Ethanon 2D game engine

Re: Ethanon 2D game engine

Postby svenskmand » 25 Jul 2010, 11:22

Any updates about this awesome project?
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 18 Aug 2010, 22:11

Hopefully this project is still alive? It looks truly amazing :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby andresan87 » 26 Aug 2010, 01:06

svenskmand {l Wrote}:Hopefully this project is still alive? It looks truly amazing :)

Fortunately, it is not dead. I've been commiting to the code repository and posting to the e-mail group quite often. By the way, I have just released the version 0.7.9 for beta tests. Soon it will be available in the project’s SourceForge download section.

As I said before, due to my course paper, I don’t have much time to work on the Linux/Mac port of the engine at the moment, but I’ve been working on it little by little and I promise it for the first semester of 2011.

Please, help me spreading about ethanon engine on your blogs, websites, etc. :)
andresan87

Postby svenskmand » 26 Aug 2010, 22:46

andresan87 {l Wrote}:
svenskmand {l Wrote}:Hopefully this project is still alive? It looks truly amazing :)

Fortunately, it is not dead. I've been commiting to the code repository and posting to the e-mail group quite often. By the way, I have just released the version 0.7.9 for beta tests. Soon it will be available in the project’s SourceForge download section.

As I said before, due to my course paper, I don’t have much time to work on the Linux/Mac port of the engine at the moment, but I’ve been working on it little by little and I promise it for the first semester of 2011.

Wonderful, looking forward to seeing this engine in action in a game :)
andresan87 {l Wrote}:Please, help me spreading about ethanon engine on your blogs, websites, etc. :)

Will do :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Julius » 26 Aug 2010, 22:56

andresan87 {l Wrote}:Please, help me spreading about ethanon engine on your blogs, websites, etc. :)

Your engine looks really nice, but until it's starting to turn more into a game I guess it's not something we should feature on FreeGamer. Well maybe if we do a development special again ;)
Keep up the great work though!

P.S.: I posted your video on Polycount... I guess that should give it some good views ;)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby andresan87 » 27 Aug 2010, 07:51

Julius {l Wrote}:

Your engine looks really nice, but until it's starting to turn more into a game I guess it's not something we should feature on FreeGamer. Well maybe if we do a development special again ;)
Keep up the great work though!

P.S.: I posted your video on Polycount... I guess that should give it some good views ;)

It's not turning into a game actually. It has always been a generic engine. In fact, there are no games made with it yet... unfortunately.

Anyway, thanks for the help on spreading it a little. :)
andresan87

Postby charlie » 27 Aug 2010, 11:47

I think if it were working on Linux, we could get a few people together here to create a basic game with it. I know I am interested in working on such a project, however I can't use something that doesn't run on Linux.

Not trying to pressure you one way or another. ;)
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 27 Aug 2010, 12:04

I agree, on OpenGameArt there are probably also a few 2D artists that would like to do something more modern for a change ;) But Linux is pretty much a must around here, in fact I asked the guy who does the awesome 2D Diablo clone OSARE ( http://clintbellanger.net/rpg/ ) here: http://opengameart.org/forumtopic/osare-feedback but people already raised concerns because it isn't Linux compatible (yet).
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby michalg » 27 Aug 2010, 16:03

I think that it would be great engine for doing some arena shooter - like crimsonland or violetland.

I tried to launch it under wine, unfortunately it didn't work.

I think that it would be great idea to make some freegamedev.net community game with ethanon engine. This could help with promotion of ethanon.
michalg

Postby svenskmand » 27 Aug 2010, 20:21

andresan87 {l Wrote}:In fact, there are no games made with it yet... unfortunately.

I do not understand, what is this then? I will give you that it is very simple but it is a game, and it is on you Google code page :S
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby michalg » 27 Aug 2010, 21:32

I think it's some tech demos rather then actual games.
michalg

Postby andresan87 » 28 Aug 2010, 02:15

svenskmand {l Wrote}:
andresan87 {l Wrote}:In fact, there are no games made with it yet... unfortunately.

I do not understand, what is this then? I will give you that it is very simple but it is a game, and it is on you Google code page :S

Sorry, I meant that there are no big projects that use it yet. I should have explained it better. By the way, this is a fan game (wasn't made by me. Just said it because some people think I made it and send me mails asking things about it :D ).
andresan87

Postby michalg » 28 Aug 2010, 07:36

I don't want to be bossy or something, but i think that linux version should be your main priority if you want poeple to use ethanon.

