[important] A music for a new next generation track

[important] A music for a new next generation track

Postby samuncle » 13 May 2015, 01:53

Hi everyone :)

Since the release of SuperTuxKart 0.9, we have 2 new next gen track. Cocoa Temple and Gran Paradiso (and several other planned to be included in later release). However after a few weeks there is something kinda sad. None of these track are track unlocked at the beginning of the game.
Often people who try SuperTuxKart see these track at first:
* Math class
* Scotland
* Sand track
* Bovine Barnyard

None of those track are particularly news nor can compete with newer ones. In fact almost all newer are from the 0.7 version (which is pretty old now).

So, I'm currently working on a track that will replace Math class (yes the time has finally arrived).
Currently it's heavy Work in progress, not much to show and sadly it won't be a math class anymore. Here is some general informations

1) It will have a similar layout + a similar running time (around ~25 sec for one lap in expert difficulty).
2) The general idea will remain (you are still inside a room with giant objects etc).
3) Some references to the old one will be kept (like a chalkboard or maybe some books.

However there is strong differences between both
1) The main palette is Pink and violet. It will be a pinkish track yet not girly
2) The second main color is Blue (some touch of blue will be added)
3) The track has a very particular theme and a strong art direction (it's completely different from what we are used to with stk)

Now here is some screenshots
A giant electrical plug
cherry_a.jpg

A flag pole
cherry_b.jpg

The great skybox (when I said it was pinkish :P). A better picture will be added later.
cherry_c.jpg

Now we need a great soundtrack for this new track. As main inspiration you can think of Sugar Rush in the movie Wreck It Ralph.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZTtRfRW94U
And particularly this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvrSC7LpI5w

Something cool and enjoying is needed. Not too technological but also not too zen. The track is cute but it's challenging.
A speed up version for the last lap would be cool. The music should have a running length of approximatively ~1min and will be used in the official gameplay video of the track

As a deadline I would say as soon as possible. I don't like to stress too much people but if we can include this track in the bug fix release that will come in maybe 2 or 3 weeks that would be awesome.

Soon a playable version of the track will be uploaded

Sam
samuncle
STK Moderator

Re: [important] A music for a new next generation track

Postby 0zone0ne » 13 May 2015, 12:45

I will talk to Krobonil and see if we can come up with any ideas. I'm thinking music that feels wondrous and mystical but also comic, with xylophones and lots of mallet instruments, perhaps. We've both been super busy preparing something big for the game recently, this might be a good opportunity to reveal some of that as well. ;)
0zone0ne

Postby XGhost » 13 May 2015, 13:57

Looks beautiful! Nice work so far.
I agree that the very old math class track has to be removed. As long I can find it on the add-ons I'm happy :)
XGhost

Postby woolookologie » 13 May 2015, 14:59

Can I try to make something too? :)
woolookologie

Postby woolookologie » 13 May 2015, 16:11

Hey, well I made something: https://soundcloud.com/woolookologie/su ... ap-version
Any feedback welcome!
Last edited by woolookologie on 13 May 2015, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
woolookologie

Postby WillemS » 13 May 2015, 19:28

woolookologie {l Wrote}:Can I try to make something too? :)

(... only 1:12 hour later...)

woolookologie {l Wrote}:Hey, well I made something: https://soundcloud.com/woolookologie/stk-wip
Any feedback welcome!

That is quick :o And it is a very cool track! :D Some remarks (from someone who doesn't know that much about music, so take it with a grain of salt ;) ):

• To my ears, the progression from the first part to the second part (0:13-0:14) sounds a bit weird... I cannot really say what the cause is, maybe it's just me...
  • The track doesn't loop completely correctly at the moment.
  • On Soundcloud the track is marked as CC-BY-NC-SA. Non-commercial-only licenses are not allowed in SuperTuxKart as far as I know, so you would have to give permission to relicense it under CC-BY-SA or similar.
WillemS

Postby konstin » 13 May 2015, 19:39

> On Soundcloud the track is marked as CC-BY-NC-SA. Non-commercial-only licenses are not allowed in SuperTuxKart as far as I know, so you would have to give permission to relicense it under CC-BY-SA or similar.

