SuperTuxKart 0.8.2 beta release

SuperTuxKart 0.8.2 beta release

Postby hiker » 17 Dec 2014, 12:53

Merry Christmas to all of you who have been waiting for the new release!

header-2.png

Now, in order to avoid more or less copying our blog post, here just a link, which contains more details and pictures:
http://supertuxkart.blogspot.com.au/2014/12/merry-christmas-and-beta.html

If you should have any problems with getting stk to run (esp. graphical problems): try video different settings. If lower settings fix the problem, then try re-enabling the features. This might immediately tell us which shader might cause the problem. We also need to know your system details - the most important bit is at the beginning of the stdout.log file (to find it: see our FAQ and look for the file stdout.log. It contains details about your graphics card and driver, e.g.:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
[info   ] IrrDriver: OpenGL version: 3.1
[info   ] IrrDriver: OpenGL vendor: Intel
[info   ] IrrDriver: OpenGL renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
[info   ] IrrDriver: OpenGL version string: 3.1.0 - Build 9.17.10.3517
[info   ] irr_driver: GLSL supported.

Oh, we should perhaps explain how to unlock the nice and shiny new tracks (though of course feel free to unlock them using the story mode): Start STK once, create a local user, and quit. Check our FAQ (link above) to find the user config directory and open the file players.xml. Then replace all "none" with "hard", and everything will be unlocked - including "Cocoa" and "Gran Paradiso Island".

Enjoy!
The SuperTuxKart Team
hiker

Re: SuperTuxKart 0.8.2 beta release

Postby deve » 17 Dec 2014, 13:20

I can create linux static package if you want. But probably not today - I will be late at home.

I think that it should be easy to do using debootstrap to install Debian Wheezy locally (32 and 64-bit). I even have it installed already. Official stable STK was built with older glibc version (on Wheezy there is 2.13), but it should be compatible enough. And libraries will be mostly the same as included in stable STK. We just need to find them in system and copy.
deve

Postby d2kx » 17 Dec 2014, 15:18

This looks absolutely amazing. Had fun with the last stable release and cannot wait to try this one today!

Static linux packages would be great, and may I also ask whether there is a way to benchmark the game? Like a timedemo of the best looking track or something? I want to see SuperTuxKart being added to the main Phoronix.com benchmark toolset in the near future.
d2kx

Postby d2kx » 17 Dec 2014, 15:53

I have extreme graphical problems as soon as "use improved graphics" (I assume this enables the OpenGL 3.1 renderer) is checked. Doesn't matter if I disable all the advanced features, but this very checkbox makes the game unplayable. It's fine without it.

[info   ] IrrDriver: OpenGL version: 4.3
[info   ] IrrDriver: OpenGL vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
[info   ] IrrDriver: OpenGL renderer: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
[info   ] IrrDriver: OpenGL version string: 4.3.13283 Core Profile Context 14.501.1003.0
[info   ] GLDriver: AMD Vertex Shader Layer enabled
[info   ] GLDriver: ARB Buffer Storage enabled
[info   ] GLDriver: ARB Base Instance enabled
[info   ] GLDriver: ARB Draw Indirect enabled
[info   ] GLDriver: ARB Compute Shader enabled
[info   ] GLDriver: ARB Texture Storage enabled
[info   ] GLDriver: ARB Texture View enabled
[info   ] GLDriver: ARB Bindless Texture enabled
[warn   ] Graphics: Can not find version for '4.3.13283 Core Profile Context 14.501.1003.0' 'AMD Radeon R9 200 Series' - ignored.

Wondering if the FOSS Radeon Mesa drivers work.
d2kx

Postby d2kx » 17 Dec 2014, 15:53

I have extreme graphical problems as soon as "use improved graphics" (I assume this enables the OpenGL 3.1 renderer) is checked. Doesn't matter if I disable all the advanced features, but this very checkbox makes the game unplayable. It's fine without it.

[info   ] IrrDriver: OpenGL version string: 4.3.13283 Core Profile Context 14.501.1003.0
[warn   ] Graphics: Can not find version for '4.3.13283 Core Profile Context 14.501.1003.0' 'AMD Radeon R9 200 Series' - ignored.

d2kx

Postby tux » 17 Dec 2014, 17:13

SuperTuxKart 0.8.2 don't work on Windows XP
Attachments
2014-12-17 17_12_15-Program Manager.png
Error
tux

Postby Arthur » 17 Dec 2014, 18:25

Sorry, but we no longer support Windows XP. Binary is only for Windows Vista and later.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Akien » 17 Dec 2014, 18:49

hiker {l Wrote}:Oh, we should perhaps explain how to unlock the nice and shiny new tracks (though of course feel free to unlock them using the story mode): Start STK once, create a local user, and quit. Check our FAQ (link above) to find the user config directory and open the file players.xml. Then replace all "none" with "hard", and everything will be unlocked - including "Cocoa" and "Gran Paradiso Island".

The players.xml file seems to have a funny format:
$ file players.xml
players.xml: Unicode text, UTF-32, little-endian

When I open it with nano, I also see garbage, and with cat I see the contents but it starts with ��.

It's fine with kate since it manages to load it as UTF-32LE, but wouldn't it be better to use good old plain UTF-8?
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby tux » 17 Dec 2014, 19:02

Why you no longer support Windows XP? Can you create version for Windows XP?
tux

Postby Arthur » 17 Dec 2014, 19:28

tux {l Wrote}:Why you no longer support Windows XP? Can you create version for Windows XP?

It would be significantly more work for a platform that's been abandoned by Microsoft: we would have to remove Wiimote support and use older development tools to create the binary itself, so the additional work is simply no longer worth it. We would really recommend you upgrade to a newer operating system, for your general computer safety as well.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Akien » 17 Dec 2014, 19:48

Arthur {l Wrote}:
tux {l Wrote}:Why you no longer support Windows XP? Can you create version for Windows XP?

It would be significantly more work for a platform that's been abandoned by Microsoft: we would have to remove Wiimote support and use older development tools to create the binary itself, so the additional work is simply no longer worth it. We would really recommend you upgrade to a newer operating system, for your general computer safety as well.

+1. It's a good opportunity to try Linux :-)
Akien

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 17 Dec 2014, 20:24

Congratulations for all members of STK team! You did a wonderful job with a very good level of graphic improvement. I hope everything, as soon as possible, may works fine on my PC (no bugs) as well I hope the best for all the spertuxkart players all over the world. For while, I have already experienced some issues.

Can you create a hard disk partition to install there a supported version of Linux?
Last edited by GeekPenguinBR on 18 Dec 2014, 08:55, edited 2 times in total.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby Akien » 17 Dec 2014, 20:32

Congratulations from me too, overall it's an awesome release! So much changed since 0.8.1 that 0.9.0 might have been a better name IMO, but I know that you aim for a 0.9.0 with all the tracks ported to be next-gen. Cheers :-)
Akien

Postby hiker » 17 Dec 2014, 22:13

Arthur {l Wrote}:

Some technical background: we are now using 'newer' (2011) C++ features, which are not supported by older (pre 2013) versions of Visual Studio anymore. There might be some support for XP in VS 2013, I have to read the docs if there is a way - though, do you have a modern enough hardware (esp. graphics card) to be able to actually run the new STK?

We might also try to see if we can build STK with cygwin, we had a few patches in that should allow us to do that. I am not an expert on cygwin, but a binary compiled with cygwin might be able to run on XP (can anyone confirm this?)

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby deve » 17 Dec 2014, 22:55

Just to be clear. Cygwin compilation probably won't work because it needs mostly the same fixes as mingw. I didn't care much about it and I fixed only mingw compilation. Also the difference is that mingw doesn't need whole cygwin installation, xserver etc. to work. It's more "native".

I didn't check compilation on WinXP (only on Vista and Win7), but it should work.
deve

Postby Auria » 17 Dec 2014, 23:38

d2kx {l Wrote}:I have extreme graphical problems as soon as "use improved graphics" (I assume this enables the OpenGL 3.1 renderer) is checked. Doesn't matter if I disable all the advanced features, but this very checkbox makes the game unplayable. It's fine without it.

