SuperTuxKart 0.9 Released

SuperTuxKart 0.9 Released

Postby Auria » 21 Apr 2015, 02:24

Read all details on the blog here : http://supertuxkart.blogspot.ca/2015/04 ... eased.html

It has been a rather long time since our last official release - nearly one and a half year. But we have not been idle during this, actually more the opposite. The 0.9 release contains some significant changes - especially (though not only) visual changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FEwDH7XU9Q

Highlights of the 0.9 release:
  • Fully shader-based rendering engine
  • New tracks Cocoa Temple and Gran Paradiso
  • Graphical improvements to many other tracks
  • New karts Amanda, Gavroche, Sara (as wizard and racer)
  • Improved karts tux, adiumy, Suzanne and Xue.
  • Online login which allows to:
    • connect with friends and see when they are playing
    • vote for addons
    • collect online achievements
  • Different kart physics
  • In-game Grand Prix editor
  • Random Grand Prix generation
  • Achievement system

We hope you enjoy this release of SuperTuxKart. As always, we welcome feedback

Your SuperTuxKart Team
Auria
STK Moderator

Re: SuperTuxKart 0.9 Released

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 21 Apr 2015, 02:35

Good! I'm downloading right now. :)

By the way: is there a trick to unlock the challenges? I don't know why, but I found very dificult to win in two tracks (Hacienda and Sub Sea) this time. :shock:
GeekPenguinBR

Postby Anon » 21 Apr 2015, 03:08

Sweet! Congratulations to all the dev's!

@GeekPengiunBR: On linux, the story mode progress is stored in an .xml file in ~/.config/supertuxkart/<version number>. I'm not sure where it is on windows, but I think there was either a forum thread or github issue that mentioned it and that you could try searching for.
Anon

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 21 Apr 2015, 03:15

Anon {l Wrote}:Sweet! Congratulations to all the dev's!

@GeekPengiunBR: On linux, the story mode progress is stored in an .xml file in ~/.config/supertuxkart/<version number>. I'm not sure where it is on windows, but I think there was either a forum thread or github issue that mentioned it and that you could try searching for.

Thank you, Anon. I have played STK since the 0.6, but I never experienced these kind of data stored on Windows. So, I should play over again. I will wait for some information about STK on windows. I hope someone knows a way to keep the tracks already unlocked before I uninstall my 0.9RC. :|
GeekPenguinBR

Postby tux_peng » 21 Apr 2015, 04:30

OSX-- ~/Library/Application\ Support/SuperTuxKart/0.8.2/players.xml
Win-- C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\supertuxkart/0.8.2/players.xml

Replace all occurrences of 'none' with 'easy'
If you would like info about my STK servers, http://playstk.net
Superposition 720p Low Desktop 15031 | Laptop 7484
glmark2 Score: 9272
tux_peng

Postby GunChleoc » 21 Apr 2015, 12:44

Congratulations on the release :)
GunChleoc

Postby ArDanWol » 21 Apr 2015, 15:30

Awesome! :D Thanks everyone for your hard work in making the best SuperTuxKart release yet! I'm downloading it right now! :D :)
I'm know pretty much everywhere else on the internet as "Kpenguin"
"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user - Murphy's 31st law of software
Each computer code has five bugs, regardless of how many bugs have been already found - Murphy's 50th law of software
"That's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!"
ArDanWol

Postby Bertram » 21 Apr 2015, 15:45

Congratulations!! :D

The new release looks awesome. I can't wait to play. Definitely AAA graphics quality.

Congrats. \O/
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby tux_peng » 21 Apr 2015, 16:40

I'm getting about 62fps on most tracks with my GTX 650 Ti, about 25 in Cocoa Temple and 35 in Grand Parandiso; this doesn't change even if I dissable anvanced pipeline altogether
If you would like info about my STK servers, http://playstk.net
Superposition 720p Low Desktop 15031 | Laptop 7484
glmark2 Score: 9272
tux_peng

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 21 Apr 2015, 16:55

tux_peng {l Wrote}:OSX-- ~/Library/Application\ Support/SuperTuxKart/0.8.2/players.xml
Win-- C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\supertuxkart/0.8.2/players.xml

Replace all occurrences of 'none' with 'easy'

I'll try this. :)

Since I'm not a gamer and my PC is not optimized for gaming I'm satisfied. My graphic card is not intended for extreme gaming (high fps rate), but it has a decent bandwidith of 51 GB/s that makes me play with 13-23 fps on Cocoa Temple and most tracks at 20-33 fps on level 5 and maximum settings. ;). The only one complain is the difficult to win Hacienda. I can't figure what's the reason, but this time, I had to play more than 15 times to win. I don't know if the time lap is shorter or some physics were changed, but I never experienced so difficult challenge while playing Hacienda. :(

Adiional comments:

1.The graphics are stunning, as known. My prefered tracks are "Northern Resort", "Grand Paradiso Island","Cocoa Temple", "Mansion Blackhill", "Shifting Sands" and "Zen Garden";
2.The official poster and trailer are excellent. Samuncle did a very good job here. I have downloaded both; :) and
3.I have clicked on complements to add the two addons (tracks) available, but, after doing this the tracks don't appear on the section complements. The only one aditional track showed is the old Island.:?
Last edited by GeekPenguinBR on 21 Apr 2015, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby Vermilion » 21 Apr 2015, 20:08

Will there be a Solaris Version? Please compile for Solaris 11!
Vermilion

Postby Funto » 21 Apr 2015, 21:49

Congrats everyone, it's been a long way :)
Funto

Postby Auria » 21 Apr 2015, 23:13

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:3.I have clicked on complements to add the two addons (tracks) available, but, after doing this the tracks don't appear on the section complements. The only one aditional track showed is the old Island.:?

Oh I think this is a problem we'd spotted before, there is one track that is actually a soccer arena and it appears in the wrong category, is this the one?
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 21 Apr 2015, 23:28

Auria {l Wrote}:
GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:3.I have clicked on complements to add the two addons (tracks) available, but, after doing this the tracks don't appear on the section complements. The only one aditional track showed is the old Island.:?

Oh I think this is a problem we'd spotted before, there is one track that is actually a soccer arena and it appears in the wrong category, is this the one?

Yes. Take a look:
Attachments
PrintScreens.jpg
GeekPenguinBR

Postby oln » 22 Apr 2015, 00:54

The blog post says:
The graphics hardware must at least support OpenGL 3.1 (which is 6 years old).

Though, it seems to still work on my system, with OpenGL 2.1/D3D9 hardware (Quadro fx3500m, Geforce 7950 equivalent.) The graphics are pretty basic and it gives me a warning, but it's still playable.
oln

Postby Akien » 22 Apr 2015, 09:43

oln {l Wrote}:The blog post says:
The graphics hardware must at least support OpenGL 3.1 (which is 6 years old).

Though, it seems to still work on my system, with OpenGL 2.1/D3D9 hardware (Quadro fx3500m, Geforce 7950 equivalent.) The graphics are pretty basic and it gives me a warning, but it's still playable.

It also works just fine (even with relatively good graphics) on my Intel HD Graphics 4000 which only supports up to OpenGL 3.0.
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby GunChleoc » 22 Apr 2015, 10:02

The warning is there for people with setup like mine where the tracks will crash STK. It can't be made more specific for technical reasons ;)
GunChleoc

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 22 Apr 2015, 11:52

GunChleoc {l Wrote}:The warning is there for people with setup like mine where the tracks will crash STK. It can't be made more specific for technical reasons ;)

Pay attention if you are not using a newer NET.framework. I had a recent version installed on my PC and it crashed STK. I was unable to figure out the reason for that until my brother Tuxkartdriver reminds me about this detail. So, I had to replace the new version. Now I'm using NET.Framework 3.5, that's supported by STK.
Last edited by GeekPenguinBR on 22 Apr 2015, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby deve » 22 Apr 2015, 12:56

Akien {l Wrote}:It also works just fine (even with relatively good graphics) on my Intel HD Graphics 4000 which only supports up to OpenGL 3.0.

Intel HD 4000 supports OpenGL 4.0 on Windows. If you are on Linux, current mesa supports OpenGL 3.3.

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:Pay attention if you are not using a newer NET.framework. I had a recent version installed on my PC and it crashed STK. I was unable to figure out the reason for that until my brother Tuxkartdriver reminds me about this detail. So, I had to replace the new version. Now I'm using NET.Framework 3.0, that's supported by STK.

I'm affraid that .NET has nothing to do with Supertuxkart ;) There is also nothing wrong if you have installed both versions on your computer (version 3.0/3.5 and the current version 4.5). Some applications need newer version, and some the older one.

Anyway STK doesn't use it. Maybe you meant Visual Studio Redistributable Package?
deve

Postby Akien » 22 Apr 2015, 13:10

deve {l Wrote}:
Akien {l Wrote}:It also works just fine (even with relatively good graphics) on my Intel HD Graphics 4000 which only supports up to OpenGL 3.0.

Intel HD 4000 supports OpenGL 4.0 on Windows. If you are on Linux, current mesa supports OpenGL 3.3.

I'm on Linux running mesa 10.4.7, and according to the mesa release notes it should support OpenGL 3.3. I guess it's just the output of glxinfo info which is somewhat confusing:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL | grep Mesa
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.4.7
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 10.4.7
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 10.4.7

I looked at the "OpenGL version string" which says 3.0, but there is also a "OpenGL core profile version string" which says 3.3.
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 22 Apr 2015, 14:03

deve {l Wrote}:Maybe you meant Visual Studio Redistributable Package?

Maybe, but when you download NET.framework it comes with Visual Studio, it's not? :think: AFAIK, if you replace the version of NET.framework you automatically replace Visual Studio. Maybe I'm wrong, because I'm not a programmer :? Anyway the replacement of NET.framework fixed the crash on my case. ;)
GeekPenguinBR

Postby woolookologie » 25 Apr 2015, 09:52

Hello all,
I wanted to install STK on my Ubuntu too now, but I have some troubles.
(First I have to say that im a BIG Linux-noob, i've spend not more than 10 hrs in this so far)
The first thing I was trying was download it via the software-center, but there I only can download the 8.1. Then I tried it via this: http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/Dow ... ader_linux
But the Ubuntu-binary is the 8.1. too. Now I downloaded the Linux-pack. There is this little script (run_game.sh) I should run. But if I run it, only the texteditor opens.
The last thing I tried was run the binary itself, but if I make this nothing happens.
Can you help me? :shock:
woolookologie

Postby GunChleoc » 25 Apr 2015, 10:13

Since the release is very new, it might take the packagers some time to create packages for all the Linux distributions. You could try compiling the code yourself, the instructions are on the wiki: http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/Build_STK_on_Linux

You might find this a bit daunting since you're new to Linux, but I find compiling FOSS projects easier on Linux than on Windows in general.
GunChleoc

Postby Seebi » 25 Apr 2015, 15:35

Hello,

The run_game.sh from our binary package should work fine. If it doesn't start when you click on it in the file manager, you can try to start it from a terminal.
To run it from a terminal, open a terminal window and go to the directory where the script is. (Maybe your file manager has the ability to do this for you: right click in the folder -> Open terminal or something similar)
You can change your current directory with the cd command:
cd go/to/stk/directory

Then execute the script with
./run_game.sh

This should open the SuperTuxKart window.
If it doesn't work, the output which you can see in the terminal window should give us hints about the problem, so please post it here or provide a link. That would help us a lot.
If you get stuck somewhere, don't hesitate to ask. :)
Seebi

Postby Wuzzy » 03 May 2015, 19:52

I have looked into STK again and managed to get the graphics (kinda) to work on graphics level 4, but I am forced to use a resoultion of 800×600.
Whatever, the game kinda works in this resolution, only a few strings don't fit in well.

But I finally got to see the amount of work you have put into the new engine and now I am impressed. It is a huge leap forward compared to version 0.8.1.
I like the GP editor and already have created 14 GPs for fun: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6324

The Story Mode is still a bit short and even easy (for me). I got all gold trophies on about 2 days, but on the other hand, I already have beaten Story Mode several times in previous versions.
The new achivements are, like, really easy (and one of them is broken, issue is reported), but I already discussed achievements somewhere else.

But I can fully understand you haven't put work into Story Mode and other stuff this time, I bet the new engine alone made you really busy.
Wuzzy