We will use your concept/models in Open Dungeons

We will use your concept/models in Open Dungeons

Postby Danimal » 02 Apr 2014, 12:38

Hello, I just wanted to tell you we will be using some of your concepts and maybe 3d models as creatures in Open dungeons on the near future. I wish you dont mind and we can both benefit from this, of course you will be properly credited, i know i can search for it, but what is your license on concepts AND models?
Also, you seem to have been inactive for some time, i hope the project is still going well.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Re: We will use your concept/models in Open Dungeons

Postby Dread Knight » 20 Apr 2014, 05:31

That's great news actually :-) Here you can find licensing info https://github.com/FreezingMoon/AncientBeast#license
Regarding licensing, I'm usually concerned about getting a link to the project website, if it's as a banner somewhere visible, even better.
Soon I'll probably have a credits page, but not totally sure if I'll be super specific regarding who did what, but you can always ask me.
Let me know if there's any progress with having Ancient Beast stuff into Open Dungeons as it's been a few weeks by now, though open source indie game development is usually somewhat slow xD

Been rather inactive as I moved alone and I don't really have much money or a steady income, so I'm a bit stressed out. Had too many distractions from my parents and 3 buildings were being made right by my window...
I can't afford a part-time coder anymore so progress on the gameplay is going very slow, there are game-breaking bugs and I even had to disable some of the playable creatures recently, so I trimmed down to something more stable.
Anyway, I'm putting a lot of effort in making the website faster by optimizing and even moving to a better server, so been learning a lot and researching as I can't afford something expensive.
Also learning javascript and phaser.io so that hopefully I'll be able to get better at coding the gameplay myself in case I won't get funding or find someone to help out with that.

Regarding 2d/3d artwork, I was even considered if visual progress would be going way better if I was to focus on a pixel art version of the game, as that will have a few advantages:
- there is a lower barrier overall
- requires less powerful hardware
- can be easier to animate and tweak units
- there are plenty of good pixel art editors
- the game would be smaller in size
- the game would require less memory
- game would be more mobile device friendly
Down the road if there's enough interest, I do hope for a fully 3d version of the game, which will require the 3d models, this would also unlock possibility for AR and VR modes.
AncientBeast.com - Battle other players by materializing and controlling awesome creatures, each having unique abilities!
FM Patreon page - Support the free open source game development foundation and creation of high quality free assets!
Dread Knight
AB Moderator

Postby Danimal » 20 Apr 2014, 11:39

Thanks for your answers Dread, whatever the path the game takes please keep the 3d models available to everyone, im amazed on how low poli and good looking they are, im gonna learn a thing or two dealing with them. Also, dont worry, ill give proper credit to your project.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Dread Knight » 20 Apr 2014, 11:49

No worries, will definitely keep the 3d models. Some of the models were done by me, I'm pretty proficient when it comes to low poly organic modeling, but I usually don't sculpt the models or texture them. Might pick up the habit of modeling units again and posting my progress online, unwrapping, texturing and even animating them this time in order to gain some fans and such. We really need some animations in the game after all. Gonna see what's the status with Flare project, as they were planning on using some of the units as well, would be great if they have some blender 3d artists as well to share the workload.

I kinda waited for Disney's Ptex to get integrated into blender3d and just texture without worrying about unwrapping and such since it's annoying to do so and for Ancient Beast we don't really need that stuff since we'll prerender into sprite sheets for the 2d version at least, while for 3d version I can assume there could be a bake to autogenerated UV coordinates.

We should keep in touch on IRC or something and collaborate better, maybe your 3d artists are hanging in your project's channel as well? I'm not too familiar with Dungeon Keeper and less with Open Dungeons atm, but I'll look a bit more into them soon :D
AncientBeast.com - Battle other players by materializing and controlling awesome creatures, each having unique abilities!
FM Patreon page - Support the free open source game development foundation and creation of high quality free assets!
Dread Knight
AB Moderator

Postby Danimal » 20 Apr 2014, 20:15

We are 3 artist at the moment, skorpio, elvano and I. Skorpio is busy with his own models, elvano is doing architecture for now (and our new homepage) and i wont say no to anything that is usable with a bit of work and has good quality.

Ill problaby start texturing the dark priest since he looks easy, skorpio will problably fine-tune and animate it (i suck at animation)
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Dread Knight » 21 Apr 2014, 00:03

Danimal {l Wrote}:We are 3 artist at the moment, skorpio, elvano and I. Skorpio is busy with his own models, elvano is doing architecture for now (and our new homepage) and i wont say no to anything that is usable with a bit of work and has good quality.

