Las Dunas Stadium

Las Dunas Stadium

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 18 Mar 2015, 09:34

Hey guys!

I'm proud to show you my first oficial contribution in terms of tracks for the game. It's called Las Dunas Arena, which is a remake of Arena Stadium.

The track itself is not complex. There are two drivelines: 1.the main driveline, intended for beginners and intermediate; and , 2. the alternative driveline, for intermediate, experienced and STK gamers.

On my story, the track happens in a fictonal country like the United States on a saturday night event. The preliminary ficitional event is a monster truck's competition. The next and main event is our race brought by some of the STK official fictional companies.

This event - placed in a crowd arena stadium - has live trasmition by the local TV, present on he arena with the team, a truck and the blimp for aerial takes.

Now, the renderings. Some textures are (the crowd) not done yet, while some other like earth will be replaced. Look:
Attachments
A.jpg
B.jpg
C.jpg
D.jpg
Last edited by GeekPenguinBR on 15 Jul 2018, 01:47, edited 13 times in total.
GeekPenguinBR

Re: Las Dunas Arena

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 18 Mar 2015, 09:36

Continues:

The big pannel still shows the original wrong logo. Now,it's updated.
Attachments
F.jpg
G (2).png
I.jpg
Through the fire and flames
GeekPenguinBR

Postby XGhost » 18 Mar 2015, 13:05

Wow this looks very promising. ;)
I'm looking forward to test a playable version.
Keep up the good work!
XGhost

Postby GunChleoc » 18 Mar 2015, 18:33

This looks great! :D

I found another typo: "Flammable" is spelled with double mm.
GunChleoc

Postby Tiger » 18 Mar 2015, 19:16

XGhost {l Wrote}:Wow this looks very promising. ;)

I liked the buses! :cool:
Tiger

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 18 Mar 2015, 19:36

XGhost {l Wrote}:Wow this looks very promising. ;)
Keep up the good work!

"Thanks a lot, XGhost! :)
The track will be released for testing in the next days, but I'm testing he ramps to improve the jumps. As soon as the tracks is ready, I will send it to Samuncle in private message. Then, I wll post the file for all in the forum after his approval.
Last edited by GeekPenguinBR on 18 Mar 2015, 20:15, edited 2 times in total.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 18 Mar 2015, 19:37

GunChleoc {l Wrote}:This looks great! :D

I found another typo: "Flammable" is spelled with double mm.

The texture is provisory. I will improve it with the help of my brother. Maybe, a TUXEL logo will be showed too.

Not all textures are already done. There's no texture fr te big screens. Personaly, I would like to insert two or three images changing after some seconds, since we don't have yet the possibility to insert a video.
Last edited by GeekPenguinBR on 19 Mar 2015, 03:35, edited 1 time in total.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 18 Mar 2015, 19:58

Special Effects:

I intend to add some special effects according to the possibilities. Samuncle will tell us what kind of these effects can be added. My project includes:

1.Oil barrels with flames (as showed above, the karts will jump thorught the flames if possible);
2.A sequence of generic images (the grid, a take from the top, etc.) on the big screen changing after four or five seconds. A "WOOOOW!" could be showed every time we jump that long jump as described in the next item;
Untitled 36.jpg

3.A voice of a sportscaster. This will be interesting, but I need the help of somebody from the United States who have a good voice or know somebody (a man) that has. We need someone with the local accent, since this track is clearly placed in somewhere that looks like USA. So sorry, but no German, French, Indian, Russian, Japanese or Brazilian accent. :lol:
The voice of the sportscaster can scream "WOW!" every time the kart (mine, your kart) jumps above the buses. That's the track's longest jump. Maybe other spots could be recorded with generic expressions or phrases like "Excellent!", "Good attempt Nolok..." , etc.; and,
4.God rays or some light that looks like these:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/imageresize/i ... Height=347
https://bbctransmission.files.wordpress ... fotor1.jpg
https://bbctransmission.files.wordpress ... fotor1.jpg
http://www.topgear.com/uk/imageresize/i ... s-bv16.jpg
http://www.danielkolenda.com/wp-content ... G_9803.jpg

The final appearance of ths track must be like this:
http://www.mastersofdirt.com/wp-content ... 0679_o.jpg
http://www.iorr.org/tour14/20141029-per ... s-bv16.jpg

The track is completed. Finnished. Now, We (I and my brother) are testing the jumps trying to find he better inclination for all the ramps and the improvement of the time lap, a little short for while. As soon as possible, I will send a message to Samuncle with details and the file with the track. Not now, because we are fixing some aspects like jumps, curves, etc.

