effects may require to restart STK for the change to apply correctly.
  • Switching to windowed mode from fullscreen may fail on linux.
  • If you build with irrlicht 1.7.1, you may get an empty race paused screen and/or a broken "feature unlocked" screen.
  • If you do not exactly cross the lap line your lap may not be counted.
  • If you add too many AI karts, the race may not start properly.
  • In the kart selection screen, large karts might get clipped on sides.
  • Kart animations not complete.
  • The game may not allow you to configure bindings for gamepads other than the first one.
  • The "slipstream" (follow behind a kart for a while with the slipstream effect showing, and you will get a zipper-like boost) and quick-start feature (press start very quickly _after_ 'GO') need tweaks.

We are looking forward to feedback, bug reports (please check with our bug tracker at http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=202302&atid=981038 first), suggestions (though we are pretty much feature frozen for 0.7), and some contributions :)

Enjoy!
Joerg
hiker

Re: SuperTuxKart 0.7 alpha 3 release

Postby Arthur » 24 Sep 2010, 17:21

Congratulations to everyone for their efforts! :D
We :heart: STK! ;)
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby acme_pjz » 25 Sep 2010, 04:59

Great! A lot of improvements! :D
Some of my open source games on GitHub
acme_pjz

Postby Crendgrim » 25 Sep 2010, 09:13

No lags any more on TuxTollway!
Great. Thanks. :)

Crendgrim
Crendgrim

Postby xapantu » 25 Sep 2010, 09:22

Great :)

The Ubuntu PPA has been updated by Jarvis:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stk/dev
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install supertuxkart
xapantu

Postby Static Juice » 25 Sep 2010, 09:49

Coolage! :cool:
I am downloading it now...
Static Juice

Postby asciimonster » 25 Sep 2010, 15:51

Had a look at it last night. It certainly looks more finished. I haven't found any mayor faults, so that is good. I have been at a loss on how to slipstream without having a horrible crash...

It just goes to show that STK is cool no matter what the graphics engine! :)

We :heart: STK!

There once was a man from Bombay
The goal in his life was to play
"Schooters are nice
I put them on ice
The day that I found STK!"
asciimonster

Postby rudy85 » 25 Sep 2010, 20:57

We have problems with pad drivability :think:
STK 3D animation
My work is under the licence you want
rudy85

Postby Auria » 25 Sep 2010, 21:25

rudy85 {l Wrote}:We have problems with pad drivability :think:

Can you be more specific about the problems? Gamepad support is supposed to be fully funcitonal
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby rudy85 » 25 Sep 2010, 22:56

Yes, sorry.

I 've tried windows test version.
I've used a logitech gamepad. it was recognized by the game.

Problem is acceleration which is unreggular shaky unstable
STK 3D animation
rudy85

Postby rudy85 » 25 Sep 2010, 23:24

We have problem with pursuit(aspiration) won't work on windows
Problem with pad was the same on ubuntu , but after re-launching the game , it work fine :)

I will do other tests on windows ...
STK 3D animation
rudy85

Postby acme_pjz » 26 Sep 2010, 04:58

We have problems with pad drivability

Well, I have to admitted that I have problems with gamepad, too (although I think it's not a serious bug) :| STK can't recognize gamepad key properly in Windows :| For example, left and top are the same key in STK, but not other Windows application ...
Some of my open source games on GitHub
acme_pjz

Postby rudy85 » 26 Sep 2010, 12:27

Test on windows :

It seems after restarting program pads works ;)
But it still have a problem with Inhalation(Pursuit)
See :
'aspiration.png

Icon for the game :
stk-icon.7z
(4.01 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
STK 3D animation
rudy85

Postby rudy85 » 26 Sep 2010, 12:40

Comments about tracks :

Why are you continue to include on the beach track (this track is outdated)
Island track must be larger --> bigger

I think a jump platform must be improved in old mine, here :
Oldmine detail.png

And Icetrack contain as many poly as secretgarden :think:
STK 3D animation
rudy85

Postby Crendgrim » 26 Sep 2010, 12:58

@rudy85:
I don't think there has to be a jump platform. Collecting Nitro shouldn't be too easy - it's a bonus.
So: Drive a sharp bend and you'll be able to drive over the bridge. This shouldn't be a problem.

Crendgrim

EDIT:
I don't really like your suggestion for the game icon. I would prefer the old one...
Crendgrim

Postby Teh Matt » 26 Sep 2010, 16:34

Icon for the game :
I think a jump platform must be improved in old mine, here :

I agree with Crendgrim on both of these points.
Teh Matt

Postby Auria » 26 Sep 2010, 17:04

But it still have a problem with Inhalation(Pursuit)

I believe this has been fixed in SVN now

Why are you continue to include on the beach track (this track is outdated)

Because we do not have nice replacements ;)

Island track must be larger --> bigger

Agreed, but we need a 3D modeller to do it (just scaling it would not look good IMO, it would result in gigantic palm trees and a very long track to drive)

And Icetrack contain as many poly as secretgarden :think:

Well, the polygon count was not the only problem with ice track, it was also long and narrow, with steep parts, I think - garden does not have these issues. But I also agree that garden track will need to be improved
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby asciimonster » 26 Sep 2010, 20:53

I found some little flaws:
  • On the windows version in full-screen, the nitro bar too high. It is off the top of the screen
  • Some textures are missing from Oliver's Mathclass (First left turn on the lap)
  • On the Tollway the stop sign can also be viewed from the back
  • Max players can be set to 20. Most tracks have not enough start positions. Result: they en up in the bushes somewhere, or worse: under the track.
  • Currently I have no idea when the drafting boost is coming. It causes me crash into the kart in front of me. Is it possible to activate the boost earlier and allow the effect to set in slowly?
  • It might be me getting used to the tweaked physics code, but on a descending slope, the grip level is really low.
asciimonster

Postby Auria » 26 Sep 2010, 23:31

Hi,

asciimonster {l Wrote}:I found some little flaws:
  • On the windows version in full-screen, the nitro bar too high. It is off the top of the screen

I have never seen that problem, can you tell us your resolution?

asciimonster {l Wrote}:
  • Some textures are missing from Oliver's Mathclass (First left turn on the lap)

problems with vertex colors were fixed since 0.7a3 was released, this makes oliver's math class look much better

asciimonster {l Wrote}:
  • On the Tollway the stop sign can also be viewed from the back

I'm not sure I understand what is the problem there?

asciimonster {l Wrote}:
  • Max players can be set to 20. Most tracks have not enough start positions. Result: they en up in the bushes somewhere, or worse: under the track.

Yes, this is a known issue and should be fixed by 0.7 final :)

asciimonster {l Wrote}:
  • Currently I have no idea when the drafting boost is coming. It causes me crash into the kart in front of me. Is it possible to activate the boost earlier and allow the effect to set in slowly?
  • It might be me getting used to the tweaked physics code, but on a descending slope, the grip level is really low.

Those are for Joerg so I'll leave them to him :)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby hiker » 26 Sep 2010, 23:58

Hi
Auria {l Wrote}:Hi,
asciimonster {l Wrote}:

Those are for Joerg so I'll leave them to him :)

I have just committed an update to slipstream: once you have accumulated enough 'slipstream credits' (driving with slipstream for atm 2 seconds), you see a little bit of nitro for your kart. Then when you leave slipstream, you will get a boost. This should enable you to overtake the kart ahead of you more controlled.

What specific slopes are you talking of? The very steep ones (canyon)? I don't think it's really the grip, more the suspension pushing the kart too far off the track (and that might not be really visible in the graphics). I will work on that when I update the bullet version, for now it has to stay the way it is (though as always: patch welcome ;) ).

Thanks for the feedback!
Joerg
hiker

Postby hiker » 27 Sep 2010, 03:32

Crendgrim {l Wrote}:I don't think there has to be a jump platform.

I would actually like to see a bit more jumping in STK. From a physics points of view it should work (just add a texture with a zipper property to a ramp, and tune it so that you end in the right place). But it's indeed not necessary :)

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby Static Juice » 27 Sep 2010, 06:23

I found some annoying problems in Alpha 3:

Wilber has difficulty ascending the narrow path in the tunnel in Fort Magma.
In fact, I think some other karts might have difficulty ascending it also.
When I try to drive up the path, his kart always ends up turning around, thus causing me to slip into the lava.

There doesn't seem to be any acceleration in the karts when I start a track.
As soon as I begin the race, my kart goes full speed straight away, causing me to crash into the kart ahead.

I don't particularly like the view in 0.7; it feels too low.
This is especially annoying when descending slopes, for example on the Canyon track.
Static Juice

Postby Crendgrim » 27 Sep 2010, 11:18

hiker {l Wrote}:
Crendgrim {l Wrote}:I don't think there has to be a jump platform.

I would actually like to see a bit more jumping in STK. From a physics points of view it should work (just add a texture with a zipper property to a ramp, and tune it so that you end in the right place). But it's indeed not necessary :)

Cheers,
Joerg

Yes, but I don't think that at the mentioned place should be a platform. This would make getting nitro too easy...

Static Juice {l Wrote}:I found some annoying problems in Alpha 3:

Wilber has difficulty ascending the narrow path in the tunnel in Fort Magma.
In fact, I think some other karts might have difficulty ascending it also.
When I try to drive up the path, his kart always ends up turning around, thus causing me to slip into the lava.

I mentioned this in the Bugtracker: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3075428&group_id=202302&atid=981038 (view comment #2)
It seems not to be exclusively Wilber, but the fourth kart. (The sixth and seventh, btw, always drive against the wall when the track is going down in the castle)

Crendgrim
Crendgrim

Postby Auria » 27 Sep 2010, 16:28

Fort Magma is known to have problems, and I would very much appreciate any help in improving (or replacing) the track
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby hiker » 28 Sep 2010, 00:02

Static Juice {l Wrote}:There doesn't seem to be any acceleration in the karts when I start a track.
As soon as I begin the race, my kart goes full speed straight away, causing me to crash into the kart ahead.

This is the start boost which happens if you start within 0.3 (or so) seconds. And this is one of the things we will tune before a RC, or perhaps even disable it. Later (after 0.7) we want to have some support for pushing karts out of the way, so that might work better then.

I don't particularly like the view in 0.7; it feels too low.
This is especially annoying when descending slopes, for example on the Canyon track.

I have tuned the angle down a bit for the alpha 3 release since with the old angle you would miss a significant amount of scenery (e.g. in math class you can't see much of the walls etc). You can tweak the angle yourself: edit the file data/stk_config.xml and search for the line:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
<camera distance="1.5" up-angle="15"/>

Previously the up-angle was 30 degrees. Try to change this number, and when you have found an angle you like, just post it here and we will have a look.

Note if you are using the SVN version, there will actually be two different angles: one when the camera is facing forwards, one when it is facing backwards.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker