Suggesitions for challenges, boost

Suggesitions for challenges, boost

Postby Wuzzy » 28 Oct 2013, 09:28

Okay, I like to see that much of the suggested stuff about challenge mode have been implemented. :)
First of all, the new scoring system is much better than the previous one. Getting a good score is now actually a challenge and not just trivial. I think this scoring system could stay and I think this change was an important one.
The rewards system which came along is also a huge improvement.

The car selection is exactly how I imagined it, based on certain cars and car classes and you can’t switch the car in the middle.
The user interface for this is just a bit confusing for this. You have to go to the cars tab to select a new car but if you click “Start” on this one, the challenge won’t start. You have to go back to the challenge tab again. Even although I know how it works, I mess up many times. I have no ideas to make it better at the moment; does anybody else have a suggestion on how to fix this?

I think multi-lap races are flawed in both modes. I don’t understand how it actually works but it seems to me the only lap which counts is the last one. That woudn’t not make much sense to drive the previous rounds then, after all.
When I suggested multi-lap challenges/championship, I actually meant the score should depend on the total race time, not just any lap time. It follows that also the ghosts would have to be aligned. A lap record ghost would be just wrong here, it must be of course a challenge ghost which drives under the conditions of the challenge. Alternatively, if no such ghost exists yet, maybe the game could calculate an estimation based on the lap ghost.

Now here come my random suggestions along:
I suggest:
  • Introduce more configuration parameters for boost (in challenges/championships)
    • New boost mode: Give boost only at the start of the race
    • New boost mode: Give boost each checkpoint
    • Configurable maximum amount of boost
    • Configurable amount of boost you start with (either directly or based on track length)
    • Configurable amount of boost you get per lap/time/whatever (depends on mode)
    The reason for this is that a fixed amount of 3.0 boost is not very good, especially because Stunt Rally has a broad range of long and short tracks

I also think the challenge mode is too similar to championship mode. The only realy difference is that challenge has cups whereas championship has a score at the end. Other than that, I could not spot any real difference between the two.
I suggest this to make a difference:
  • From now on, a challenge is defined as a single race under certain conditions. The existing multi-race challenges should be moved to championship mode.
  • And a championhsip is defined as a series of races under certain conditions.

I don’t think cups belong to challenges; I suggest to replace them with medals. The cups could move the championship mode. It makes more sense this way. It’s just a cosmetic change. ;)
Wuzzy

Re: Thoughts and suggesitions of challenge mode

Postby CryHam » 31 Oct 2013, 16:40

Cool. Thanks for comments.
No. Whole race time is used when there are more than 1 lap (quite rarely in challs though).
I was thinking of adding a param (slider) with additional laps or multiplier, for champs/challs, but it would complicate progress saving (if it should be separate for those settings).

Well yeah I agree with boost, on long tracks it feels like nothing, and for small tracks 3sec is too much, although may help to get out of trees, this was probably the first use for it.
But I kind of don't want to code all that settings, who would use them all, and it would clutter gui. Maybe just making boost fuel dependent from track lenght ? Eg. 1 km = 1 sec of boost ?

Hmm, I can't agree with championships being similar to challenges, hmm surely they look close in Gui but:
- In champs there is no game setup at all, you can change everything, also in between tracks. Champ is just a group of tracks, nothing more. And there are usually quite many tracks in them. (But not in Tutorials, hmm which imo should be done as challs probably now).
- In challs, you have a setting for nearly everything from Game and Setup tabs (see config/challenges.xml), whole game is set, most (or all) are normal sim, no abs or tcs, no chk arrow or beam. Challs are shorter (just few tracks) but have quite strict passing conditions. While in champs you nearly just need to finish a track to progress.
I don't have medals, so cup pics are used for both, I like them. Surely I can imagine some better 2D art for SR though.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Wuzzy » 31 Oct 2013, 23:44

Okay, thanks for the answer.

I wasn’t really aware of the differences. The differences are not really obvious, even when you play it.

Track-length based boost sounds good.
Wuzzy

Postby CryHam » 22 Mar 2014, 00:28

Ok. New boost parameters done on master.
Now 5 gui sliders for boost: force (power), min start fuel, max fuel, start fuel per track km (boost each lap), add fuel per 1 sec (boost over time).
CryHam
SR Moderator

Re: Suggesitions for challenges, boost

Postby Wuzzy » 06 Apr 2014, 17:39

This is amazing! I like it a lot now to play around with all the parameters in quick race, even (or especially?) if they are over-powered.
Sometimes, one simply has to go wild. =)

I can picture even a new kind of challenge here: Crazy challenge. You have large or infinite amounts of boost and no damage. Going full boost all the time without messing everything up may be very difficult, but fun. The challenge here is basically to master a track even at very high speeds.
It would require no more change to the game logic, I could write such a challenge. I would have to playtest this how well this works out or if this idea is just too crazy.
Of course those challenges are not really meant serious but more for fun.
Don’t view this as suggestion, more like a note to myself. ;)
Wuzzy

Re: Suggesitions for challenges, boost

Postby CryHam » 06 Apr 2014, 23:03

True. There is a lot to tweak now.
But for going wild I just use boost: always mode.
I didn't drive any challenges since new boost. Ah and I wanted to decrease boost power to 0.75 by default.
Would be good if you could test if the new settings (max 6 fuel) go still well with challenges (just a few), i.e. if they aren't now suddenly much easier to pass.
I like the idea. If you make a challenge like that I'll check it out and include it (if it's not too difficult, i.e. still cool for me).
CryHam
SR Moderator