I hope you all like the concept and enjoy my track when the final file be released for you in the next days (I hope between 15-20 days). :)
GeekPenguinBR

Postby ArDanWol » 18 Mar 2015, 21:37

I might be able to help with the voice acting since I'm American.... I live in Ohio. :D Does that still count or do you want someone from the western USA? :think:
I'm know pretty much everywhere else on the internet as "Kpenguin"
"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user - Murphy's 31st law of software
Each computer code has five bugs, regardless of how many bugs have been already found - Murphy's 50th law of software
"That's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!"
ArDanWol

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 18 Mar 2015, 22:29

ardanwol {l Wrote}:I might be able to help with the voice acting since I'm American.... I live in Ohio. :D Does that still count or do you want someone from the western USA? :think:

Hi! Ardanwol,
Wow! This will be really nice! :cool: I hope we have this kind of effect possible in the 8.2 and they agree to include the voice.

Actually, the region doenst' matter. The important aspect is the US accent, worldwide known due to movies, so, would be weird a French or a Polish faking your national accent.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby ArDanWol » 19 Mar 2015, 00:48

@GeekPenguinBR, I can start the voice acting if you give me the scripts. :) Just post them here or e-mail them to me.
"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user - Murphy's 31st law of software
Each computer code has five bugs, regardless of how many bugs have been already found - Murphy's 50th law of software
ArDanWol

Postby samuncle » 19 Mar 2015, 02:03

Hi.
I wanted to say you congratulation for your job because it takes a hell lot of time to do something like that. I can't wait to be able to test ingame. I prefer to be honest to see screenshoots ingame because it shows how it's in reality (from the point of view of the player). Also you will have to convert all of that in blender with our materials and that will take a LOT of time. Which is a bit sad. I do strongly recommend to use blender as your tools since all our own tools/materials etc are designed to work with blender not maya. I also fear you didn't tested in stk which if the case will lead to problems. You can't really guess from the 3D software. The best way to be sure a track is working is to try it in stk.

Here is a bunch of suggestions
1) The idea of an alternate path is a good idea however this reduce the likelihood of having opponent. If you do a race with 3 people you might end up with only one against one while other are "lost" in the alternate road. That's why it's better to have if you want to make an alternate road some intersection so you have more possibilities to be against someone.

2) Some of your objects could be included in stk in the library. I also noticed you wrote on the giant tire Firefox, you could use Yellow Duck Company which is the manufacturer of all next gen tracks. I can provide you the logo if you want.

3) The big inflated can is funny :). The TV channel car too. This could be included in more tracks (not necessarily as a car but I was thinking about drones flying to record the race).

4) You should add many screen with moving text and animated stuff like real event. I wonder how you will do the crowd since it might take a lot of resources.

I will end by I'm looking forward to test a playable version. It's the only way to make a real detailed review (if you want) because I can visit the whole track and test it in real conditions.

Edit:
We need an american accent for the channel 37, WXTB :P that would be awesome. However I'm still not convinced by the name WXTB, but that's a very minor detail.
Anyway I have some suggestions.
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 19 Mar 2015, 02:29

ardanwol {l Wrote}:@GeekPenguinBR, I can start the voice acting if you give me the scripts. :) Just post them here or e-mail them to me.

