RESOURCE: Help Wanted

Re: RESOURCE: Help Wanted

Postby qreeves » 31 Jul 2013, 01:44

Bright parts are a little over saturated, but the concept is interesting.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Dratz-_C » 31 Jul 2013, 05:04

Quin,
Do you think you might want a new version of the redone skybox planet with the light coming from the rear-upper-left for the "Red Eclipse" logo? [Deprecated Image removed]
Cheers
Last edited by Dratz-_C on 04 Aug 2013, 05:30, edited 3 times in total.
Dratz-_C

Postby ZeroKnight » 01 Aug 2013, 04:31

Sniper-Goth {l Wrote}:I played around with the emblem texture today, does it looks better this way?

The higher resolution is nice, I admire the gritty surface detail on the planetoid. I too think it's a bit over-saturated, and a little obnoxiously bright. Maybe you could also try making the flares of light a bit sharper and more pronounced?
[ Github ][ WazuClan -- irc.wazuclan.com #wazuclan ][ Zero's Archive of RE Extensions, Scripts, WeapMods & More! ]
ZeroKnight

Postby ballist1c » 02 Aug 2013, 07:04

Sniper-Goth {l Wrote}:I played around with the emblem texture today, does it looks better this way?

The planet, yes, the corona, no, not at all
Image Joseph "ballist1c" Calabria

Bloodlust // Abuse // Insidious // Longest Yard 2000
ballist1c

Postby Dratz-_C » 04 Aug 2013, 05:28

Hi Folks,
I am working on refresher candidate for the "Red Eclipse" logo icon. I'll post more about it when I have made additional progress.
Cheers
Last edited by Dratz-_C on 11 Aug 2013, 21:25, edited 1 time in total.
Dratz-_C

Postby Dratz-_C » 11 Aug 2013, 21:17

Hi Folks,
Here is a 1024x1024 planet and star I made with GIMP at 6128x6128. For the planet, I used a practical tutorial at http://www.gimptalk.com/index.php?/topic/5128-a-better-planet-tutorial/. The star is a modification of a purposefully uncopyrighted NASA source image which I have vetted by e-mail with the credited author, Stott Weissinger, for use in "Red Eclipse." It is intended to be in the style of the existing icon in the logo for "Red Eclipse." I was hoping that the extra detail would allow for more beauty while still adhering to the advantages of the existing formula.

Ulukai suggested directly using this image in the "Dutility" skybox. Here is an archive to extract into the ulukai folder in your home folder for testing.

I am also promptly releasing my GIMP project archive for this work, which is 35mb. I will be able to work on the core image and adapt it for a gamut of uses; I similarly encourage other folks to freely change the design and show us what it looks like in this Help Wanted thread. I place this work under a Image license. Where you have a constructive suggestion for this work please post about it here.

Base image:
Red_Eclipse_Logo_Icon_Redux.zip
red_eclipse_redux_logo_1-4.jpg

Icon and logo comparison:

Usage in "Dutility" skybox:
Cheers
Last edited by Dratz-_C on 07 Sep 2013, 01:36, edited 1 time in total.
Dratz-_C

Postby Ulukai » 11 Aug 2013, 21:46

I find this latest version looks quite nice! I wouldn't use it as a logo because it looks too detailed and too realistic for that, which isnt really the goal of a logo... But maybe it would look good in the official RE skybox, which might get updated for the next release anyway?
Ulukai

Postby ballist1c » 11 Aug 2013, 22:19

I would definitely, without a doubt, use it in the logo.

ballist1c

Postby quintux_v » 12 Aug 2013, 02:26

I'm agreeing with Ulukai here, I think that Dratz's version of the Eclipse should go towards use in the RE Skybox, while Sniper-goth's should be used in the logo, mostly because I think the flaring light looks better, truer to the original logo.
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Postby Dratz-_C » 12 Aug 2013, 02:49

Ulukai--and Other Folks,
I have looked at it when it is an icon on the GIMP taskbar and it looks fine there. Were I to add the "Red Eclipse" text and a few appropriately big flares, I think it would be as effective as the present logo. The benefit would be that it would facilitate consistency between small and large uses of the work from icons and logos to skyboxes and media publicity. My license encourages you to use this version 0.7.0 however you wish. Where I have time, I will put it in the starscape project and post it and its rendering for you.

I would like additional feedback on logo- and icon-centric matters. Your advice that the detail wouldn't show up all the time, even as I anticipated, is still valuable to me. I have some other foundational concerns. One that I need to communicate is that the star might be too big because it is larger than the planet. In the presently deployed version of the logo and icon, the planet is larger than the star.

Here are some visual comparisons. Moving clockwise from the top are usages in the "Red Eclipse" title screen, map select, webpage and windows operating system taskbar. Please note, that on the "Red Eclipse" taskbar icon comparison, the new candidate is on the left with the present icon on the right.
red_eclipse_present_and_redux_visual_comparison.jpg
Cheers
Last edited by Dratz-_C on 12 Aug 2013, 03:08, edited 1 time in total.
Dratz-_C

Postby ballist1c » 12 Aug 2013, 02:54

In all honesty, i like Dratz's more. it's more clean overall, the planet and star are much more distinctive from each other, it looks much more realistic, and it has a really good resolution. I support it for the logo. SniperGoth's could maybe go more on the ingame ad texture.

ballist1c

Postby Dratz-_C » 12 Aug 2013, 07:56

Here is the image placed in Ulukai's skybox.
Preview image:
red_eclipse2_skybox.jpg
Skybox archive:
RE_Dratz2.zip
I am also promptly letting folks have my GIMP project archive for this work, which is over 30mb. I will probably continue to work on the core image and adapt it for a gamut of uses; yet I encourage other folks to freely change the design and show us what it looks like in this Help Wanted thread.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby Ulukai » 12 Aug 2013, 09:15

That's shaping up nice, good work!
Ulukai

Postby Sniper-Goth » 12 Aug 2013, 16:06

I was messing with the background today a bit. This is what i've come up with.
Attachments
background.jpg
Red Eclipse in game name: Sniper-Goth/Sniper-quake3. Maps in the making: DOTA style map, ringed, train, ladder race,.
Sniper-Goth

Postby ZeroKnight » 14 Aug 2013, 02:34

Honestly, I really like the way that Dratz's version looks. There's quite a lot of detail that makes each body stand out, and the way the light is reflected onto the upper left surface of the planetoid looks great and gives it a much better sense of depth. Great work Dratz.
[ Github ][ WazuClan -- irc.wazuclan.com #wazuclan ][ Zero's Archive of RE Extensions, Scripts, WeapMods & More! ]
ZeroKnight

Postby ballist1c » 14 Aug 2013, 16:41

ZeroKnight {l Wrote}:Honestly, I really like the way that Dratz's version looks. There's quite a lot of detail that makes each body stand out, and the way the light is reflected onto the upper left surface of the planetoid looks great and gives it a much better sense of depth. Great work Dratz.

+1 :)

ballist1c

Postby Dratz-_C » 07 Sep 2013, 01:44

Hi Quin,
I hear that you are getting closer to a 1.5 release. Ulukai has said that he is waiting for your opinion on whether to use this art. What do you think about "Dutility" skybox and/or icon and logo usage of this work? I also welcome any constructive suggestions.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby ZeroKnight » 11 Sep 2013, 03:00

Please adopt this. It's even more polished than the last example... It's so sexy <3

Either way, it's going in my RE home as a custom texture :D
ZeroKnight

Postby ballist1c » 12 Sep 2013, 22:36

ZeroKnight {l Wrote}:Please adopt this. It's even more polished than the last example... It's so sexy <3

Either way, it's going in my RE home as a custom texture :D

+1 again it's really awesome :)

ballist1c

Postby qreeves » 23 Sep 2013, 04:58

In the SVN version, "defend the flag" has undergone a tuneup and makeover and come out as "defend and control". I've replaced the flags with "points" (or "nodes" if you prefer), and am currently using the old jumppad model for the base of the structure; this is obviously confusing for most people and needs to be changed. If anyone has the time and expertise, it would be great if they could help make a new model to put in its place.

20130923134132.jpg
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Julius » 23 Sep 2013, 18:05

Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Unnamed » 26 Sep 2013, 18:49

Here is what I made. The model had 186 verts before exporting and the md5mesh file has 400 verts. It is the first time I exported a model to md5 and it took a hour until it looked like it works.
I noticed the model is getting transparent when you approach it. It doesn't look good and is not necessary because the model is not tall.
Attachments
screenshot.0231.jpg
Last edited by Unnamed on 27 Sep 2013, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.
Unnamed

Postby TheLastProject » 26 Sep 2013, 18:55

You really are a Jack of all Trades when it comes to anything visual, aren't you, Unnamed? High quality maps, and now this good-looking mapmodel. I'd certainly like to see how that'd look in game, it looks like it could work pretty well.
Hats, Afros, wings and raptor feet. This game is showing progress indeed.
TheLastProject

Postby Ulukai » 26 Sep 2013, 21:36

I like the idea of it as well. Why do you say it doesn't look good, Unnamed? From what I see on the screenshot it is looking OK.
Ulukai

Postby qreeves » 27 Sep 2013, 02:59

In SVN, as you approach flags and points, they fade so they don't obscure the view. People noticed that you could hide a mine under the point model, so I had to apply it there too.

EDIT: You don't have to use MD5, and you're actually encouraged to use IQM/OBJ/etc these days I believe.
qreeves