Since you mentionned Mesa, I assume this is on linux? If so, are you using the prioprietary driver?
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby hiker » 18 Dec 2014, 07:16

deve {l Wrote}:Just to be clear. Cygwin compilation probably won't work because it needs mostly the same fixes as mingw. I didn't care much about it and I fixed only mingw compilation. Also the difference is that mingw doesn't need whole cygwin installation, xserver etc. to work. It's more "native".

I didn't check compilation on WinXP (only on Vista and Win7), but it should work.

Oops - yes, my bad - mingw, not cygwin.

And fwiw: I found an option in VS 2013 that _might_ (who knows ;) ) create an XP compatible version. I'll try to create a binary later and will upload it somewhere.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby hiker » 18 Dec 2014, 12:46

tux {l Wrote}:SuperTuxKart 0.8.2 don't work on Windows XP

I've found a switch in VS 2013 which is supposed to create XP compatible binaries. I've uploaded the binaries only, could you try and copy the files from http://sourceforge.net/projects/supertuxkart/files/SuperTuxKart/0.8.2-beta/test/ into your installation (i.e. you need to first install our normal windows installer, then copy the files in the test directory into the installation directory, overwriting the supertuxkart.exe file).

Let me know how you go! If this should work, I'll create an XP package.

Thanks a lot!
Joerg
hiker

Postby GunChleoc » 18 Dec 2014, 15:50

Congratulations! Downloading now :)

I have started working on translations and I noticed that you use both "log in" and "sign in". Maybe you should pick one of these for all strings, or is there a difference in functionality?
GunChleoc

Postby tux » 18 Dec 2014, 16:24

Let me know how you go!

I downloaded files from test directory and replaced files on STK directory but STK still don't work
tux

Postby hiker » 18 Dec 2014, 22:25

tux {l Wrote}:
Let me know how you go!

I downloaded files from test directory and replaced files on STK directory but STK still don't work

What SP are you on? I've found at least one comment saying that you need to be on SP3.

Otherwise we might need to look at mingw compilation, but tbh that will not be exactly a priority for us.

Thanks!
Joerg
hiker

Postby GunChleoc » 19 Dec 2014, 00:15

I have a suggestion for the startup - the user is presented with a big login dialog box thing. I thought I'll make up my mind and read all this later, so I hit "cancel". What I would expect then is to continue without account creation - instead the program quits.
GunChleoc

Postby Auria » 19 Dec 2014, 00:55

GunChleoc {l Wrote}:I have a suggestion for the startup - the user is presented with a big login dialog box thing. I thought I'll make up my mind and read all this later, so I hit "cancel". What I would expect then is to continue without account creation - instead the program quits.

Hi,
thanks for your feedback. We already know this screen is slightly confusing and we will improve this.

FYI: what you could have done is uncheck the "online" checkbox, then you could have created an offline player
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby aaditya » 19 Dec 2014, 13:15

Hi,

To run it on Slackware Linux, I needed four extra library files that I got off a Debian VM install:

These are:
libgssapi_krb5.so.2
libkrb5.so.3
libk5crypto.so.3
libkrb5support.so.0

After copying those files it worked.
I had reported a similar problem with version 0.8.1 as well:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5906&p=60293#p60450

Here is a tar of those libraries for 64 bit (I had copied them in lib-64 folder):
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mefiles ... bit.tar.gz

Here is the command line output from running the game (after copying those libs):
http://paste2.org/MZOY3EA7
aaditya

Postby GunChleoc » 20 Dec 2014, 20:42

Auria {l Wrote}:
GunChleoc {l Wrote}:I have a suggestion for the startup - the user is presented with a big login dialog box thing. I thought I'll make up my mind and read all this later, so I hit "cancel". What I would expect then is to continue without account creation - instead the program quits.

Hi,
thanks for your feedback. We already know this screen is slightly confusing and we will improve this.

FYI: what you could have done is uncheck the "online" checkbox, then you could have created an offline player

Yes, I figured that out after the restart.

Maybe unchecked could be the default of the checkbox?
GunChleoc