Ardawol,

Since I'm not from USA and not used to watch these kind of events in english, I have no idea about the common terms, expressions and slangs used by sportscasters. So, I'm selecting some videos for you and I will post the list as soon as possible today with all the details.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby samuncle » 19 Mar 2015, 02:41

Second part of my answer on the technical part:

1) Oil barrels with flames
It's definitely possible. This effect of fire is already used in many places like the big aztec torches in Cocoa Temple. The only issue is the light casted can't be changed (the energy and the color are constant) but it's planned in the next version to correct this

2) A sequence of generic images
It's possible with some trickery involved ^^. I can't really describe but I'm pretty sure I can make a screen like "live". In the future it's planned to be able to show the screen of the player in a texture so it can emulate a racing camera view. Currently we support animated texture like a movie and scrolling textures. You can read the manual to get an idea of what's possible to do. Changing informations on screen depending on the race will be possible in the future version when scripting will be activated. To get a better idea of what's possible currently: http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/Tra ... %27s_Guide

3) A voice of a sportscaster
Again if it's just generic stuff yep it's possible but not randomly I did that for the track gran paradiso with airport annoucement. It's currently only a 30 sec audio file played. If you want contextual information (like racing result) you will need a looot of voice sample + scripting.

4) God rays
They are possible in "some ways" depending on the realism you want. In the current engine you can do something quite interesting taking a side effect of the Depth of field. In future versions I want a shader to be able to do fake volumetric light rays.
The track is completed. Finnished. Now, We (I and my brother) are testing the jumps trying to find he better inclination for all the ramps and the improvement of the time lap, a little short for while. As soon as possible, I will send a message to Samuncle with details and the file with the track. Not now, because we are fixing some aspects like jumps, curves, etc.

As I said just let us test in stk :)
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 19 Mar 2015, 03:02

Hi, Samuncle!

Thanks for your words.

Yes, had a lot of work, but, as always, I have the help of my brother, much more skilled on Maya. Actually, I have not much problem to make the models in 3D. TBH, I'm a bit fast to model, but some details like adjusting maps and other complicated things are made by him.

As soon as possible, I will send the file to you. No problem about the format file, because we export all as obj and my brother (who have some knowledge on Blender) makes the adjustments. So, the final file will be exactly like yours and ready to be imported by the STK editor. Unfortunatelly, I know almost nothing in terms of modelling on Blender. That's why I still make everything on Maya for while.

The alternate path is intended for a different public: intermediate and experienced. I have seen some guys (and myself included) that like to lay with many karts instead a few ones. So, I made this for this kind of player (experienced who like a lot of karts)

samuncle {l Wrote}:Some of your objects could be included in stk in the library. I also noticed you wrote on the giant tire Firefox, you could use Yellow Duck Company which is the manufacturer of all next gen tracks. I can provide you the logo if you want.

Yes, I want it for sure, the name is funny too, but why not Rubber Duck Company? BTW: rubber duck was one of my preferred karts on 0.6.

samuncle {l Wrote}: The big inflated can is funny :). The TV channel car too. This could be included in more tracks (not necessarily as a car but I was thinking about drones flying to record the race).

It's good to know. :) The idea of drones filming other races is good. This could be done by the blimp/airship too.

samuncle {l Wrote}:You should add many screen with moving text and animated stuff like real event.

That's the idea, but I don't know how to do this in the editor.

samuncle {l Wrote}:I wonder how you will do the crowd since it might take a lot of resources.

I'm planning to draw a bunch of cheerers (some amount between 20 and 30 diferent people) and add this texture on some oval plane as seen from the top, like the shape of the arena. This will allow us to see the red texture too. Since the event is at night, the level of visibility doesn't matter much.

samuncle {l Wrote}: It's the only way to make a real detailed review (if you want) because I can visit the whole track and test it in real conditions.

I will send the track for you in the next days after we fix the inclinations/angles making the drivelines playable.

samuncle {l Wrote}:Anyway I have some suggestions.

It's good. I'm ready to hear you. Just wait until I make all the textures and I will send you a message with all my doubts, questions and the file with the track to test
GeekPenguinBR

Postby samuncle » 19 Mar 2015, 03:18

just post the track ^^. even if ramps aren't ready (you can send it in private). I perfectly know what it's like to make a track. The first version of cocoa wasn't ready too when I published.

I want to show you what you can achieve with some trickery. Here is a projector like you want

lighthouse.jpg
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 19 Mar 2015, 03:51

"Nice", I wrote a book and then, I updated the page before publising the text. Now, I'm writing everything again... :twisted:

PS. Now I just realized that my keyboard is getting crazy and I need to fix the issue.

