something similar but 2d

something similar but 2d

Postby djinnkeeper » 27 Jun 2010, 23:54

The art for my game is 2d.. is it stupid to consider Syntensity for a 2d game or can someone suggest a 2d alternative?

djinnkeeper

Re: something similar but 2d

Postby charlie » 28 Jun 2010, 04:28

Perhaps you can be more specific regarding the needs of the game?
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby TheAncientGoat » 28 Jun 2010, 07:06

djin, you could be really cool and do something like this: Rock of Ages ie. use the 2d art you have as 3d sprites, in a 3d gameworld..

Other than that, I always thought giving syntensity a completely 2d aspect would be really cool, but at the moment we don't totally have the funtionality for it. You could try out Scirra if you like python and use windows, although I dont think it has the same online storage/multiplayer aspect.. The only examples I can think that matches that are closed source unfortunately..
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby djinnkeeper » 28 Jun 2010, 17:24

:)Charlie
My personal taste in games never grew very far past 1997. Suffice to say, all of the graphics that I create are done (mostly) using Gimp. I've never been much of a 3d artist, so while I'm not opposed to seeing this particular project portrayed in 3d, I don't see it happening with me churning out the graphics. I suppose that can always change, but.. Currently, in addition to the basic 2d-with-particle-effects package that tends to be offered by most 2d solutions, the most obscure feature I will require will be a more dynamic animation system.

Rather than breaking up each character animation in to whole-body frames, I have individual body parts. Hypothetically, animations can then be created with a combination of frame-by-frame and tweening.. A custom tool will probably be required, but I've considered trying to find something already available. (Once upon a time, back in Windows, I even considered trying to use Flash.. but probably wouldn't work) I think I've seen people reference this method as "skeletal animation" though I'm not sure this is correct or accurate. GraalOnline has the closest approximation to what I'm attempting to describe.

:cool:Goat
I figured it was too early to go requesting obscurities, but it's good to know that it has at least been on someone's mind. I have considered the possibility of using a billboarding/facing method of using 2d graphics in a 3d environment. One of the variations on the 2.5d concept, I suppose. Given its nature, my current design calls for a fixed camera angle during normal modes of play.. the mouse is only used for menus and as an alternate control option. The main reasons I have become so intrigued are Sytensity's use of Javascript for game logic, its availability on Ubuntu and the lobby feature. On the backburner of my game concept has always been some form of interactive environment for use outside of the actual game.. It's worth noting that when I first started designing this game, it was intended to be developed using Graal. When I realized what a poor choice that would have been, I began looking for a more optimal solution, where I could handle (or otherwise hire) my own hosting solution and actually have some flexibility. (Graal's scripting language was and probably still is, poorly documented crap.)

I know that so far (and for the most part, philosophically speaking) Syntensity is the closest match to what I have been searching for. Maybe in the future, we'll see something of a cousin to this, intended for simpler graphical styles.. or maybe just another lobby server with a different style (all retro style games or something) 2density? Naaaaah. ;)

Thanks for your replies, guys.
djinnkeeper

Postby TheAncientGoat » 28 Jun 2010, 17:29

Fixed camera + 2.5 d is already implemented, if you look in the lobby in the leftmost room TAG experiments, you'll see an example
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby djinnkeeper » 28 Jun 2010, 17:32

Oh dang! (Heads to the lobby)

followup AWESOME! I love what you guys are doing.
djinnkeeper

Postby adrix89 » 29 Jun 2010, 11:33

I'm pretty sure we don't have billboard for sprites so you'll be stuck with full 3d
As for alternative engines we have viewtopic.php?f=22&t=289 (but you have to be a programmer as the engine requires a not so easy language)
Love2d (lua I believe)
And panda3d (but seems to have 2d support and it has python as an language)
There are some other Java engines,but nobody likes java so I omit them
Skeleton animations refers to animating the bones that are done on the gpu in real time rather then snapshot frames of vertex for the model
How the skeleton is animated however is a different matter,it can be a normal static animation,multiple animations blended together or what I think your talking about is procedural animation where it is mathematically calculate in real time based on the environment.
Currently the skeletal animations currently blend between the lower body and upper body(so you can have a mix of run/walk and attack/idle) but the rest is fixed so you can do something with one hand while the upper body does something else(although you "might" achieve something with attachments)
adrix89

Postby leinir » 29 Jun 2010, 11:42

i would like to be able to offer Gluon for this, but this is only possible if you are able to wait until (estimation) the end of the Google Summer of Code period before you start work. If that is the case, then Gluon would be an option for you. While we are OpenGL(ES) based, the engine is focused on 2D games, and as such would likely work for you. The reason for the wait is a new materials system which is being developed as a side effect of one GSoC project.
leinir

Postby TheAncientGoat » 29 Jun 2010, 14:24

Shh adrix :P You can always make a flat mesh and do billboarding like that or hack the particle system (although that would be dirty)

+1 on gluon though, once its ready :)
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby adrix89 » 30 Jun 2010, 12:28

TheAncientGoat {l Wrote}:Shh adrix :P You can always make a flat mesh and do billboarding like that or hack the particle system (although that would be dirty)

+1 on gluon though, once its ready :)

You would have to animate it and eve if its possible to animate it there would be trouble with synchronization so it would need allot of hacking
And don't even start with the particles cause they are as static as mountains shackled by there hardcodedness
adrix89