"alternate" track ideas

"alternate" track ideas

Postby chaorace » 31 Aug 2010, 00:51

Alternate tracks are existing tracks with a twist that changes how the player competes on the course
I first got the idea when my graphics card went crazy:
The idea is: why not make alternate "flooded" tracks that have the same things as the original track, but are flooded with water! ( changes the physics and stuff)
More alternate track ideas:
The classic "reverse" track ( driving from where a lap ends to where it begins)
"Flipped/Mirrored" track (what was on the left is on the right and vice versa)
"Collision" tracks (half of the racers drive reversed while the rest drive standard)
chaorace

Re: "alternate" track ideas

Postby Auria » 31 Aug 2010, 02:56

Hi,

not bad ideas, but we need to keep that for after 0.7 :)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby chaorace » 31 Aug 2010, 03:11

it's great to get feedback!

as long as I'm spitballing ideas here I might as well say that the number one feature I would like in STK is the powerslide. It is when you take a really sharp turn and you get a turbo boost. It came from the Mario kart series but I really miss it.
best example I could find: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djTSk9oL4lE
chaorace

Postby hiker » 31 Aug 2010, 04:44

chaorace {l Wrote}:as long as I'm spitballing ideas here I might as well say that the number one feature I would like in STK is the powerslide. It is when you take a really sharp turn and you get a turbo boost. It came from the Mario kart series but I really miss it.
best example I could find: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djTSk9oL4lE

This is planned with the physics update after the 0.7 release (and will replace the current sharp turn implementation). I can't really say when, since I'll first start on helping out with the addon manager, but it's certainly on our todo list.

Re your other ideas: Reverse driving is certainly planned - the idea is actually that you can have different 'modes' for one track - be it a reverse more, or some paths might be opened and others closed, or night/day mode, ... - but for that we also have to update the GUI so that these modes can be displayed and selected. This will happen after 0.7 (at this stage).

Not sure how interesting a 'flood' mode would be - we already have support to display water splashes (depending on terrain), but mostly water bits should make the karts drive slower --> more boring, unless we add 'something' (alternative ways to avoid flooded areas, or attachments that help with that, ...). Some flooding to make driving more challenging would certainly be interesting.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby KroArtem » 31 Aug 2010, 09:21

And what about this:
You've got a track which is going up, and the idea is not to be captured by water (for example, if you're rescued when you fall in water, you're disqualified\ have your place). So who will come first and don't fall in the water would be the first, who falls practically at the start, is the last and so on. Oh, and I forgot to say that water should rise up so you need to move fast :)
Speaking about reversed tracks and day\night I can suggest the following:
When you choose a kart, there is a list where are checkboxes like day\night mode, reverse the track etc, where you can choose more that one option. In fact it is practically what Joerg said. :)
KroArtem

Postby chaorace » 31 Aug 2010, 13:21

It's pretty cool to know that even our small community is bursting with ideas waiting to be heard!
I think I'll post an ideas topic now ok?
chaorace

Postby hiker » 01 Sep 2010, 00:28

KroArtem {l Wrote}:And what about this:
You've got a track which is going up, and the idea is not to be captured by water (for example, if you're rescued when you fall in water, you're disqualified\ have your place). So who will come first and don't fall in the water would be the first, who falls practically at the start, is the last and so on. Oh, and I forgot to say that water should rise up so you need to move fast :)

Which is what MK Wii does in one of the battle tracks. Not sure that it would work in a race, but it would work very well in a battle map (basically forcing all karts to come together at one place for a final showdown ;) ).

Speaking about reversed tracks and day\night I can suggest the following:
When you choose a kart, there is a list where are checkboxes like day\night mode, reverse the track etc, where you can choose more that one option. In fact it is practically what Joerg said. :)

Basically yes, though I am not sure if checkboxes would work, since I would expect that each 'mode' would need more modelling work (e.g. night mode might change more than just the sky box). So it might be that we don't have all combinations which we could select with check boxes. So perhaps just simple arrows to the left/right might work. But as I have said, this has to wait till after 0.7, we have to stay focused on fixing bugs and doing a release.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby chaorace » 02 Sep 2010, 03:35

a better way to handle it would be to have say example track separate from night_example track. It is the same track with the mods (as explained earlier) but they are treated as different files
chaorace

Postby hiker » 03 Sep 2010, 00:38

chaorace {l Wrote}:a better way to handle it would be to have say example track separate from night_example track. It is the same track with the mods (as explained earlier) but they are treated as different files

Yes, that's the other obvious solution, but it makes the track listing even longer, so it takes more time to find a specific track.

It's not so much a technical issue as in how to do it, more like "What's the best way in terms of user interface".

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby chaorace » 03 Sep 2010, 01:30

Easy use a folder system:
On track select lets say you pick tux tollway

then It opens another menu with modes ( but really different tracks)

select a "mode" and start up the track
chaorace