RESOURCE: Help Wanted

Re: RESOURCE: Help Wanted

Postby Julius » 27 Sep 2013, 06:35

Unnamed {l Wrote}:Here is what I made. The model had 186 verts before exporting and the md5mesh file has 400 verts. It is the first time I exported a model to md5 and it took a hour until it looked like it works.

Yes as quin said, it's probably not worth messing with md5, especially on static meshes. md5 also has the disadvantage that it spilts meshes along the UV islands upon exporting, which I think explains your different vertex counts.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Unnamed » 27 Sep 2013, 09:15

Here is the model as obj file.
If you copy it into the Red Eclipse home directory the md5 jumppad model still will be used.
Attachments
unnamed point.zip
(592.8 KiB) Downloaded 449 times
Unnamed

Postby qreeves » 23 Oct 2013, 06:46

Wanted models for new items: "armour shard", "armour small/regular/large", "health shard", "health small/large/regular".

Notes to those interested:
  • Please do not use a red + (aka "Red Cross" mark), it is trademarked and protected.
  • Try to make them abstract; for example, don't just create a chestplate to symbolise armour. Be creative and science fiction focused, armour could be a shield.
  • These items will be first used in the MekArcade beta (so keep that setting in mind too), followed by an adaption to Red Eclipse after the 1.5 release (new "arena").
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Evropi » 23 Oct 2013, 12:12

It occurs to me that this could be a first step towards that 'competitive' mutator we were discussing. I don't know where you intend to go with this ("new arena"? Huh?) but it could radically change the gameplay if applied to all game-types. I can't wait! :D

qreeves {l Wrote}:Please do not use a red + (aka "Red Cross" mark), it is trademarked and protected.

Possibly, but it is so widely-used across games, works of art and real life that the trademark is as flaky as the trademark for the word "hoover" times a hundred. If challenged in court, it would almost certainly be declared void.

The real problem is that it's not universal; in Muslim countries for instance, it's a red crescent. It wouldn't be apparent to a person from one such place that a red or green cross would be a health pickup.

I don't have neither the artistic nor the technical skill to actually do this, just chiming in with some thoughts if you don't mind.
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Postby qreeves » 23 Oct 2013, 12:49

Evropi {l Wrote}:Possibly, but it is so widely-used across games, works of art and real life that the trademark is as flaky as the trademark for the word "hoover" times a hundred. If challenged in court, it would almost certainly be declared void.

The real problem is that it's not universal; in Muslim countries for instance, it's a red crescent. It wouldn't be apparent to a person from one such place that a red or green cross would be a health pickup.

I don't have neither the artistic nor the technical skill to actually do this, just chiming in with some thoughts if you don't mind.

No, that's great. I seem to remember that Star Trek uses a different symbol for this reason, which is two snakes wrapped around a pillar.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Julius » 23 Oct 2013, 13:33

The Red Cross has actually specifically asked game developers not to use the symbol as (they say) it desensitizes people to the protection value of symbol in real war-times (not that anyone really cared in the conflicts of late about international law and war regulations).
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Evropi » 23 Oct 2013, 13:36

qreeves {l Wrote}:No, that's great. I seem to remember that Star Trek uses a different symbol for this reason, which is two snakes wrapped around a pillar.

Ah, that would the rod of Asclepius. I know of it as my dad's a dentist. Looking at the Wikipedia, it is used as far away from the 'West' as Pakistan, India and South Africa, and above all, the World Health organisation.

After a health shard is made, maybe there should be a cool effect on the health bar too to match it, like a bright snake going through it and the bar rising like I recall in another game (whose name I can't remember).
Evropi

Postby freezurbern » 23 Oct 2013, 16:33

qreeves {l Wrote}:Wanted models for new items: "armour shard", "armour small/regular/large", "health shard", "health small/large/regular".

This is my idea for the armour.
honeycomb-shield1.jpg

It would be a pickup, with perhaps a bar or star on it showing it's level (small/regular/large). Maybe this will help inspire something.
Red Eclipse username: skiingpenguins
freezurbern

Postby greaserpirate » 24 Oct 2013, 04:33

Is there going to be limited ammo? That and limited health could be the missing link for singleplayer.

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
greaserpirate

Postby quintux_v » 24 Oct 2013, 06:47

Just some ideas, esp. for MekArcade:

-fuel can, for health, or maybe there's limited fuel (maybe even impulse energy)
-body armor, as in metal plates (e.g. shoulder plates, etc). I realize we shouldn't be looking at body armor, like said, but for mechas, this comes to mind.
-when I hear "shard," I'm thinking like a floating crystal, maybe with a similar shader scheme to those plants that cdxbow once made (http://quadropolis.us/node/3327)
a little along the lines of this:
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Postby Unnamed » 24 Oct 2013, 16:48

freezurbern {l Wrote}:This is my idea for the armour.
The attachment honeycomb-shield1.jpg is no longer available

something like this?
screenshot.0011.jpg
Unnamed

Postby TheLastProject » 24 Oct 2013, 17:36

I must say that I kinda dig that armour. It has this S4-League-ish feeling to it (although that game knows no armour system the last time I checked, so it can't be a rip-off) which I quite enjoy and think fits Red Eclipse fairly well. I'm not completely sure about some details, but I have no clue how to put this feeling into words. I'm going to assume it'll look somewhat smaller anyway when in-game, so small issues in details won't be so obvious.
Hats, Afros, wings and raptor feet. This game is showing progress indeed.
TheLastProject

Postby Ulukai » 25 Oct 2013, 09:10

I like it as well. Dunno if it's possible to make the blue part a little bit more dynamic (moving parts or an animation) but the shape and looks are nice.
Ulukai

Postby qreeves » 25 Oct 2013, 13:07

Well, using texture material colouring, I can probably make it flash any colours we want using the code. I already did it to the point model Unnamed made for us before (if you notice, the lights on it are actually the colour of the flag it holds).
qreeves

Postby Unnamed » 25 Oct 2013, 14:04

I made the grid wider. It still disappears if you are too far away, but it shouldnt be a problem if the item will have glow like other items.

edit:
I made two more shields. A smaller and a larger one (probably too bright glow).
Attachments
shield_l.zip
(393.21 KiB) Downloaded 454 times
shield_s.zip
(341.2 KiB) Downloaded 473 times
screenshot.0017.jpg
shield.zip
(556.65 KiB) Downloaded 441 times
Unnamed

Postby restcoser » 02 Nov 2013, 13:51

(I love the shape of the third shield tbh)
restcoser

Postby TheLastProject » 02 Nov 2013, 14:13

I'm not so sure on the first shield, but I do agree with restcoser, the shape of the third shield is pretty loveable, and the second shield, well, is clearly a shield. Nothing bad can be said about that.
Hats, Afros, wings and raptor feet. This game is showing progress indeed.
TheLastProject

Postby Evropi » 02 Nov 2013, 15:26

I really like the third shield too. Its shape invokes the image of both a vest (such as stab vests that police wear) and a kite shield. The shape on it is cool too. I think the bright colour is also good, but we must be careful to keep things strictly colour-coded as the weapons already are in Red Eclipse (rifle is purple, grenades are green, etc).

As for the strength of the glow, I expect some tweaking will be done by Quinton or else. I don't think it's overly bright though in relation to the glow around other pickups currently in the game.
Evropi

Postby Ulukai » 02 Nov 2013, 16:41

You've got my thumbs up too! Nice job on the 3rd shield.
Ulukai

Postby freezurbern » 03 Nov 2013, 21:59

Yeah, honestly the third is the the best.
Red Eclipse username: skiingpenguins
freezurbern

Postby quintux_v » 04 Nov 2013, 06:19

3rd shield wins, although that glow blows out all the detail.
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v