STK does not have a problem with NC-licenses afaik, but rather distributions such as debian don't accept them.

But I have to agree the track is cool!
konstin

Postby Akien » 13 May 2015, 19:42

konstin {l Wrote}:STK does not have a problem with NC-licenses afaik, but rather distributions such as debian don't accept them.

Most distributions with a licensing policy consider that NC is nonfree. ND is even worse, then it's plain freeware :)
Edit: I mean "worse" regarding the "free"-ness of the assets. I don't mean to say that one should not use NC or ND if it's deemed useful by the artist. But in free software projects, it's indeed annoying to have assets that you can't redistribute as you want.
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby woolookologie » 13 May 2015, 20:15

WillemS {l Wrote}:
woolookologie {l Wrote}:Can I try to make something too? :)

(... only 1:12 hour later...)

woolookologie {l Wrote}:Hey, well I made something: https://soundcloud.com/woolookologie/su ... ap-version
Any feedback welcome!

That is quick :o And it is a very cool track! :D

Haha, yes, if I have an nice idea I can be very fast. ^^
WillemS {l Wrote}:Some remarks (from someone who doesn't know that much about music, so take it with a grain of salt ;) ):

• To my ears, the progression from the first part to the second part (0:13-0:14) sounds a bit weird... I cannot really say what the cause is, maybe it's just me...
  • The track doesn't loop completely correctly at the moment.
  • On Soundcloud the track is marked as CC-BY-NC-SA. Non-commercial-only licenses are not allowed in SuperTuxKart as far as I know, so you would have to give permission to relicense it under CC-BY-SA or similar.

Thanks! About the progression I don't really know what you mean... I changed the track to CC-SA to avoid any trouble :)

I just made a new version including an last lap version:
https://soundcloud.com/woolookologie/su ... ap-version
I call the track "Cherry Rush" because the name of the pictures is "cherry". And since it's inspired by this Candy Rush music linked by samuncle I called it so.
Please note this track is only for demo and can NOT loop so far. But I will change that!

Greetings :)
woolookologie

Postby Akien » 13 May 2015, 20:43

woolookologie {l Wrote}:Thanks! About the progression I don't really know what you mean... I changed the track to CC-SA to avoid any trouble :)

You can keep "BY" which ensures that credit will be given to you (so CC BY-SA); when you do work for free, it's good at least to be acknowledged for your work ;)
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby woolookologie » 13 May 2015, 20:49

Akien {l Wrote}:
woolookologie {l Wrote}:Thanks! About the progression I don't really know what you mean... I changed the track to CC-SA to avoid any trouble :)

You can keep "BY" which ensures that credit will be given to you (so CC BY-SA); when you do work for free, it's good at least to be acknowledged for your work ;)

It is already BY, if you upload something on SoundCloud under CC you have at least to choose BY, then you can add ND, NC and SA. :)
woolookologie

Postby charlie » 13 May 2015, 23:20

Nice tune! Got to be a keeper. :cool:
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby ArDanWol » 14 May 2015, 00:11

Sad to see the math class go, but the new track looks cool. :cool: I assume math class will still be available on the add-ons site? Good work everyone! :)
I'm know pretty much everywhere else on the internet as "Kpenguin"
"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user - Murphy's 31st law of software
Each computer code has five bugs, regardless of how many bugs have been already found - Murphy's 50th law of software
"That's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!"
ArDanWol

Postby samuncle » 14 May 2015, 23:10

0zone0ne {l Wrote}:I will talk to Krobonil and see if we can come up with any ideas. I'm thinking music that feels wondrous and mystical but also comic, with xylophones and lots of mallet instruments, perhaps. We've both been super busy preparing something big for the game recently, this might be a good opportunity to reveal some of that as well. ;)

You are preparing a secret project for SuperTuxKart ? that might be cool now I want to know more ^^. I can't wait
(btw if you want to write to the manager of the project (hiker, auria and myself) about your secret project so you can get feed back you are welcome (and we will keep it secret).
woolookologie {l Wrote}:Hey, well I made something: https://soundcloud.com/woolookologie/su ... ap-version
Any feedback welcome!

