Development stopped - Resumed

Development stopped - Resumed

Postby CryHam » 12 Jan 2015, 17:13

Well, just in case you didn't know already, SR development stopped, since 16 Nov 2014.
I don't yet have plans to continue. But possibly I could try when new Ogre 2.0 comes out, or few months after IDK.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Re: Development stopped

Postby Bertram » 12 Jan 2015, 17:48

It's been quite a ride. :)

Congrats for everything done. Are you still ok with reviewing outer contributions? (Unfortunately, I say that in general, because I wouldn't have the time anyway.)

All the best for what's next. :)
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby CryHam » 12 Jan 2015, 17:58

Thanks. Well exactly 5 years.
I doubt anything will happen. But, I am open to bugfixes and contributions in general.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Bertram » 13 Jan 2015, 15:50

5 years on the same beast for one person is already huge, so I understand you want to do something else with your time.
As far as I see, there is nothing in this project you can be ashamed of, sincerely.

Personally, when motivation fails, I take a few days out of screens, and mainly do something completely opposite or less-mine breaking, eh.

I do hope to see you knowledge used somewhere else, though, with not in another open project, and in any case, I'm sure SR can wait for your motivation or someone else to take off again.

Thanks for the best crazy-loops races I've been having in a racing game and again, one last time, all the best for what's next.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby CryHam » 13 Jan 2015, 17:48

This is nice to hear, thanks.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby charlie » 15 Jan 2015, 04:56

Is it because you ran out of ideas or motivation or a bit of both?

Or has the beast outgrown you? (Big projects can be tough to tame.)
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby CryHam » 15 Jan 2015, 22:20

Ah, neither.
I got ideas, most are big ones. The issues list (todo) has plenty.
I think probably this is what doesn't attract developers, there are hardly any small things to do left. It's not that easy to make great tracks either.
Also a bit on downside is that this list is growing not shrinking.

I just wanted to do something else for a while. Don't know for how long exactly.
I can't stop thinking about my other game I wanted do make, also since like forever (and also tried making it in the past). I won't say much about it coz idk if it starts well, and still probably needs like 1year to have sth to show.
IDK we'll see. It might be too big to do, or I might suddenly not have that much free time left.

Lately I was programming microcontrollers (I'm interested in electronics since long too), it's much nicer to do nowadays, lots of open source libs and tools and cheaper hardware.
And I'm dealing with my new keyboards, since the last ones are 8 and 10 years old now and slowly dying.
I surely need sth nice to touch to programm this much :D, not that crap they're selling.

Ah and I develop a bit my audio player, I barely did that since 2010 and I use it every day.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby dimproject » 16 Jan 2015, 16:46

In SR-Editor annoying random changing road width and another parameters.
In example below, it's hard to get parameter equal 10.00.
SR-Editor code is too complicated for me. It was hard time. :(
Looks like only for pro programmers with experience.

RWidth.jpg
RWidth.jpg (33.16 KiB) Viewed 16991 times

CryHam {l Wrote}:Ah and I develop a bit my audio player, I barely did that since 2010 and I use it every day.

I can help with translation from English into Russian for your audio player. :)
dimproject

Postby Wuzzy » 16 Jan 2015, 20:00

@dimproject: Have you seen the video tutorials? All the stuff became clear to me after I watched them. In fact, I consider them a must-watch. :)
Personally I don't think you have to be a programmer to use the editor. But you *do* have to know how to use the editor. ;)
Here is the playlist on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... D07445695F
Wuzzy

Postby CryHam » 16 Jan 2015, 20:45

@dimproject
Yeah I get what you mean. Sometimes it'd be good to set selected points to such value, or have that snap function like for angles.
Isn't very needed though imo and I'm not doing anything, and this isn't the place to write such.
But it's not random, use shift for smaller changes. You could replace values in road.xml too, or write just a temp code in ed that does it.
Yup, ed's code is special :)
Nope, I think I won't even bother with making my player translatable, I don't have fonts with all characters, just a bitmap with 255 european, too much trouble, it's bare DirectX with nothing.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby dimproject » 21 Jan 2015, 10:04

I offer my idea changing road width for SR-Editor.
I edited Update_Edit.cpp.
Update_Edit.cpp
(26.16 KiB) Downloaded 826 times
dimproject

Postby CryHam » 09 Jul 2015, 22:06

Looks like I'm back to developing, somewhat slower.
With possible release sometime, need to gather some features first so it's worth releasing.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Akien » 09 Jul 2015, 23:52

CryHam {l Wrote}:Looks like I'm back to developing, somewhat slower.
With possible release sometime, need to gather some features first so it's worth releasing.

Awesome! Looking forward to this what you and other contributors will come up with :D
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien