Only see ?? for zh_TW translations

Re: Only see ?? for zh_TW translations

Postby Arthur » 13 Aug 2010, 17:11

Sorry - my fault. Here you are; the font is in 28px size; let me know if you want it smaller.
By the way, I have not tested it, but presumably it should work.

Any of our Chinese friends here know if there are Simplified Chinese characters in this font as well? If so, we could tell people to use this font only for Chinese, and do without the Simplified Chinese font.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Auria » 14 Aug 2010, 00:21

I think you forgot to attach the file ;)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Franklin » 14 Aug 2010, 05:48

Auria {l Wrote}:I think you forgot to attach the file ;)

He gave the link.

And this font should have simplified Chinese fonts as well.
Franklin

Postby acme_pjz » 14 Aug 2010, 06:55

The cwTexKai doesn't work well on Simplified Chinese. There are two problems: the first is some Simplified Chinese characters don't display at all, the second is some Simplified Chinese characters' shapes in China mainland are differ from Taiwan :| so I think players in China mainland will not agree to use such a font :|
Some of my open source games on GitHub
acme_pjz

Postby Arthur » 14 Aug 2010, 11:16

Franklin {l Wrote}:
Auria {l Wrote}:I think you forgot to attach the file ;)

He gave the link.

Yeah, I had problems with attaching it on the forum.
Seems like we have to keep both fonts then.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Auria » 15 Aug 2010, 01:00

Thanks for the conversion Arthur.

Now the main problem is that it was mentionned this font draws characters in a way that only works in Taiwan. That's annoying, since we may also receive some traditional chinese translation, but from China :(
Currently STK doesn't have what it takes to use different fonts depending on the locale. Not sure how to fix this. Is there a way to use a font that would please everyone?
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Franklin » 15 Aug 2010, 06:23

Auria {l Wrote}:Thanks for the conversion Arthur.

Now the main problem is that it was mentionned this font draws characters in a way that only works in Taiwan. That's annoying, since we may also receive some traditional chinese translation, but from China :(
Currently STK doesn't have what it takes to use different fonts depending on the locale. Not sure how to fix this. Is there a way to use a font that would please everyone?

About traditional Chinese translation, since there are community members in Taiwan that can handle this, please use our working results.
(I've sent something before. Have you accepted that? And could we have the permission to commit our translation directly?)

About font, maybe you can try to use either font to test for both traditional and simplified Chinese first. For example, acme_pjz mentioned that some Simplified Chinese characters don't display using cwTexKai. I don't know if they contain any character used in the simplified Chinese. Also, how about using simplified Chinese fonts to test with traditional Chinese messages? We don't care which font to use. We'd just like to show Chinese messages on STK properly.
Franklin

Postby acme_pjz » 15 Aug 2010, 07:47

I'll try wqyMicroHei, but first I want to know how to configure Irrlicht font export tool to export all character that font file have ...
acme_pjz

Postby acme_pjz » 15 Aug 2010, 08:58

I found there're some bugs in Irrlicht font exporting tools which cause some characters can't get exported ... the most serious bug is :

in CFontTool.cpp
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
         // loop through each glyph and write its size and position
         for (s32 ch=current->wcLow; ch< current->wcLow + current->cGlyphs; ch++)
         {
            wchar_t currentchar = ch;

/* if ( IsDBCSLeadByte((BYTE) ch))   // <---- comment this code!!!!!!
               continue; // surragate pairs unsupported */
acme_pjz

Postby acme_pjz » 15 Aug 2010, 09:39

I successfully export wqyMicroHei 24pt fonts ... it's incredibly large, 156 pictures :o including Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese and Japanese and Korean characters ... download link is http://code.google.com/p/turningpolyhedron/downloads/detail?name=fonts.7z&can=1&q=

[EDIT] If you want I can write a tool to export used characters only ;)
Last edited by acme_pjz on 15 Aug 2010, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.
acme_pjz

Postby acme_pjz » 15 Aug 2010, 09:51

Some screenshots:

Simplified Chinese:

1.png

2.png

Traditional Chinese:

3.png

4.png
acme_pjz

Postby Arthur » 15 Aug 2010, 09:58

A little tip: use 512x512 for picture size; this should hopefully decrease the amount of them.
Arthur

Postby acme_pjz » 15 Aug 2010, 10:03

I already set the image size to 512x512 :|
acme_pjz

Postby Arthur » 15 Aug 2010, 12:56

Ah, OK, sorry. Didn't check it.
Arthur

Postby Auria » 15 Aug 2010, 16:05

Franklin: I suggest you register to our project at Launchpad, there you can submit your translation and work on it by yourself
Also, is the font submitted by acme_pjz suitable for you? If this font also works for Taiwan Chinese then we can think of using only this font

acme_pjz: thanks for the font, will take a look at it. Sadly the download is huge, so we would ship this font as part of a separate download and not in the main download; but since this font contains several alphabets not all images would get loaded into the VRAM so it should be workable by the GPU
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Franklin » 15 Aug 2010, 16:11

Auria {l Wrote}:Franklin: I suggest you register to our project at Launchpad, there you can submit your translation and work on it by yourself
Also, is the font submitted by acme_pjz suitable for you? If this font also works for Taiwan Chinese then we can think of using only this font

I'll do it tomorrow since it's very late here. You can use this font for traditional Chinese first and we'll see if there is any character that can not be shown.

Do I have to download the newest version to test for this? I may need some instructions for this.

Thanks for your work.
Franklin

Postby Auria » 15 Aug 2010, 18:25

Currently adding the font in STK is not trivial; one would need to add the .png files to /data/font/ but also merge the .xml file of that font with the existing xml file of our current fonts. The best bet is probably to just open the files inside the font zip and check if the characters look fine to you (if that's feasible with chinese...)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 15 Aug 2010, 18:35

By the way, I registered an account at Launchpad, and I can't get the old Simplified Chinese translation file "LKS" migrated because invalid e-mail address (lks@lks.com , it's only a joke :| ) , so can I join the translations using new name?
acme_pjz

Postby acme_pjz » 15 Aug 2010, 18:38

Auria {l Wrote}:Currently adding the font in STK is not trivial; one would need to add the .png files to /data/font/ but also merge the .xml file of that font with the existing xml file of our current fonts. The best bet is probably to just open the files inside the font zip and check if the characters look fine to you (if that's feasible with chinese...)

No, you can just simply replace "StkFont.xml" with new xml files ;) The sideeffect is English letters' shapes are changed, too :)
acme_pjz

Postby Auria » 15 Aug 2010, 20:38

acme, can you describe the problem more precisely? I'm not sure I understand it
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 16 Aug 2010, 13:11

I mean when I upload the po files the author writes "LKS", can it changed to "acme_pjz" ?
acme_pjz

Postby xapantu » 16 Aug 2010, 14:37

Here : https://translations.launchpad.net/stk/trunk/+pots/supertuxkart/zh_CN/+translate ?
Contributors to this translation: Xhacker Liu, acme_pjz, lks.

It works ?

Auria: (I started to say that on irc but you leaves too early :) ) Launchpad put automatically all the translator names to a string called "translator-credits". We should add this string to the .pot file and use it in the CREDITS screen ?
xapantu

Postby xapantu » 23 Aug 2010, 15:19

So, a screenshot of the Launchpad system for credits (for the current translation):
Attachments
Capture-Fenêtre sans nom.png
xapantu

Postby Auria » 23 Aug 2010, 17:00

Thanks xapantu.

Franklin: progress on this is on hold until you can tell me if the from provided by acme_pjz contains characters that are fine for taiwan chinese
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby MCMic » 23 Aug 2010, 18:00

xapantu {l Wrote}:So, a screenshot of the Launchpad system for credits (for the current translation):

Wow, cool :D

About the strings to translate, there shouldn't be both "Name: %i" and "Name:", you should separate "Name:" and "%i" in the code, no?

Also, I don't know how to do nbsp with my keyboard map, is that a problem? In french we normally put an nbsp instead of a space between "Nom" and ":" (in english you don't even put a space, actually ^^).
MCMic