Sure it's welcome and from what I heard your soundtrack is nice :). You should wait for better feedback by our top musician (krobonil and Ozone0ne). But so far the music is interesting. I especially like the part just after 14 second. Maybe you could collaborate.

Akien {l Wrote}:
konstin {l Wrote}:STK does not have a problem with NC-licenses afaik, but rather distributions such as debian don't accept them.

Most distributions with a licensing policy consider that NC is nonfree. ND is even worse, then it's plain freeware :)
Edit: I mean "worse" regarding the "free"-ness of the assets. I don't mean to say that one should not use NC or ND if it's deemed useful by the artist. But in free software projects, it's indeed annoying to have assets that you can't redistribute as you want.

Some precision. Currently only tracks in the gift package (you can get them by making a donation) are "non free". This is temporary and reserved for track we give as a gift to donators. Once for instance abyss will be included as a regular track the license will be changed.
So if the track/art/etc must be included in the core game available for everybody we must respect debian guideline and NC isn't allowed.
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby samuncle » 22 May 2015, 08:04

Krobonil {l Wrote}:
Any feedback welcome!

Hi woolookologie
You're definitely an ambient-composer. Sounds smooth and like you're describing a wide reaching range :)
It's easy to "dream away"

Ideal for a landscape or a large space
Now, this track has walls around it :think: :?

The rhythm of Sugar-Rush and the math-class sound are in some points common.
The beats are placed close and they define pretty exactly where the driver is. They say somehow: You're here! In candy-land for ex...
I think if you could add more defining points to your piece it could turn out stronger and more meaningfuller :)
-> Versuch das Ganze aussagekräftiger zu machen ;)

woolookologie maybe your music could be used in another next gen track with a large landscape in a fairy forest (it's still a WIP track but we need a music for this one).
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby woolookologie » 22 May 2015, 21:43

Krobonil {l Wrote}:
Any feedback welcome!

Hi woolookologie
You're definitely an ambient-composer. Sounds smooth and like you're describing a wide reaching range :)
It's easy to "dream away"

Ideal for a landscape or a large space
Now, this track has walls around it :think: :?

The rhythm of Sugar-Rush and the math-class sound are in some points common.
The beats are placed close and they define pretty exactly where the driver is. They say somehow: You're here! In candy-land for ex...
I think if you could add more defining points to your piece it could turn out stronger and more meaningfuller :)
-> Versuch das Ganze aussagekräftiger zu machen ;)

Hey there, first thanks for the feedback!
So I treid exactly that, it just seems like it didn't work so good ^^
You have to know my regular music is muuuch more dreamy, mostly very emotional and has more time to evolve.
I think I can't do it really better...

samuncle {l Wrote}:woolookologie maybe your music could be used in another next gen track with a large landscape in a fairy forest (it's still a WIP track but we need a music for this one).

Really? Do you think the song fits for that theme? Ofc it would be great, no question! :)
On Monday I can give you the seamless loop.
woolookologie

Postby woolookologie » 26 May 2015, 08:59

Hey all,
So here it is, one day later as I said ^^
Regular Lap Last Lap
I hope it's useful in some way :)
Wooloo
woolookologie

Postby QwertyChouskie » 15 Dec 2018, 20:31

Does this track exist anywhere anymore? I know OMC got a revamp for 0.9.1 but it'd be cool to at least have this in the addons if nothing else.
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie