This is just a suggestion...

This is just a suggestion...

Postby Nokes » 01 Jan 2010, 07:54

While I love Super Tux Kart to pieces, because it is very fun and very free, I think that the game needs to grab your attention. Maybe have an opening sequence, or animate the actual characters. When they get hit they shake it off, and show them throwing an item, if you play Mario Kart Double Dash!! Half the fun is watching the character react to everything!
Nokes

Re: This is just a suggestion...

Postby Auria » 01 Jan 2010, 19:07

Hi Nokes,

such support is beginning to become possible with our port to a new 3D engine for 0.7. Turning animations were already submitted, though unfortunately they aren't too visible in-games. As more animations are provided we can think about integrating more and more of them
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Nokes » 02 Jan 2010, 01:07

so is there anyway i can help?
Nokes

Postby hiker » 02 Jan 2010, 14:06

Nokes {l Wrote}:so is there anyway i can help?

Certainly - we are always looking for more developers/artists. In what area would you like to help us out?

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby qubodup » 02 Jan 2010, 23:35

There is a ToDo but hopefully someone will be able to recommend some tasks to you after reading your introduction ;)

hiker {l Wrote}:In what area would you like to help us out?
They introduced themselves in viewtopic.php?f=20&t=22&p=564#p564.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby hiker » 04 Jan 2010, 04:05

qubodup {l Wrote}:

hiker {l Wrote}:In what area would you like to help us out?
They introduced themselves in viewtopic.php?f=20&t=22&p=564#p564.

Ah - should have had a look there first - sorry.

Well, while we can always use people programming, I think what STK urgently needs are good tracks. I mean not only good looking ones, but tracks that are interesting, challenging. With the upcoming 0.7 we will support animations for the tracks, so there should be many more ways of making tracks more fun to drive in. It's hard to pinpoint what exactly make a good track, but if you have a look at the 'big brother' (MK Wii) you can see that often they have sometimes very simple tracks (simple figure 8 or circles), but add a lot of stuff to make the tracks more interesting - objects that move (in the way of the karts), ramps, ... Many of those things can already be supported (e.g. slowdown depending on terrain, zippers, ramps), and we are happy to add/improve things if something is needed (if we have the time for it). The subject of interesting track ideas (not so much design, more general ideas what makes a track interesting) would be worth a thread on its own :)

We hope to release a first alpha version of stk 0.7 soon, in order to give artists the opportunity to port/create more tracks.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby asciimonster » 05 Jan 2010, 14:13

hiker {l Wrote}:(...), I think what STK urgently needs are good tracks. (...) It's hard to pinpoint what exactly make a good track, but if you have a look at the 'big brother' (MK Wii) you can see that often they have sometimes very simple tracks (simple figure 8 or circles), but add a lot of stuff to make the tracks more interesting - objects that move (in the way of the karts), ramps, ...

Making the sort of daunting kart-world interactions (hehehe ;) ) requires a lot of testing and test-playing. When the new version arrives I'm sure we'll all start letting our imagination run wild... :)
asciimonster

Postby Nokes » 09 Jan 2010, 01:07

well i could start making a few test animations, should i use Blender or Irlicht? (I've never used Irlicht though :p )
Nokes

Postby Auria » 09 Jan 2010, 01:30

Nokes {l Wrote}:well i could start making a few test animations, should i use Blender or Irlicht? (I've never used Irlicht though :p )

Blender, definitely. We can care about the irrlicht part. (Hiker might have more info about the details)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby hiker » 10 Jan 2010, 11:49

Auria {l Wrote}:
Nokes {l Wrote}:well i could start making a few test animations, should i use Blender or Irlicht? (I've never used Irlicht though :p )

Blender, definitely. We can care about the irrlicht part. (Hiker might have more info about the details)

Yes, blender - we have export scripts then for karts and tracks. And if you do models for stk's use, e.g. a rescue model which we still need), use the b3d exporter.

I'll post more details in a few days, we are getting close to an alpha release I hope.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby Nokes » 12 Jan 2010, 04:54

no problem! just to let you know, i'm not much of a programmer, but i can animate
Nokes