Well, here I go:

samuncle {l Wrote}:1) Oil barrels with flames
It's definitely possible. This effect of fire is already used in many places like the big aztec torches in Cocoa Temple. The only issue is the light casted can't be changed (the energy and the color are constant)

No problem since the flames are tall enough to look like a challenge, a bit "creepy" and exciting to pass through, ;)

samuncle {l Wrote}:2) A sequence of generic images
It's possible with some trickery involved ^^. I can't really describe but I'm pretty sure I can make a screen like "live".

Is it possible to insert a a flash file? If not, I will make three or four different screens showing the grid with the name of the characters (as if it was the sheet of the curent championship, no matter who is driving in the race), a view from the airship and a take showing some point but not close, of course.

samuncle {l Wrote}:3) A voice of a sportscaster
Again if it's just generic stuff yep it's possible but not randomly I did that for the track gran paradiso with airport annoucement. It's currently only a 30 sec audio file played. If you want contextual information (like racing result) you will need a looot of voice sample + scripting.

Yes, The phrases must be generic. I have intention to add these:

1. A presentation like this (but shorter):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjSU7kJ9DKA

2. Some generic comment like "What a passing!"(overtaking); and,
3. The scream "WOW" when (and if) the kart of the player jump over the buses and arrives on the twin ramp ahead.

[quote="samuncle"]4) God rays
They are possible in "some ways" depending on the realism you want. In the current engine you can do something quite interesting taking a side effect of the Depth of field. In future versions I want a shader to be able to do fake volumetric light rays.[quote]

The idea is to do it looking like this:
http://www.iorr.org/tour14/20141029-per ... s-bv16.jpg

So, if the transparency was available, I could make some blue transparent cones to silmulate the lights from the spots instead using god rays.

I will try to send the track for you until saturday.
Last edited by GeekPenguinBR on 19 Mar 2015, 08:40, edited 3 times in total.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 19 Mar 2015, 03:53

samuncle {l Wrote}:just post the track ^^. even if ramps aren't ready (you can send it in private). I perfectly know what it's like to make a track. The first version of cocoa wasn't ready too when I published.

I want to show you what you can achieve with some trickery. Here is a projector like you want

lighthouse.jpg

Yes. That's the idea.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby samuncle » 19 Mar 2015, 04:06

Okay that was achieved by three cones with fade out textures. Edges are blended by the depth of field. So it won't work on a closed environment. Or the walls have to be really in the distance. Like a giant arena.

In a near future we will have the ability to do this without depth of field trickery. At least that what I hope.

However for the moment I suggest you to not go to far this way and focus on releasing the arena because improvement can alway be done later.

Don't give up and I'm impatient to test your track
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 19 Mar 2015, 05:31

ardanwol {l Wrote}:@GeekPenguinBR, I can start the voice acting if you give me the scripts. :) Just post them here or e-mail them to me.

Thanks a lot! :) Well, I would ask you exactly this (the script). :lol:

To be honest, I don't know what expressions and slangs are used by sportscasters for this kind of event in the United States. So, I'm sure you know much more the approppriate phrases that can be used.

My project is based on a mix of these kind of events:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akdo9MoVqfA (Monster Jam)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7BBRpwZSUU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB-TsGYq7gs (BMX)

and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gntI26tdm60 (X-Games Mostocross)

I want to include three or four phrases:

1.The presentation (like this, but short. Less than 5 seconds):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjSU7kJ9DKA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE3uCzkkUHA

+ something like "Let's go"/"Here we go", "Start your engines" or "It's showtime!"

2.The comments: two or three generic phrases (Must be something that sounds hardcore, with a lot of emotion):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_JLomKhkn0 (1:33-1:45)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFeHUdEQ1Zs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BqjGTDfuaw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNpd_9LCaG8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB-TsGYq7gs (2:34-3:11, 4:20-, 5:11-5:30)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNbSm_cxmkY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvdcQCGnpRU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNbSm_cxmkY

The phrases can be something like "What a passing/overtaking!", "Oh! That's was insane (or crazy)" juts like the sportcasters say in USA and the phrases will refer to common events for this kind of race with jumps. So, the player/gamer will hear the sportscaster saying something about a ficitional overtaking, a crash, a skidding, etc.