Ill problaby start texturing the dark priest since he looks easy, skorpio will problably fine-tune and animate it (i suck at animation)

Understood. I visited the website and noticed there's a new one planned, about that, there's a guy from around here called Chris, great guy that's pretty skilled, doing websites for open source games as his portfolio. He got in touch with me a while ago but when it comes to website I tend to do my own stuff, but maybe you could use his expertise instead, he's using skype. Check out his thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4752&p=49006&hilit=ancient+beast#p49006

Yeah, Dark Priest is definitely high priority on the list for AB. The model done by n-pigeon is simple amazing. He deviated a bit from the original concept, but he improved on it. I really like it when creative freedom like that pushes the design even further :)

You should really join wuala (referral link with extra space) http://www.wuala.com/referral/CGN5J6GH3PBBBHCGKJ3P and the project group if you haven't done so already http://www.wuala.com/AncientBeast - it lets you browse the assets easier / fav / comment / and even contribute if the case :D
Dread Knight
AB Moderator

Postby Danimal » 21 Apr 2014, 20:12

Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Dread Knight » 21 Apr 2014, 23:47

Danimal {l Wrote}:doesnt this fit your game?
http://opengameart.org/content/angler-man-3d

Yeah, I think it does :) I knew about the artwork but not the model, I usually don't have high hopes of finding usable stuff on OGA tbh, only grabbed small stuff like a button or two from there so far, but I'll probably use this if I figure out the realm and a current unit to postpone for next set since this unit has really nice progress. Oh... and figure out 4 abilities for it as well, hopefully that fit with already existing icons from the set, will start looking into that, cheers!
Dread Knight
AB Moderator

Postby Danimal » 24 Apr 2014, 13:37

WOW, my good sir, you have quite the cool collection of concepts, im totally pillaging it without remorse, i also wanna have this Katarzina babies, whoever it is, is really talented.

Was this the female dark priest concept? but it confuses me a bit, its the girl on front or the crested one behind?

The dark elf also looks great
Attachments
female_dark_priest_by_izxo(1).png
Dark%20elf%20by%20Katarzyna%20Zalecka.jpg
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Dread Knight » 25 Apr 2014, 02:21

Hehe, she's the ideal type of girl for me, but the dude who was speaking with her even before me managed to snatched her :\
Help yourself :) It's the concept on the left, but it's not an official one, just fanart. The one on the right is some random Elf that was done way before the project had a clear goal.
I know how to find artists apparently and there's plenty more artwork to come, no doubt about it. My struggle is regarding gameplay code atm and funding, so I'm working hard to address those issues.

Btw, noticed you dropped by #freegamer asking about OD channel. You can "/join #opendungeos", there's also #AncientBeast and plenty more ;-)
Really need to get the channel populated, otherwise I might move to another server.
Dread Knight
AB Moderator

Postby Danimal » 25 Apr 2014, 02:30

she´s way too ninja fo my taste, not dignified enougth. I guess ill wait till a better concept is done
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Dread Knight » 25 Apr 2014, 02:50

Should maybe aim for something more like Morticia Addams or Miss Creeper. Need to make a competition of some sorts in a drawing group/community probably.
Dread Knight
AB Moderator

Postby Danimal » 25 Apr 2014, 17:29

Wip picture (normals and ambient oclusion over the low poli body). I made some small changes to the mesh, got confused by the 2 different pics (used the old crown), but i think the result is good
Attachments
wip.png
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Dread Knight » 26 Apr 2014, 00:40

Looks good, can't wait to see him textured :) At first I thought you would be focusing on the other more detailed version done by n-pigeon. Yeah, he did some modifications to the design, like added more interesting helmet and didn't used the belt anymore, which I always thought it was too high in the original one. With time we'll probably have different types of Dark Priests, as ranks or alternate skins. I think the overall negative shape will always make them recognizable.
Dread Knight
AB Moderator

Postby Danimal » 26 Apr 2014, 13:06

Thats some amazingly well done model, but not much usable in any modest game-engine/computer-rig. It would require a lot of retopo, which im not very familiar with, for now ill get ready the low poli version. Maybe in the future ill have a go at it
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Dread Knight » 26 Apr 2014, 19:23

Indeed, it's about 1.6 million triangles and not even removing all the subd/multires modifiers would get it in shape. Would require a retopo/bake, which seems to be the new prefered workflow in the industry nowadays https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL75R0K_j7g
Heh, it's pretty often that artists will leave work unfinished or not really usable, hopefully someday I'll have the money to just pay people to get things done, at least for half the stuff or do things myself, though for now my hdd is failing and I'm stressing over it. Gotta look more into 0.A.D. I guess and see how they actually get so many models actually done, though they're probably low poly and less focused on in-game usually. Perhaps they're not even all about using blender and can work with more people. One of the reasons I was considering focusing on pixel art xD Anyway, will try to retopo/unwrap/bake/texture the more detailed Dark Priest myself pretty soon or poke n-pigeon.
Dread Knight
AB Moderator