FreeGamer blog Twitter account

FreeGamer blog Twitter account

Postby Guest One » 13 Jan 2014, 12:15

Hi,
can you open a FreeGamer Twitter account with all the news from the blog?
It would be very useful.
Guest One

Re: FreeGamer blog Twitter account

Postby Julius » 13 Jan 2014, 13:15

https://twitter.com/FreeGamerBlog

But I guess it is not used that much...
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Guest One » 13 Jan 2014, 13:42

Yes, i know that account, but i don't see blog new articles here.
Guest One

Postby Julius » 13 Jan 2014, 16:18

you can subscribe to the RSS feed of our planet: http://planet.freegamedev.net/
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby qubodup » 15 Jan 2014, 08:02

The twitter should be consolidating the planets. FreeGamer is on one of the planets.

You want a Twitter that only has freegamer posts though?
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Guest One » 15 Jan 2014, 13:28

Yes qubodup, or a Twitter account with your planet http://planet.freegamedev.net/ (freegamer blog is included).
Guest One

Postby gouessej » 03 Apr 2014, 09:40

Why using Twitter whereas Identi.ca is based on StatusNet (under AGPL) and now Pump.io (under Apache license)? Moreover, Twitter isn't free and is a censorship machine. If you bother its friends, your hashtags will disappear. Do what you want but I don't think supporting free software is consistent with the use of Twitter.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
gouessej

Postby Evropi » 03 Apr 2014, 12:32

gouessej {l Wrote}:Why using Twitter whereas Identi.ca is based on StatusNet (under AGPL) and now Pump.io (under Apache license)? Moreover, Twitter isn't free and is a censorship machine. If you bother its friends, your hashtags will disappear. Do what you want but I don't think supporting free software is consistent with the use of Twitter.

Funny you say "censorship machine" when Twitter is precisely known for not deleting things. In fact, the French government applied a daily fine to Twitter because Twitter refused to censor anti-Semites. Not to mention how many national governments are wary of Twitter. Turkey comes to mind, and I think China isn't keen on it either; Weibo is the state-friendly equivalent to Twitter there, much like Baidu is the equivalent of Google.

I was on Identi.ca myself but it died when Google+ was introduced. The remnants of the community disappeared when pump.io was rolled out, which was, and continues to be, an unmitigated disaster.

For what it's worth, Richard Stallman has gone on the record (on Techrights) and said he is okay with Twitter since there's a lot of free software clients it can be accessed and used from.
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Postby gouessej » 03 Apr 2014, 14:08

Evropi {l Wrote}:Funny you say "censorship machine" when Twitter is precisely known for not deleting things.

... which is wrong. Twitter deleted several hashtags about the movement Occupy Wall Street.

Evropi {l Wrote}:In fact, the French government applied a daily fine to Twitter because Twitter refused to censor anti-Semites. Not to mention how many national governments are wary of Twitter. Turkey comes to mind, and I think China isn't keen on it either; Weibo is the state-friendly equivalent to Twitter there, much like Baidu is the equivalent of Google.

The same French government allowed the public and private French TV channels to mention their Twitter accounts without considering this is a kind of dissimulated advertising in favor of Twitter. Turkey is a bad example, only a few members of the AKP really fear Twitter. Twitter serves its own interests and the interests of its partners, it's a corporation after all, there is no charity. You can't install your own Twitter on a server and do what you want with it.

Evropi {l Wrote}:I was on Identi.ca myself but it died when Google+ was introduced. The remnants of the community disappeared when pump.io was rolled out, which was, and continues to be, an unmitigated disaster.

Some features have disappeared, the main public page for example. I still see a lot of people on Identi.ca.

Evropi {l Wrote}:For what it's worth, Richard Stallman has gone on the record (on Techrights) and said he is okay with Twitter since there's a lot of free software clients it can be accessed and used from.

Are you talking about that? http://techrights.org/2014/03/16/richard-stallman-social/

I agree with a lot of his views but I'm not his "bot". Centralized social networks are easier to censor, proprietary social networks aren't only composed of clients and in my humble opinion, his position is rather a kind of abnegation because he decided to use Twitter and he must justify his choice.
gouessej

Postby Evropi » 03 Apr 2014, 23:58

gouessej {l Wrote}:
Evropi {l Wrote}:In fact, the French government applied a daily fine to Twitter because Twitter refused to censor anti-Semites. Not to mention how many national governments are wary of Twitter. Turkey comes to mind, and I think China isn't keen on it either; Weibo is the state-friendly equivalent to Twitter there, much like Baidu is the equivalent of Google.

The same French government allowed the public and private French TV channels to mention their Twitter accounts without considering this is a kind of dissimulated advertising in favor of Twitter. Turkey is a bad example, only a few members of the AKP really fear Twitter. Twitter serves its own interests and the interests of its partners, it's a corporation after all, there is no charity. You can't install your own Twitter on a server and do what you want with it.

So you really think that linking to Twitter accounts should be banned for a private entity? That's setting back years of progress in social media and digital marketing. How would you feel if all the open source projects you use must suddenly take down their Twitter accounts by law? Those too, are firms, and often generate some form of revenue (whether through donations or ads). And they're not in the public sector either.

Also, it's a classic case of false equivalency. The liberals in the West think all Turks are the enemies of the AKP but it still has a strong base of support in Anatolia that will actually swallow the AKP's propaganda. And yeah, of course it serves those interests, but those are not the only stakeholders. These sort of statements are typical of free and open source software communities, reflecting a deep lack of any experience or knowledge about how businesses operate.

gouessej {l Wrote}:
Evropi {l Wrote}:For what it's worth, Richard Stallman has gone on the record (on Techrights) and said he is okay with Twitter since there's a lot of free software clients it can be accessed and used from.

Are you talking about that? http://techrights.org/2014/03/16/richard-stallman-social/

I agree with a lot of his views but I'm not his "bot". Centralized social networks are easier to censor, proprietary social networks aren't only composed of clients and in my humble opinion, his position is rather a kind of abnegation because he decided to use Twitter and he must justify his choice.

That's not the reason he uses it. He only uses it for sites that mandate OpenID but don't allow for a custom OpenID host. Obviously, Twitter's privacy policy is a lot better than Facebook's and Google's.

Of course Twitter is easier to censor, but it is also very effective for getting the word out. It's also used by a lot more 'Technorati' than Facebook is and Twitter is more of a PR tool than a social network (verified by statistics). In other words, just the right people to be getting the word out to and sporting a Twitter account would not be particularly hypocritical on the part of a free and open source software advocate.
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Postby gouessej » 04 Apr 2014, 12:14

Evropi {l Wrote}:So you really think that linking to Twitter accounts should be banned for a private entity? That's setting back years of progress in social media and digital marketing. How would you feel if all the open source projects you use must suddenly take down their Twitter accounts by law? Those too, are firms, and often generate some form of revenue (whether through donations or ads). And they're not in the public sector either.

That's not what I meant. A TV channel should be allowed to use social media but when it mentions its Twitter account as is, it should be legally considered as an advertisement (like any trademark, reserved or not) which is no longer the case in France and it allows TV channels to talk about Twitter inside many programs, it's unfair for its competitors who don't benefit of the same "trick".

Evropi {l Wrote}:Also, it's a classic case of false equivalency. The liberals in the West think all Turks are the enemies of the AKP but it still has a strong base of support in Anatolia that will actually swallow the AKP's propaganda. And yeah, of course it serves those interests, but those are not the only stakeholders. These sort of statements are typical of free and open source software communities, reflecting a deep lack of any experience or knowledge about how businesses operate.

I don't claim to be an expert but I already went into Turkey once, I'm not a "liberal" and I prefer thinking about how companies "should" operate rather than how they currently operate.

Evropi {l Wrote}:That's not the reason he uses it. He only uses it for sites that mandate OpenID but don't allow for a custom OpenID host. Obviously, Twitter's privacy policy is a lot better than Facebook's and Google's.

Of course Twitter is easier to censor, but it is also very effective for getting the word out. It's also used by a lot more 'Technorati' than Facebook is and Twitter is more of a PR tool than a social network (verified by statistics). In other words, just the right people to be getting the word out to and sporting a Twitter account would not be particularly hypocritical on the part of a free and open source software advocate.

Twitter is dropping plans to encrypt direct messages between users (according to The Verge), Twitter is far from being safe. It is effective for getting the word out if and only if you don't bother its interest and it depends on your target. You consider it is less "bad" than Facebook but there are alternatives and I don't see why we should get accustomed with using social media controlled by companies and/or states, centralized, unsafe and based on proprietary softwares especially for someone who claims to be a free and open source software advocate.
gouessej