3.The scream "WOW", that will be linked to the action of(long) jump. The game will play the voice of the sportscaster (you) when and if the kart jump from the first twin ramp over the two buses and arrive on second the twin ramp ahead. I wish they can make it synchronized to the WOW on the big screen.

So, it's better you chose the most apropriate phrases like you are used to hear. The contrary would be asweird as someone from USA or Australia giving me a script for the narration of a football (soccer) game in a Brazilian league. :lol:
GeekPenguinBR

Postby ArDanWol » 19 Mar 2015, 14:48

@GeekPenguinBR
I'll try to watch those videos, write a script, and start on the voice acting this weekend. :D Do you want me to include kart names in the narration, or just give the info? For example, do you want me to say "Tux just performed an incredible pass around Nolok!" or just "What an amazing pass!"? :think:
ArDanWol

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 19 Mar 2015, 21:12

ardanwol {l Wrote}:@GeekPenguinBR
I'll try to watch those videos, write a script, and start on the voice acting this weekend.

Thanks in advance!

ardanwol {l Wrote}::D Do you want me to include kart names in the narration, or just give the info? For example, do you want me to say "Tux just performed an incredible pass around Nolok!" or just "What an amazing pass!"? :think:

Humm..I think it's better not to include names. Maybe sometimes Nolok, Sara, Wilber, Adiumi, or any other kart won't appear in the race, so this would sounds weird: "Nolok? Where is Nolok? I didn't even have seen Nolok among the karts!". So, generic info are better.

According to Samuncle, the total time for the audio file must be 30 seconds. So, four or five phrases with 4 seconds (16-20 sec) are pretty good. Eg.: 1. The presentation or "Let's go"/Here we go/"It's show time"; 2."What an amazing pass!"; 3. Something like "That's what I call..."(you insert the name of the action or a pun )"; 4."Wow!" and some other you wish.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby hiker » 19 Mar 2015, 23:25

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:
ardanwol {l Wrote}::D Do you want me to include kart names in the narration, or just give the info? For example, do you want me to say "Tux just performed an incredible pass around Nolok!" or just "What an amazing pass!"? :think:

Humm..I think it's better not to include names. Maybe sometimes Nolok, Sara, Wilber, Adiumi, or any other kart won't appear in the race, so this would sounds weird: "Nolok? Where is Nolok? I didn't even have seen Nolok among the karts!". So, generic info are better.

Not to mention that karts might get removed ;)

According to Samuncle, the total time for the audio file must be 30 seconds. So, four or five phrases with 4 seconds (16-20 sec) are pretty good. Eg.: 1. The presentation or "Let's go"/Here we go/"It's show time"; 2."What an amazing pass!"; 3. Something like "That's what I call..."(you insert the name of the action or a pun )"; 4."Wow!" and some other you wish.

They don't have to be that length, stk itself is flexible. One issue is the potential repetitiveness. After the next release we will focus on integrating scripting to stk, which will give you a lot more options to avoid this (e.g. pick a random sound to be played). At this stage (but that is most likely already too late for the next release) all I can suggest is to add different trigger lines, e.g. three shortish lines next to each other (with some space in between), so that depending on where on the road you drive you will get a different message (and we have not done this, so it would need to be checked how it works in the game).

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 19 Mar 2015, 23:56

hiker {l Wrote}:They don't have to be that length, stk itself is flexible.

Yes, I expressed myself badly. What I had meant is the maximum ideal length should be less than 30 sec.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby ArDanWol » 22 Mar 2015, 01:26

Sorry GeekPenguinBR. I just realized today that my microphone quit working. I probably won't be able to get the voice acting to you for the next two weeks because I'm very busy until then. :( Sorry about the inconvenience. I watched the videos you posted and made up a script (it's more like just a list of phrases). If you want, I can send that to you. I will get the voice acting to you ASAP.

ArDanWol
ArDanWol