It's because of fact that windows users/programmers have much such programs/engines for creating games. There is for example gamemaker, mmf, also glbasic http://www.glbasic.com which now is free for non-commercial uses. So IMHO basically your project hasn't much to offer for them - unfortunately. Also, windows users don't care much if they will use software which is freeware (like glbasic) or open source.

On the other hand linux users lacks such softwares. There is love, which uses lua - look how many people are using it http://love2d.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=5 - i'm not sure it would be so much popular without linux support.

So i think that ethanon could find a niche among linux users. After (hopefully) they will create some good games which could also be run on windows, maybe some windows users will notice them and see that they were make in ethanon engine. After all what is engine without games that could promote it?

It's all my opinion of course - feel free to disagree with me.
michalg

Postby andresan87 » 31 Aug 2010, 02:09

I agree with every word you said. Actually, a cross-platform version is my priority at the time. Sure I'm still working on minor fixes and addings but the next big thing is the Linux version.
andresan87

Postby Julius » 31 Aug 2010, 09:20

Cool, hopefully we will see some great games based on it then.

Asking as a more or less non-programmer... how "generic" is the implementation, would it be possible to "port" an existing 2D game to it easily, or would all the game code have to be rewritten in Anglescript (c-like language?)?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby andresan87 » 31 Aug 2010, 14:27

Julius {l Wrote}:Cool, hopefully we will see some great games based on it then.

Asking as a more or less non-programmer... how "generic" is the implementation, would it be possible to "port" an existing 2D game to it easily, or would all the game code have to be rewritten in Anglescript (c-like language?)?

It would be very hard in most cases :(
andresan87

Postby michalg » 31 Aug 2010, 16:42

Also i think that it would be good idea if sometime you will get ethanon a forum.

One possibility would be to create a subforum here :)
michalg

Postby andresan87 » 01 Sep 2010, 14:23

michalg {l Wrote}:Also i think that it would be good idea if sometime you will get ethanon a forum.

One possibility would be to create a subforum here :)

I think it's a little bit soon for that :)
andresan87

Postby michalg » 01 Sep 2010, 17:43

GUYS !!!!!!!!!!!!

I have just launched ethanon sample project in wine !!! :D On crappy intel IGP (on laptop) it has 30 fps :)

Also i successfully started editor, but haven't tried doing something with it.

Basically that means, that we can start playing with it while waiting for native linux version :)

As for running under wine, i tried it in 1.3.1 (latest version) and downloaded native d3dx9_42.dll from http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-f ... l?d3dx9_42 and switched it to native in winecfg.
michalg

Postby Sauer2 » 01 Sep 2010, 21:26

Runs very good with the dx fake library and Wine stable 1.1.42. :) Pretty good programming job, andresan! Still can't wait to see that running native on opengl-supporting systems. :heart:
Sauer2

Postby svenskmand » 01 Sep 2010, 22:37

So andresan87 you are developing both Ethanon - the 2D game engine - and GameSpaceLib a multimedia library at the same time? You really understand how to get yourself busy :) But thumbs up all the way :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby andresan87 » 02 Sep 2010, 15:47

svenskmand {l Wrote}:So andresan87 you are developing both Ethanon - the 2D game engine - and GameSpaceLib a multimedia library at the same time? You really understand how to get yourself busy :) But thumbs up all the way :)

More or less. GameSpaceLib is just the audio/video/input wrapper for EE, right now it is a kind of dead project for me at the moment. It has been completely redesigned and EE will no longer depend on it to compile. I changed it's design specially because of the cross platform version. It needed a more modular and robust design to accept a stable OpenGL implementation.

PS.: the new GSlib (which I'm calling gs2d) is not on GSlib's repository because it will be part of EE. Soon it will be there.
andresan87

Postby Sauer2 » 02 Sep 2010, 18:09

BTW: I noticed a bug in the demogame, I'm not sure if you already fixed it: shadows can go through other objects.
Sauer2

Postby andresan87 » 02 Sep 2010, 18:27

If you mean the "breaks" on some shadows, it's not actually a bug. It's a known issue that happens sometimes because of the rendering order that is determined by the spatial hashing. I choose not to "fix" it because it could make some scenes too expensive for the processor.
andresan87

Postby Sauer2 » 02 Sep 2010, 19:00

I mean this:
Bildschirmfoto.png
Sauer2