Having issues with models rigs

Having issues with models rigs

Postby A_W_O_L__ » 27 Dec 2013, 21:31

Hey i already tried asking this question on the blender forums but nobody is very good with the md5 format so i thought i would ask some fellow cube engine modelers. How do you go about your weapon rigs? i have tried to make a rig that is attached to a gun but when i export it and import it into the programs i use for the md5 convertion process the rig gets all messed up.
Torus1.JPG

torus2.JPG

if any of you have had this issue please let me know how to fix. ive been struggling with this problem for some time. Thanks in advance!!!
A_W_O_L__

Re: Having issues with models rigs

Postby Julius » 28 Dec 2013, 13:14

1. Why are you not using the existing md5 exporter for blender directly? That should save you a lot of hassle (note: it only works with an slightly older version of blender, but still better than messing with a totally different program)
2. Why are you using .md5 with a cube2 engine at all? .iqm is better supported both by the engine and blender
3. Did you have a look at the weapons files that come with RE? A while ago I exported alternative weapon models with them via the blender md5 exporter and it worked more or less fine. Can't remember the details though (damn I am getting old ;) ).
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby A_W_O_L__ » 28 Dec 2013, 23:17

Hey Thanks for the reply... i have tried to use the blender md5 exporter but i havent had any luck. i was using it on blender 2.6 and it always throwing errors and would only export sections of my meshes. i wanted to use the iqm exporter but sombody broke the iqm importer in our engine and for some reason they cant get it fixed :\ so im stuck with md5...
no i havent seen the Re models.. got any links?
A_W_O_L__

Postby TristamK » 29 Dec 2013, 10:46

A_W_O_L__ {l Wrote}:no i havent seen the Re models.. got any links?

You can download Red Eclipse and look on it without problems :) .
Sorry for my bad English. Sometimes i use google translator.
The official group of the Cube 2 Sauerbraten and Red Eclipse in vkontakte -> https://vk.com/cube_engine_news - VK support English too ;) . Also you can find all news about Cube 2\Red Eclipse in this group too
Topic with FULL information about Time-Trial . All maps , video , tutorials here . Also here you can see all best times on maps .
My youtube chanel
TristamK

Postby Julius » 29 Dec 2013, 12:05

As far as I can remember you need specifically Blender 2.63 for the exporter to work and the rig needs to have an animation applied.
Did you have a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=82&t=4361

But you should rather kick the guys ass who broke iqm and get him fix it. .md5 sucks compared to .iqm in any way you look at it.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby A_W_O_L__ » 29 Dec 2013, 23:36

You can download Red Eclipse and look on it without problems :) .

Ok thanks ill have to look them over! didnt know they were there.

As far as I can remember you need specifically Blender 2.63 for the exporter to work and the rig needs to have an animation applied.

yea i am running 2.63 for all exporting and i have animation even if its just 1 frame of keyframes i have vertex groups and mat all applied and i have them selected in the order needed to export but always throws an error on mine.

But you should rather kick the guys ass who broke iqm and get him fix it.

XD my thought exactly problem is that im not entirly sure which one of the programers broke it and they all have looked over the code but havent seen nothing wrong with it but i know its broken cuase i can take the same iqm file and import it into sauer no problem. but it gives a "couldnt load Iqm" error in our engine. but not having the iqm importer working correctly is throwing a Major monkey wrench into what i do.
A_W_O_L__

Postby Julius » 30 Dec 2013, 09:50

There has been an update to the .iqm format, so maybe the file you are using has been exported according to that newer version and your engine is only compatible to the older one?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby A_W_O_L__ » 30 Dec 2013, 17:43

Hmm, didnt think of that,, i would hope that my programmers were smart enough to know that but at this point i hope its something as simple as that,,, Thanks a bunch! ill message the team leader asking him if he can carry it on to the programmers,,, ill keep you updated with the results.
A_W_O_L__

Postby A_W_O_L__ » 08 Feb 2014, 20:46

So we have the issue with the not importing iqm figured out turns out we needed to run it through a converter, but now i have another question im makeing a new player model for the game and im trying to figure out how the look up and down animation works, it seems that it only bends the back and head to aim at the area your sight is at but ive looked through the mrfixxit blend and all of the red eclipse player model blends ive also looked through the .cfg files that load the models and cant seem to figure out how it works there is no animation for this (as far as i can tell) does anybody know if it is hard programed into the game? or does anybody know the proper way get it working?
A_W_O_L__

Postby Julius » 08 Feb 2014, 23:24

AFAIK the bone where it is bend is specified somewhere in the config (or maybe the bone has to have a specific name? can't remember), the actual movement according to mouse input obviously has to be done in code and is not an animation.

However these forums are depreciated, see the message about the new Red Eclipse forum. An in general you are probably better off asking on the Sauerbraten forums or one of the Cube2 engine related irc channels.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby qreeves » 09 Feb 2014, 03:24

The commands for controlling the pitch of bones are "iqmpitch", "iqmpitchcorrect", and "iqmpitchtarget". However, this forum is now closed, and I do not wish to encourage further use of it. To continue this discussion please visit: http://redeclipse.net/forum
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves